Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
First time I've seen this thread, didn't see it 'cause it wasn't "followed" in "new posts" button. I was kinda bored and started surfing the site, I found this thread near the "Deer Alerts" stuff that I deliberately ignore, and here I am.....

I had Intended to make it to the GWDocs gathering in Wise VA last month on my return trip from visiting family in Michigan by by detouring south, but I cancelled. It's a long way from Colorado to Michigan to Virginia and then back to Colorado. We logged almost 3000 miles on the bike pulling the camper without the Virginia side trip. Deb was grumpy about 550 extra miles to Virginia plus planned rides while there, and I suspect she and my brothers conspired to make me stay in Michigan. That's okay, though, as Dad's health is failing, he's 95 yrs old, Alzheimer's is in control now, and this past trip last month will most likely be the last time I see Dad alive.

Custer SD is only about 350 miles from here, an easy day's ride. Deb and I camped just north of Custer in good view of Crazy Horse monument years ago pulling the camper with the car. I bet I can convince her to do it again with the camper on the bike. If not, there's always the hotels.....

There's a lot of members on both main sites (GWfacts, GWdocs) that live in the West, we would appreciate a gathering that didn't take 4 days just to get there. I've even considered tossing my hat in the air to try to organize some kind of gathering here in the west 'cause there haven't been any, but Custer SD beats me to it.

To John (AZgl1800), I am well aware of the "Bad Air" between some of the admins here and Scott of GWDocs, As you know a good many of the regulars here are also regular there, too. Many tech threads on both sites cross-post to the other, that has never been an issue that I can see. But you are an Admin here, and I am also aware that Scott is sensitive about NASR. For the benefit of 'Wingers on both sites, why not ask Scott permission to cross-post this NASR meet. Sooner or later the "Bad Air" should end, the final result is we all ride a "GL-something" (or a Piaggio) and we'll all work together to see the best-running "Old Wings" on the planet. Or do I still have to catch my hat out of the air and try to organize something in the West on the other site for next year, and fail miserably?

At any rate, I'm going to go to Custer, with or without the Camper, and if it comes to that, with or without Deb.

NASR-14, count me "in".

DenverWinger ~ Mark

Registered
First time I've seen this thread, didn't see it 'cause it wasn't "followed" in "new posts" button. I was kinda bored and started surfing the site, I found this thread near the "Deer Alerts" stuff that I deliberately ignore, and here I am.....

I had Intended to make it to the GWDocs gathering in Wise VA last month on my return trip from visiting family in Michigan by by detouring south, but I cancelled. It's a long way from Colorado to Michigan to Virginia and then back to Colorado. We logged almost 3000 miles on the bike pulling the camper without the Virginia side trip. Deb was grumpy about 550 extra miles to Virginia plus planned rides while there, and I suspect she and my brothers conspired to make me stay in Michigan. That's okay, though, as Dad's health is failing, he's 95 yrs old, Alzheimer's is in control now, and this past trip last month will most likely be the last time I see Dad alive.

Custer SD is only about 350 miles from here, an easy day's ride. Deb and I camped just north of Custer in good view of Crazy Horse monument years ago pulling the camper with the car. I bet I can convince her to do it again with the camper on the bike. If not, there's always the hotels.....

There's a lot of members on both main sites (GWfacts, GWdocs) that live in the West, we would appreciate a gathering that didn't take 4 days just to get there. I've even considered tossing my hat in the air to try to organize some kind of gathering here in the west 'cause there haven't been any, but Custer SD beats me to it.

To John (AZgl1800), I am well aware of the "Bad Air" between some of the admins here and Scott of GWDocs, As you know a good many of the regulars here are also regular there, too. Many tech threads on both sites cross-post to the other, that has never been an issue that I can see. But you are an Admin here, and I am also aware that Scott is sensitive about NASR. For the benefit of 'Wingers on both sites, why not ask Scott permission to cross-post this NASR meet. Sooner or later the "Bad Air" should end, the final result is we all ride a "GL-something" (or a Piaggio) and we'll all work together to see the best-running "Old Wings" on the planet. Or do I still have to catch my hat out of the air and try to organize something in the West on the other site for next year, and fail miserably?

At any rate, I'm going to go to Custer, with or without the Camper, and if it comes to that, with or without Deb.

NASR-14, count me "in".

DenverWinger ~ Mark
BTW - Deer alerts Don't work. 馃ぃ

• Haha
Reactions: Rcameron

Registered
I thought we did cross post on *.docs last year?
Custer SD 2022? This thread is the first I'd heard of it (unless I missed it somehow on *docs),. and I read both sites thoroughly. (except for the Deer Alerts that don't work.)

I have been cross posting help links from here to *.docs and there back to this forum. Scott has never deleted any of those that I am aware.

I have made folks aware, that I post "good info" from where ever I find it, if the source is valid the name of the source is not important.
unlike 'glriders' who refuse to accept any off site links period. that is anathema to good sportsmanship.
This is probably why these two sites have so much more activity than the rest of them. 馃榿

Registered
This time of year is probably wise to plan "Kickstands Up" for later in the morning (10ish), Some of us older coots don't do well with cold.

Of course, the temperatures listed above are "Average" figures. It could be way warmer or way colder than average on the scheduled days. We won't know for sure until maybe a week before actual event. Best to keep all options open as it's early in the season.

Registered
I just booked and confirmed reservations for Deb an I at the Best Western, nights of 21st to 23rd. Still got the group rate. I think the original post said the group rate was open until May 22, so hurry up and book.

Deb and I will depart home Morning of Tue June 21, about 400 miles between here and there, we should arrive in Custer in the evening so will miss Tue events, will find you all Tues eve. Heading for home Friday Morning.

Cut the first day of the events, don't want to be gone too long, the poor kitty-cats will be left on their own and will get mad at us! 馃悎 馃悎馃榿

Registered
Denver is only 375 or so miles from Custer and Deb has to work Mon 20th, so we will be departing Denver Tue morning 21st, should arrive Custer that evening. Will miss Monday and Tuesday activities but should arrive in time to find y'all in the tent Tue evening. Plan to participate Weds and Thurs but will be heading home again Fri morning. Work schedules rule. No camper trailer this time, we will pack whatever we can get in the bike bags and do without whatever else that doesn't fit.

Upside of that is we should get 200+ miles to a tank of fuel instead of "maybe" 150 with the camper. Let's go Brandon!

Registered
Maybe I'll see you on the road.
I'll be staying at the Motel 6 on Kipling exit but I'm headed up to Carhenge on the way.
When does Bike think you'll both be here? Still up to meet you for a coffee. We don't plan to leave town until Tues morning due to Deb work schedule but plan to bee-line up US 85 to Newcastle WY and then East on US-16 30 miles more to Custer. I'm off work officially today until the 27th

I'll PM you my cell #, you can call or text.

Registered
Well, if you are Sunday night in Blanding and Monday night in Denver, sounds like we'll both be departing Denver Tues Morning. We could ride up together.

Registered
N - haven't. Heard of it though.

Registered
Bike was being cranky and no starty? Bad Bike. You should feed it a gallon of diesel fuel for that trick!

Glad you made it home safe and sound, especially after the deer incident. We stopped in Torrington WY on the way home, same place we stopped on way up to Custer for fuel, but wind was so blowy that Deb was scared to death. Prolly 60mph cross gusts! Blew my glasses off my face into the weeds, and tried to take my helmet, too! Tried to blow Deb off the bike. We got about 8 miles out of town and Deb made me turn around and go back to Torrington. We sat there another 30 mins waiting for the wind to die down a little. Got wet in Cheyenne, and again reaching outskirts of Denver.

Those are some really nice pictures! :)

Reactions: Wingnut73
1 - 10 of 10 Posts