Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Senior Moments!
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The one word that describes the Needles Highway well is excitement. For many it is the twisty roads and for others it is the tunnels. The best part - you are always excited for the next time you go.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
I rode that following a car most of the way about 20 mph so didn't have any fun.

• Sad
Reactions: Rcameron

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
Yeah, last time I went to Sturgis, I rode through there and all the roads were pretty bogged down with Harleys. Very slow going.

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
The last time I was in the black hills with the trike I was also stuck behind a bunch of slow traffic, they were all Corvettes. I couldn’t believe they were going so slow, well below the speed limit.

·
Senior Moments!
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Senior Moments!
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)

One of the many tunnels on Needles highway... Black Hills, SD

·
Senior Moments!
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
967 Posts
First time I've seen this thread, didn't see it 'cause it wasn't "followed" in "new posts" button. I was kinda bored and started surfing the site, I found this thread near the "Deer Alerts" stuff that I deliberately ignore, and here I am.....

I had Intended to make it to the GWDocs gathering in Wise VA last month on my return trip from visiting family in Michigan by by detouring south, but I cancelled. It's a long way from Colorado to Michigan to Virginia and then back to Colorado. We logged almost 3000 miles on the bike pulling the camper without the Virginia side trip. Deb was grumpy about 550 extra miles to Virginia plus planned rides while there, and I suspect she and my brothers conspired to make me stay in Michigan. That's okay, though, as Dad's health is failing, he's 95 yrs old, Alzheimer's is in control now, and this past trip last month will most likely be the last time I see Dad alive.

Custer SD is only about 350 miles from here, an easy day's ride. Deb and I camped just north of Custer in good view of Crazy Horse monument years ago pulling the camper with the car. I bet I can convince her to do it again with the camper on the bike. If not, there's always the hotels.....

There's a lot of members on both main sites (GWfacts, GWdocs) that live in the West, we would appreciate a gathering that didn't take 4 days just to get there. I've even considered tossing my hat in the air to try to organize some kind of gathering here in the west 'cause there haven't been any, but Custer SD beats me to it.

To John (AZgl1800), I am well aware of the "Bad Air" between some of the admins here and Scott of GWDocs, As you know a good many of the regulars here are also regular there, too. Many tech threads on both sites cross-post to the other, that has never been an issue that I can see. But you are an Admin here, and I am also aware that Scott is sensitive about NASR. For the benefit of 'Wingers on both sites, why not ask Scott permission to cross-post this NASR meet. Sooner or later the "Bad Air" should end, the final result is we all ride a "GL-something" (or a Piaggio) and we'll all work together to see the best-running "Old Wings" on the planet. Or do I still have to catch my hat out of the air and try to organize something in the West on the other site for next year, and fail miserably?

At any rate, I'm going to go to Custer, with or without the Camper, and if it comes to that, with or without Deb.

NASR-14, count me "in".

DenverWinger ~ Mark

·
Registered
967 Posts
First time I've seen this thread, didn't see it 'cause it wasn't "followed" in "new posts" button. I was kinda bored and started surfing the site, I found this thread near the "Deer Alerts" stuff that I deliberately ignore, and here I am.....

I had Intended to make it to the GWDocs gathering in Wise VA last month on my return trip from visiting family in Michigan by by detouring south, but I cancelled. It's a long way from Colorado to Michigan to Virginia and then back to Colorado. We logged almost 3000 miles on the bike pulling the camper without the Virginia side trip. Deb was grumpy about 550 extra miles to Virginia plus planned rides while there, and I suspect she and my brothers conspired to make me stay in Michigan. That's okay, though, as Dad's health is failing, he's 95 yrs old, Alzheimer's is in control now, and this past trip last month will most likely be the last time I see Dad alive.

Custer SD is only about 350 miles from here, an easy day's ride. Deb and I camped just north of Custer in good view of Crazy Horse monument years ago pulling the camper with the car. I bet I can convince her to do it again with the camper on the bike. If not, there's always the hotels.....

There's a lot of members on both main sites (GWfacts, GWdocs) that live in the West, we would appreciate a gathering that didn't take 4 days just to get there. I've even considered tossing my hat in the air to try to organize some kind of gathering here in the west 'cause there haven't been any, but Custer SD beats me to it.

To John (AZgl1800), I am well aware of the "Bad Air" between some of the admins here and Scott of GWDocs, As you know a good many of the regulars here are also regular there, too. Many tech threads on both sites cross-post to the other, that has never been an issue that I can see. But you are an Admin here, and I am also aware that Scott is sensitive about NASR. For the benefit of 'Wingers on both sites, why not ask Scott permission to cross-post this NASR meet. Sooner or later the "Bad Air" should end, the final result is we all ride a "GL-something" (or a Piaggio) and we'll all work together to see the best-running "Old Wings" on the planet. Or do I still have to catch my hat out of the air and try to organize something in the West on the other site for next year, and fail miserably?

At any rate, I'm going to go to Custer, with or without the Camper, and if it comes to that, with or without Deb.

NASR-14, count me "in".

DenverWinger ~ Mark
BTW - Deer alerts Don't work. 🤣

• Haha

·
Senior Moments!
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

NASR-14, count me "in".

DenverWinger ~ Mark
Look forward to seeing you! Stay tuned here to catch all the updated news about the event as we will be posting more information about meals, t-shirts, etc. as we get closer.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
780 Posts
Interested, and "in" for updates!

@klook

Might have to trailer both bikes there because it's halfway across the country, and then we can swap driving duties between four people. I'll start looking for a dual GL1800 bike lift deck, LOL.

Deer alerts work. :p

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
I thought we did cross post on *.docs last year?
it was done by Andy 'Lopeha' IIRC

I have been cross posting help links from here to *.docs and there back to this forum. Scott has never deleted any of those that I am aware.

I have made folks aware, that I post "good info" from where ever I find it, if the source is valid the name of the source is not important.
unlike 'glriders' who refuse to accept any off site links period. that is anathema to good sportsmanship.

as of this week, my daughter says she wants to go, which increases the Logistics for me a lot.....
I planned on just trailering the Piaggio on the Tilt Bed trailer with a minimum of Fuss and lost MPG on the truck....
IF, she can abide by loosing the Toy Hauler, then we will make the trip that way.... if not, then I have to do a LOT of prep work on the Toy Hauler as it has not been maintained like it should since we got home from Florida with it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I thought we did cross post on *.docs last year?
Custer SD 2022? This thread is the first I'd heard of it (unless I missed it somehow on *docs),. and I read both sites thoroughly. (except for the Deer Alerts that don't work.)

I have been cross posting help links from here to *.docs and there back to this forum. Scott has never deleted any of those that I am aware.

I have made folks aware, that I post "good info" from where ever I find it, if the source is valid the name of the source is not important.
unlike 'glriders' who refuse to accept any off site links period. that is anathema to good sportsmanship.
This is probably why these two sites have so much more activity than the rest of them. 😁

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
Rex, and Crew,
I am copying my PM from Scott here:

Re: Cross Posting forum events

Sent: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:22 am
Recipient: AZgl1800

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:44 am I have been asked if you would mind letting Rex Cameron (host) cross link a post about next year's NASR-14 event in Custer SD.

It has been brought up that our country has a lot of members who can't participate in a lot of events because of the extra long distances from their homes to where a lot of events seem to be predominate ( east half of lower-48 )

Hope you are having a good day,
John

sigh / now a former gl1800 rider ( gave it to my son last month )

Sure, post away!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts