Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,082 Posts
Maybe I'll see you on the road.
I'll be staying at the Motel 6 on Kipling exit but I'm headed up to Carhenge on the way.
When does Bike think you'll both be here? Still up to meet you for a coffee. We don't plan to leave town until Tues morning due to Deb work schedule but plan to bee-line up US 85 to Newcastle WY and then East on US-16 30 miles more to Custer. I'm off work officially today until the 27th

I'll PM you my cell #, you can call or text.

Reactions: Rcameron

·
Senior Moments!
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
When does Bike think you'll both be here? Still up to meet you for a coffee. We don't plan to leave town until Tues morning due to Deb work schedule but plan to bee-line up US 85 to Newcastle WY and then East on US-16 30 miles more to Custer. I'm off work officially today until the 27th

I'll PM you my cell #, you can call or text.
See you there!! Safe travels...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,868 Posts
I'm leaving tomorrow morning. Overnights in Blanding and Denver.
Been planning Denver to Custer via Alliance/Carhenge, however, I've been also thinking of doing that on the return trip.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, if you are Sunday night in Blanding and Monday night in Denver, sounds like we'll both be departing Denver Tues Morning. We could ride up together.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
N - haven't. Heard of it though.

·
Pwhoever
3,467 Posts
Me and little man are otw. We left Silver Lake WI yesterday but got off to a bad start. We made it to Lake Cornelia campground just north of Clarion IA and luckily got a spot. Today we made it to Snake Creek State Recreation Area just west of Platte SD and again were able to reserve a site. So we are roughly 280 miles from Custer and will be pulling into the Buffalo Ridge Campground sometime in the afternoon.

On today's trip especially after getting into South Dakota, I started to worry that I might have my weight distribution hitch set up wrong because I kept getting some twitching/ swaying of the trailer. It was a bit concerning. I did notice that the grass and sone of the trees seemed to be getting blown pretty good from the wind. So going west bound was where I felt it the most. Going north, it seemed to smooth out. I did check the weather and they were only reporting 13 mph winds. After getting to campground, I ended up in a discussion with some other campers and found that there were high wind warnings this afternoon for the area and some of the other campers bailed early because of the warnings. So I probably shouldn't have even been on the road. Hopefully tomorrow's drive should be non eventful.

Just to add, temps all afternoon were at leat 100⁰ or just over. I was glad to be driving in my air conditioned truck...

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,599 Posts
RON in Salina KS KOA last night.
today, started out very nice, truck crusing along easy a pie...

then the cross winds hit...... ugh, 35 mph says the Wx boys, but when you drop down a steep hill cut deep into the terrain and come out at the bottom, the funnel effect makes it twice as bad...

at Colby KS, we turned due north and all Tail winds, nice..... then the temps went to 98*F, not so nice, but the truck did fine, radiator stayed at 195*F

was sure glad to see KOA Journey in Ogallala NE

had to have a gripe to make the day right.
before we left, I had the RV in the shop and asked to have all of the drain valves repaired and the 2 lost handles replaced.

well, pulled the 1st handle and it disappeared somewhere??? the jerks just threaded it on once or maybe twice, and it pulled right off the stem. 🤬 🤬 🤬

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,599 Posts
woke up at 1 a.m. MST for a nature call, now it is 4 a.m.
damn, gonna be hard to stay awake driving....
oh, that is what those Caffeine pills are for :oops:

·
Registered
2016 GoldWing ABS
6 Posts
Alan Zabransky here; Left Custer on 6/24 @ 9:00 am Mountain Time, arrived safe and sound in Chicago on 6/25 @ 1:00 am Central Time. Decided to make the non-stop run to home after looking at weather reports for today. Tough call. Ride a few extra hours or ride in the rain for 6-10 hours. Anyway, as a first time NASR participant, here are my thoughts:

1) WOW - What an event! Big hand to Rex and all the other planners; I've herded cats before, but you somehow managed to herd WET cats for this event. Job Well Done!
2) Thanks to everyone that welcomed me and made me feel welcome, from the conversations to the individual rides.
a) Scott and Deb - Tuesday to Devils Tower/Deadwood was a great start to the week. What started as a VERY COOL (57F) ride turned into a beautiful day.​
b) Randy and Deb - Wednesday through Custer and you adding my wish-list to your intended course was a true surprise. Thanks for making the detours.​
c) Mark, Deb, and Dennis - Thursday's trip to Deadwood/Sturgis was a great last ride. I hope it was everything you expected.​
3) Thursday night auction: That was fun, both watching and participating.
4) Driving home, stopped for fuel, etc. Low and behold the Fly's are filling up too. Quick selfie with them then back on the road.

This event was everything I expected and more.
Thank you all. Hope to see you again at NASR 15.

Alan

·
Pwhoever
3,467 Posts
Well we are still out living the epic adventure. Made it to Cody, WY yesterday with the Snores. Only trouble was the truck complaining as we climbed the first neverending steep grade up into the Big Horn mountains on 16 from Buffalo pulling the toyhauler camper. It seemed like the climb would never stop. Engine coolant got up to 260⁰ and it was time for a quick stop. A little idling and it was time to go again. No more problems the rest of the way. We had just filled up in Buffalo and I put that stupid 85.5 octane stuff in and it seemed to lack power. Never again. At least 87 or better from now on. But I'll bet that I probably have no carbon buildup left in the engine from all that heat, LOL!!!

Anyways, we all got in a nice ride along the entire Chief Joseph highway from start to finish and into Cooke City. Then turned around after some sightseeing and drove the entire length of Chief Joseph in reverse. Absolutely amazing views. Tonight we had an excellent dinner and cowboy music show at the Cody Cattle Company. Tomorrow we will be joining some members from GL1800riders forum and headed to Yellowstone to see some of the southern areas of the park! We are greatful that they at least opened this part of the park. Monday will start the long trek back to Wisconsin.

But I need to give a big thank you to Rex and Cindy for all their work to make the NASR an absolute success, Randy and Debby for their excellent navigation for the ride to Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, and other neat places, Scott for the special gift to little Mike, (he understands the importance and is very proud ro have it) to Fran and Derek for surprising little Mike on auction night and to everyone that sang him Happy Birthday, (He loved it! ) to Bill and Doug for their amazing auction skills and I could go on forever because we truly are a part of such a wonderful group of folks that I consider family. You guys made a wonderful impression on little Mike that he will never forget. I do wish that I could have visited more with everyone as much as I usually do but since little Mike wanted to make this road trip, he needed to get his special time as well.

As far as getting home, I will post it once we finally get there. I thinking it will probably be sometime on Thursday.

·
Premium Member
2021 Tour
830 Posts
Made it home on Sunday around noon and 96 degree heat. Drove in rain and coolness from north of Joplin Mo. to Fayetteville Ar. My best to the hosts for a great time and the Big Man for the weather at Custer. I had 3082 miles when I got home. Certainly a record for me. Glad to seen all once again !

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,868 Posts
Well, the trip home was miserable. Windy, then extremely wet the whole way.
Friday I did get a couple shots I wanted of Carhenge and Chimney Rock, but just south of there we hit a deer. Bike refused to pose anymore after that.
Then, when we didn't stop overnight in Gallup it refused to let me use the cruise control and I had to wrist-it from there home.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that after being left out in the rain overnight at the motel in Las Vegas, NM bike refused to start. I had to call in a jump to coax it into submission.

A couple pics:

Rushmore
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Crazy Horse
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light

Carhenge
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

Chimney Rock
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant

141 - 160 of 164 Posts