Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Michael (pwhoever) will be leading a Great River Road ride on Wednesday (06-19) for peoples who might be interested. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Not sure which day but I plan to ride to the "Field of Dreams" site & then maybe to the bike museum down by J&P Cycles

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to stay fairly close to Galena just in case of any troubles, But I probably will do a daily "Galena Loop" (roughly 100 mile ride) that has a lunch stop at Poopys.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Dang, did not know things changed to here. Guess hospital time will take one out of the loop.

Estella a.k.a The Bride and I are driving the Fiat up on Wednesday and camping in the Aspen at Blandings Landing at Hanover as we lived there for a year. Our ride in the Fiat was determined just an hour ago when we were showing our home health/help person where we were going. On a whim, we looked at Dubuque, IA and saw the Arboretum listed as a site. Estella immediately said we are going there. They have 13,000 Hostas in 900 varieties. She only has 147 and around 20 varieties in her Hostas garden. OMG, more Hostas means welding more 2" pipe up 8' in the air to put more shade cloth up.

We are having Goldwing withdrawal pains this spring. Well at least until I remember it blowing up in my face and the continued battle with the insurance company who we had insurance on the building that was 8' away. We do still have the front forks and wheel with the remains of the burned tire on it and I have some puddles of aluminum to look at. The rest is buried in a pit about 20' from where it died.

A word of warning. IF YOU EVER FUEL YOUR GOLDWING FROM A 5 GALLON PLASTIC CONTAINER BE SURE TO GROUND THE CONTAINER BEFORE POURING FUEL. As the fire cause investigators said, a static electricity caused explosion is a 1 in a Billion thing but someone has to be that 1 and you are it.

·
Administrator
57,680 Posts
A word of warning. IF YOU EVER FUEL YOUR GOLDWING FROM A 5 GALLON PLASTIC CONTAINER BE SURE TO GROUND THE CONTAINER BEFORE POURING FUEL. As the fire cause investigators said, a static electricity caused explosion is a 1 in a Billion thing but someone has to be that 1 and you are it.

ummm, Gary, Plastic is non-conductive, nothing for a Ground wire/clip to attach to. so that thought is useless.

If the gas can is metal, then yes, attach a grounding strap from it to the bike.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Plastic gas containers are highly subject to static electricity generation by the simple fact of gasoline sloshing around. Look at the warnings on most gasoline stations telling you to set plastic gas containers on the ground when fueling. In our case, I had put a metal funnel into the fill neck of the 1800 and then walked to the gas container and in the process of carrying it 12+ ft. it started storing static electricity. When I raised the full 5-gallon container up over the funnel and started pouring fuel into the funnel it gained more static electricity. The gas going into the tank caused vapors to exit back up thru the funnel and when I got the gas flowing I let the container down onto the metal funnel and BOOM. Thank goodness I had my safety gear on so only my face, beard, eyebrows got burned. The front of my safety coat melted and my leather gloves were not usable again.

The insurance company for the farm building near the exploding motorcycle sent a cause investigation team and it was determined it was static electricity.

When the vapors exploded I ended up about 12' away and the 5-gallon gas container was between the bike and building spewing burning gasoline onto the wooden building.

Static wires that are secured around something like the gas container neck or handle with a clip to attach it to what is being fueled are not uncommon. Especially in aircraft fueling which is very common today as most light aircraft can burn automobile pump gas.

If you notice today's plastic gas containers have that crazy filler neck that you have to place on the being fueled tank and then push to release the gas to flow. That is simply to make sure the gas tank and the gasoline container are both at the same electrical potential and that removes the chances of vapors being ignited like it did on me.

One should set the gas container on the ground for an instant to bleed off the static or touch the outside of the container to the object being fueled.

It only takes one explosion of gasoline vapors in your face to understand that plastic gas containers are dangerous. I would have argued it would not happen before August 19, 2018 but now tell everyone I see using them to be careful.

BTW, living out in the country it took 30 minutes for fire departments to get here. I sat on a pipe rack, with my face hurting like ###, crying at our beautiful Goldwing burning to the ground and also the building that had at least 20 NOS truck tires that my Father in Law brought home when he sold his gas station. He always figured to sell them but never did. Tons of antiques in the building, including Estella's Grandmothers wood beam plow she broke ground with outside Harden, MT when she was just 18 and homesteading land. Insurance Co. refuses to agree on the value of a family heirloom like that. They depreciated almost everything at 75%. We have replacement value insurance but trying to find places to buy many of the items lost is impossible.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Static electricity does happen on / with plastic. I used to drive a big truck hauling sand. The bed of the trailer had some kind of Plastic / Teflon liner. When I would sweep out the trailer in between sand loads, I was always getting zapped.

·
Administrator
57,680 Posts
Static electricity does happen on / with plastic. I used to drive a big truck hauling sand. The bed of the trailer had some kind of Plastic / Teflon liner. When I would sweep out the trailer in between sand loads, I was always getting zapped.

the plastic is an Insulator, and it is for that reason, that Static Electricity can build up when you are sweeping the sand out of that trailer bed.

Same thing happens in our cars on cold/dry days.
Slide off the seat w/o first grabbing the door handle, and whap!

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Not sure which day but I plan to ride to the "Field of Dreams" site & then maybe to the bike museum down by J&P Cycles
The museum in Anamosa is pretty decent. I am to understand the J&P warehouse is closed but the retail store is still there. I believe ol J&P supplied a lot of the bikes in the museum. Maybe we should all bring our ball gloves and get into a game of step up at the field of dreams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Michael (pwhoever) will be leading a Great River Road ride on Wednesday (06-19) for peoples who might be interested. :smile2:
I'm interested, however, how are we doing flood stage wise? I would love to travel north and cross over at La Cross, were talking 280 miles, that's an all-day event, pwhowever. :grin3:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to stay fairly close to Galena just in case of any troubles, But I probably will do a daily "Galena Loop" (roughly 100 mile ride) that has a lunch stop at Poopys.
I'm in, I promise I'll stay awake this time.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
So, to what part of the non-conductive plastic can should we attach the ground strap?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested, however, how are we doing flood stage wise? I would love to travel north and cross over at La Cross, were talking 280 miles, that's an all-day event, pwhowever. :grin3:

Who is worried about a little water. There was a video on FB a couple of weeks ago showing a guy on a bike that crosses a 3 mile lake.:cam:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts