Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any special requests for things to see and do in the area of Simcoe so I thought I would post a few to start the ball rolling and get a feel for what people would find interesting.

Simcoe itself is a small farm town with most of the fast food outlets including DQ so there shouldn't be any withdrawal symptoms for those requiring cholesterol intake. They have a Wal-mart too.

The lay of the surrounding countryside is pleasant gentle curves and hills so one shouldn't get into too much trouble. Tail of the Dragon it is not.

I'm throwing the following up for starters and will add or edit as I find more details.

Port Dover: A beach town a few miles south, known for their perch and chip restaurants. Biker friendly.

If it's on the north shore of Lake Erie and has the name "Port" it will likely have a fish and chip shop.

Canadian Warplane Heritage, Hamilton: A flying collection of military aircraft primarily from WW II when engines growled instead of whined.

Motorcycle and Military Museum, Brantford: A collection as the title says.

Haunted Houses of Hamilton: If someone wants to look for Casper I can see what's in the works.

Niagara Falls: It can be 1 1/2 hours away or much longer if one takes the back roads.

Niagara on the Lake (NOTL): A quaint little town where jay walkers step off the curb without looking.

Bell Homestead, Brantford: Worlds first phone call came from here.

Kitchener Waterloo: A twin city arrangement. Not much in the cities but it's the edge of Mennonite country if you're into buggy watching.

Railway Museum, St Thomas: There is a working line from St Thomas to Port Stanley.

Welland: See the Welland Canal as the ships lock through.

Royal Botanical Gardens, Hamilton: Large expanse of gardens, woods, greenhouses and fields.

I'll look for more to add or you can browse www.cruisethecoast.ca for yourself.

Toronto is technically an hour and a half away but you start getting the feel of it a lot sooner. If anyone in interested in the CN Tower, Toronto Islands or other attractions PM me and I will try to get you info.
FWIW someone commented that the only good riding road in Toronto is the one leaving the city.

Please feel free to add or comment.

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
African Lion Safari.

It is a drive through zoo but you sure won't want to do that on a Motorcycle but they do have buses to ride on.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Hamilton and St Catharines both have a fair sized Korean and Thai population, and so, both cities have restaurants which cater to these ethnic tastes. This means spicy, lots of chili, lots of hot, if you want it. I have sampled several in St Catharines and they are all good. I have not had the same pleasure in Hamilton, but expect it would be as good.

St Catharines also has the Welland Canal, with it's locks to move very large oar ships from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie which can be an entertaining, but very slow, watching occasion. Port Dalhousie, the north end of St Catharines is a quaint little town with a maritime taste.

The North Service road from St Catharines to Hamilton boasts flea markets, restaurants, scenic views and manufacturers outlet stores.

The entire area between Niagara on the Lake and Hamilton is filled with wineries, which all have tours on one day or another. Just south of Jordan Station is a campground called Shangri La that is a nice friendly place to stay while touring those wineries.

·
Administrator
20,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa! For a minute I thought we were talking about Africa!!
I don't know if visiting Wild Rhinos get a discount on admission.:)

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
I thought you were referring to TORONTO >.............:shock:

Well...yes...that too!

Just thought some might find that place interesting. I guess because no matter what city I am in I always like to see the zoo.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Should probably think about a spin around the Forks of the Credit bit of a ride but a nice afternoon. Its always top or close to the top of any list if Motorcycle routes
http://bikeroads.atspace.com/roads.htm#tor

there is one switch back that might be a problem, many of the other roads listed are either close by or on the way too.. one of my favorite rides.
here is a video of the switchback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwtzXOctXoM

Forgot to mention - the forks of the Credit is a Great Fly Fishing spot

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Mike, the view of Niagara Falls is definitely better from the Canadian side. I do plan on leading a ride into Niagara Falls, hopefully on Thursday.

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
:claps: That sounds great Bob . We are awaiting the passport :( . I am also trying to map my route up . I think possibly enter thru Buffalo after a visit with relatives in Richmond Va . I need to contact BestWestern too .

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Can I spend our worthless american greenbacks or do i need to upgrade them at the border for your currency ? Is mastercard widely accepted , let the credit card folks worry about exchange rates ect ?

Is there a website which can inform us on what to be sure NOT to cross the border with ? I know not to carry a weapon . But I have no idea if I can bring my adult beverage for the evening chit chats or if has to be purchased after crossing . I dont know yet what I dont know and should learn . :ROFL: before this trip .

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Can I spend our worthless american greenbacks or do i need to upgrade them at the border for your currency ? Is mastercard widely accepted , let the credit card folks worry about exchange rates ect ?

Is there a website which can inform us on what to be sure NOT to cross the border with ? I know not to carry a weapon . But I have no idea if I can bring my adult beverage for the evening chit chats or if has to be purchased after crossing . I dont know yet what I dont know and should learn . :ROFL: before this trip .
We take American currency at a discount (better exchange at the bank, but then you have a bunch of funny money to take home)

Mastercard is widely accepted, although some cash for small store purchases would be adviseable (American would be fine) (just about every country in the world accepts American currency)

Do not bring plants (especially if you intend to smoke them) fresh fruit, fresh meat products or guns. (swords or really long knives should be left home as well)

You can bring a certain amount of alcohol type beverage which I believe is one case of beer, or one quart of hard liquor - not sure of amounts with wine.

You can bring one carton of cigarettes for your own personal use.

The above quantities double if you have two up on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What Viking said but large denomination bills ($50 & $100) are sometimes treated with suspicion so more little ones work better. Banks should give better exchange rates than the stores but with things being nearly at par you will probably get a dollar for dollar deal at the stores.
PS Canadian adult beverages are good but taxed heavily. Shop accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
:claps: That sounds great Bob . We are awaiting the passport :( . I am also trying to map my route up . I think possibly enter thru Buffalo after a visit with relatives in Richmond Va . I need to contact BestWestern too .

I will put you on the list. Is the better half coming also?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Currency Exchange

With regards to the US/CDN money exchange rate you can see what is happening with the exchange rate by visiting the Bank of Canada at the following website:

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/

On the right hand side of the opening page there is a Currency Convert. The rate of exchange is updated throughout the day 5 days a week.

Here is a summary of what a USD is worth at 8:55 on the 30th of May. So if you are to exchange your USD at a Canadian Bank this is a sample of what they would base the exchange rate at plus the banks service fee. My experience with the Canadian Banks is that their service fee would be somewhere between 1-3 %. If you exchange your money at one of the retail stores or gas station's you will find that their service fee will a lot more than the bank's.

Summary: On 30 May 2013, 1.00 U.S. dollar(s) = 1.03 Canadian Dollar(s), at an exchange rate of 1.0309 (using nominal rate).

It has been previously posted that having some cash would be a good idea when making purchases in the small retailers. Most gas station's, restaurants and big box stores will accept Visa and MasterCard.

Most likely your Debit Cards will not work at the gas station's, restaurants and big box stores but are acceptable at Banks and ATM's.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Excellent info Wayne! Very useful and much appreciated!

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
The last time I used my credit cards in Canada the banks hit me with an ok exchange rate but there was also a conversion fee added. You might want to check with your credit card company before using it at a lot of places, it might be worth while to get cash at the exchange centers.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Check with your local banks in USA to see if they will do a free exchange to Canadian money. I have not checked my bank for a few years now, but they at one time did offer a free currency exchange. I don't know if they still do or not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.