Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I changed my timing belts fallowing the instruction carefully but one question came to my mind: according to steve's topic, the belts must be mounted with the reading side facing me while i install them correct? Having the bike in front of me, looking at the pulleys, i should read what is written on the belts correct? At least this is what i did.

The question came to my mind when i noticed that the previous honda belts were installed on the left opposite reading side compared to the right one.

Have i done the right job then?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

The belts he fitted were Gates, and that's how they say to fit them. Also the Honda belts he took off had the writing facing him.

Replacing Timing Belts on a GL1500

I don't think it matters much anyway. All those aftermarket belts get used in many different engines and applications and they are made to run in either direction. The rule of thumb is that if there isn't a directional arrow on the belt, you can fit it either way.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Hey pippo, was it hard to change your timing belts?? I'd like to try this winter, but...I have never done it before, sooo.... I am little (NO, a LOT) apprehensive about tackling this job.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
imported post

maestro319 wrote:
Hey pippo, was it hard to change your timing belts?? I'd like to try this winter, but...I have never done it before, sooo.... I am little (NO, a LOT) apprehensive about tackling this job.

They look easier to change on the gl1500 because the radiators don't need to come out. Here is a good page for the gl1200 belts, with a video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200timingbelts.htm

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

maestro319 wrote:
I read about it 15 times, computer next to me and i took pictures of the points before starting. If you have experince with tools go for it but very slow step by step couz one bullshit and engine gone.

All in all isn't rocket sience once someone like steve explained you all lol but some steps are tricky. After all if you know how an engine works all is fine, if you don't know is like getting married without knowing the consequences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.