Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,498 Posts
So myself and the lad should be headed out next Fri and an easy 4 day journey. But that's assuming my truck gets fixed this Monday...
A check engine light showed up again last week and a preliminary diagnosis is the Cylinder 1 fuel injector is bad and needs to be replaced. Long story short, so far I'm underwhelmed with this dealer service department and it's my first time but probably last time using them. But they were the only ones close that could get me in. I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Maybe no one else wants to use them either. Yup, thats right, I said it...

But hopefully just a small bump in the road and I will still be able to have the toyhauler hitched up Thur nite and ready for a Fri a.m. departure. We will see. There are backup plans just in case but not as relaxing or comfortable.

·
Pwhoever
3,498 Posts
thought you lived in ShiKago area?
that is not a 4 day drive
Not any more. Im now a full time Cheesehead and living large in Wis-cahn-sin. Long story but short answer is I had a life change a couple months ago. The Friday departure is so we can take a leisurely trip along backroads and arrive by early afternoon on Monday.

our RV Fridge is giving me fits, big time!!!!!
Ordered a new A/C heating element for it, and the old one is froze in Solid with Rust.....
so far, have sprayed it with Lawson Products Rust Dissolver, brand new, unused can, spewed once, and broke, emptying itself in a horrifying mess all over the place. Everything is slick with Teflon feel, my tools, the side of the RV, the concrete, Dangerous Territory :mad:

So, decided to clean the Propane burner, no Pipe Cleaners in this town anywhere, ????????? o_O
so, bought some frilly looking things that kids play with that look like pipe cleaners, wound up 4 of them and crushed them into the burner pipe, hope they pull out the crud.

I am ready to junk that Dometic fridge and buy a 12VDC compressor fridge, EverChill, freezer will go to -10*F easily within 2 hours.
Takes the Dometic 24 hours to do that.

Although I have seen some negative comments on the RV forums about the Everchill, I see way more on the Dometics. I have a 10cuft Everchill in my toyhauler and it hasn't given me any problems. Mine doesn't have the glass front doors though. The only thing I have done to it is reverse the doors because the way Forest River installed it, the doors wouldnt open up far enough to adjust the shelves. Now I can.

·
Pwhoever
3,498 Posts
Me and little man are otw. We left Silver Lake WI yesterday but got off to a bad start. We made it to Lake Cornelia campground just north of Clarion IA and luckily got a spot. Today we made it to Snake Creek State Recreation Area just west of Platte SD and again were able to reserve a site. So we are roughly 280 miles from Custer and will be pulling into the Buffalo Ridge Campground sometime in the afternoon.

On today's trip especially after getting into South Dakota, I started to worry that I might have my weight distribution hitch set up wrong because I kept getting some twitching/ swaying of the trailer. It was a bit concerning. I did notice that the grass and sone of the trees seemed to be getting blown pretty good from the wind. So going west bound was where I felt it the most. Going north, it seemed to smooth out. I did check the weather and they were only reporting 13 mph winds. After getting to campground, I ended up in a discussion with some other campers and found that there were high wind warnings this afternoon for the area and some of the other campers bailed early because of the warnings. So I probably shouldn't have even been on the road. Hopefully tomorrow's drive should be non eventful.

Just to add, temps all afternoon were at leat 100⁰ or just over. I was glad to be driving in my air conditioned truck...

·
Pwhoever
3,498 Posts
Well we are still out living the epic adventure. Made it to Cody, WY yesterday with the Snores. Only trouble was the truck complaining as we climbed the first neverending steep grade up into the Big Horn mountains on 16 from Buffalo pulling the toyhauler camper. It seemed like the climb would never stop. Engine coolant got up to 260⁰ and it was time for a quick stop. A little idling and it was time to go again. No more problems the rest of the way. We had just filled up in Buffalo and I put that stupid 85.5 octane stuff in and it seemed to lack power. Never again. At least 87 or better from now on. But I'll bet that I probably have no carbon buildup left in the engine from all that heat, LOL!!!

Anyways, we all got in a nice ride along the entire Chief Joseph highway from start to finish and into Cooke City. Then turned around after some sightseeing and drove the entire length of Chief Joseph in reverse. Absolutely amazing views. Tonight we had an excellent dinner and cowboy music show at the Cody Cattle Company. Tomorrow we will be joining some members from GL1800riders forum and headed to Yellowstone to see some of the southern areas of the park! We are greatful that they at least opened this part of the park. Monday will start the long trek back to Wisconsin.

But I need to give a big thank you to Rex and Cindy for all their work to make the NASR an absolute success, Randy and Debby for their excellent navigation for the ride to Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, and other neat places, Scott for the special gift to little Mike, (he understands the importance and is very proud ro have it) to Fran and Derek for surprising little Mike on auction night and to everyone that sang him Happy Birthday, (He loved it! ) to Bill and Doug for their amazing auction skills and I could go on forever because we truly are a part of such a wonderful group of folks that I consider family. You guys made a wonderful impression on little Mike that he will never forget. I do wish that I could have visited more with everyone as much as I usually do but since little Mike wanted to make this road trip, he needed to get his special time as well.

As far as getting home, I will post it once we finally get there. I thinking it will probably be sometime on Thursday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts