Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 419 Posts

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
The wife and I long ago gave up on the camping out routine.
We just lost our taste for it somewhere, we now find a suitable hotel preferably with a breakfast buffet.

We figure that with the breakfast included, that defrays the room charges by ~$20

and having a shower in your room, an air conditioner included, makes up for the extra costs...

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Nik and I still really enjoy packing up the camper. The only thing I detest is that it gets late in the day, you've passed upteen dillion nice looking campgrounds, and now you can't find one anywhere. We used to push way to hard and have set up more than once by flashlight. We've started to try and shut it down a lot earlier now.

The wife and I long ago gave up on the camping out routine.
We just lost our taste for it somewhere, we now find a suitable hotel preferably with a breakfast buffet.

We figure that with the breakfast included, that defrays the room charges by ~$20

and having a shower in your room, an air conditioner included, makes up for the extra costs...

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
I think that is what soured us too.
"Oh look! that is a nice one there, let's stop now"

me.... um, there is still 3 hours of daylight left...... :(

and the show was over.... we done. :)

now though, with her being in a wheelchair, she can't ride with me anymore anyway. so the enthusiasm is gone. I just book a room, move in, set up the laptop and find the WiFi so that I can look at the forum :)

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
That's exactly it......and I can't imagine how much she misses it.

I think that is what soured us too.
"Oh look! that is a nice one there, let's stop now"

me.... um, there is still 3 hours of daylight left...... :(

and the show was over.... we done. :)

now though, with her being in a wheelchair, she can't ride with me anymore anyway. so the enthusiasm is gone. I just book a room, move in, set up the laptop and find the WiFi so that I can look at the forum :)

·
Administrator
22,188 Posts
It has gotten so the price of a nice camp site is near that of a cheap motel room.

When traveling, the motels are easier to find and you don't have to set them up.

And...you don't have to walk a block to the bathroom.

A group camp, sitting around a campfire exchanging war stories, hot beverage and warm fire in the morning...that's all memorable and not something you get from a motel.

Sometimes it's hard to decide which way to go.

·
Administrator
25,356 Posts
I just can't sleep without a good bed anymore so camping is out for me. Tried it a few years ago in RMNP and didn't sleep much for 2 nights.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Well.....I love the whole camping process. Having a fire, meeting and hanging out with folk, just a whole lot of interaction. On the air mattress, I sleep like a log and I know who has been doing what on it. The "Main Chain" motels give me the creeps with what might be wandering around on their mattresses, and I've seen those undercover reports on these main chain establishments. GROSS!!!!! What you can see might look spic and span but not sure about what you can't see. The 1st thing to go out the door is the bed spread.

·
Administrator
25,356 Posts
Well.....I love the whole camping process. Having a fire, meeting and hanging out with folk, just a whole lot of interaction. On the air mattress, I sleep like a log and I know who has been doing what on it. The "Main Chain" motels give me the creeps with what might be wandering around on their mattresses, and I've seen those undercover reports on these main chain establishments. GROSS!!!!! What you can see might look spic and span but not sure about what you can't see. The 1st thing to go out the door is the bed spread.
I love the camping just can't do the sleeping.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I've a huge canvas tent. A 3-room 1960's Sears tent. Excellent condition.
...but hot and sweaty is hard to handle sometimes...

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I sleep better in my Aspen Classic with my own bedding and pillow than I do at any hotel with hard beds and thin pillows, not to mention the cheap hotels with bed bugs...... Been there done that. I have an electric heater for cold nights and an AC for hot nights.
Im a guy, so having to take a leak before bed time isn't a long walk for me...... any tree will do...... tree optional....

Having a campgrounds nailed down so everyone is in the same place would be nice for those of us not familiar with the area at all. This event has been in the planning stages for well over a year, making us wait for this information is like a slap in the face.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Hubba Hubba you sweet talkin' Canuck! Red and I camp for the very same reasons. The bedbug epidemic in itself would cause us to camp..... and this setup below takes away all the arguments for us. it's as comfortable as any motel you can buy. I hate motels. As far as those oh dark thirty urinal calls for those of us who've been around long enough to have softball sized prostates, that's what they make empty gatorade bottles for! Plus, I'm looking forward to sitting around a campfire with you and the lovely Nikki, while you wear your consolation dragon hat.... Hey, if you get a hint where most people are camping, please pass it on to us? Danke!

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Will do CJ...looking forward to it

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
????????:?
I have to agree with Kyle. Beating the volunteers is not a good way to accomplish anything. It certainly won't help us get more volunteers for future events either. Obviously I'm not talking about your post Dennis and neither was Kyle.

John

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Well, it'll all work out.
Hard to pin down things when people are MIA.
Plan your dates and the rest will fall into place once the "riding season" actually starts around these parts. I'm as serious as anyone else, but we still have snow coming.

The Good News: ...weather breaks later this week. 'Bout when we start hitting into the 60's during the day, **most** people consider it a good time to start breaking the bikes out for the summer...

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Forecast for the next 2 weeks in Sioux Falls. Ya should be able to get out and about on one of these days, I would think.

45 / 73 °F

56 / 73 °F

52 / 71 °F
57 / 68 °F
57 / 68 °F
52 / 65 °F
50 / 62 °F
48 / 69 °F

53 / 78 °F

50 / 65 °F

44 / 70 °F
53 / 77 °F
49 / 72 °F
47 / 70 °F
52 / 77 °F

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
On my way back from the Run for the Wall in Washington DC, I will be in Sioux Falls around the 4th of June. Time permitting, I will make a visit to these various camp grounds and take some pictures and ask some questions of the camp ground host if we don't have any camping information by then.

I haven't hooked up with a riding partner as of yet. I don't think I am going to do another 3,000 mile solo trip after the trip to DC. I am raising my hand and looking for a riding partner.

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
Okay Folks, got a call from Andy Williams: Lopeha
and he has put this together with just one simple phone call....

KOA is the place to be for you guys who are camping.

Here is what Andy passed on to me:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andy/Lopeha thinks KOA is the better place to go

CALL ASAP so that everyone can be together…. make sure you mention you are with the Goldwing Group...

Sioux Falls KOA

1-605-332-9987

Tent sites are $27 / night for basic + tax
$39/night with water and electricity, no sharing sites allowed

Lady said that time of the year is extremely busy, do not use the website, call her personally and tell her that you are with the Goldwing group and that she will do her best to group together.

The ones with electricity are near the showers

Several eating establishments are within a half mile, the only complaints they ever get is that it is close to the Interstate highway.

Make the reservations ASAP so that our folks can be as close to each other as possible.

Whoever makes the 1st Reservation!! post up here immediately and we will try to center around you.

The manager mentioned that by going on the website and getting a KOA Care Card, you might be able to save a little bit of money on the campsite.

She has some cabins that are available at $59 a night available from the 11th to the 14th

The cabins have a double bed and bunk beds, no water is available, have to use the shower house. Have a covered deck…. You have to bring your own bedding. This would be hard for folks on just a bike to do.

Andy and I are staying booked at the Cloud 9.

Quiet time is 10 PM, so no loud noises after that time please.

From Mel Gouge on FB: Go ahead and post it, I need to talk with the wife who's teaching.... we'll probably book at about 4 pm PDT...... Thank you.....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I'm well aware of the weather here. As I've mentioned, the weather is turning this week as seen.

141 - 160 of 419 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.