Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently got a thermostat from Napa (Superstat 535080) which fits perfectly in the bike. One question is there appears to be a slight difference. On the thermostat that I replaced the was a fluid bypass hole on the flat face of the thermostat that seals off the two sides of the thermostat housing. On the Napa thermostat there is a hole in the same place but in the hole is a copper dumbell looking thing with one side of the dumbell flat like a paddle. The other side of the dumbell has a teardrop like shap facing the hole. The bar between the two ends of the dumbell is in the hole. It looks like this is some sort one way valve across that bypass hole. If you pull on the paddle side the tear drop side effectively seals off the hole.

Simple question: break it off or leave it alone ? Does anybody know what this dumbell type thingee is for ?

Thanks

Biker_Billy

BTW - This Goldwing Froum is the VERY BEST I've found ... the site works great and the people I've dealt with through this site have been OUTSTANDING !

·
Administrator
26,530 Posts
imported post

That's called a jiggle valve. It lets air go through to help when filling the system but stops the coolant from flowing through so it won't take too long to warm up.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The Jaguars use the jiggle valve as well. I see no harm in leaving it in place.

We always advise to have the jiggle valve mounted to the top of the thermostat housing, so that it's more apt to catch stray bubbles.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks,

You guys are way too much. I couldn't find anybody who knew what it was. Once again this Forum and the people that are part of it are the BEST!

Thanks Again

Biker_Billy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.