Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

We got home safe and sound last night about midnight. Just parked the truck and trailer in the driveway and went back out this morning and unloaded everything. Now I have to go back to work to get some rest.:?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i left manchester park at 0645 on 7-14-11 and rode i-5to grants pass ore. and checked into a motel. next morning cut across to crecent city and hiway 101. stopped at the somoa cook house in eureka for lunch. i was home about 5 pm, had 1800 miles on the odometer. thanks to all for the good times. walkabout:waving:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

walkabout wrote:
i left manchester park at 0645 on 7-14-11 and rode i-5to grants pass ore. and checked into a motel. next morning cut across to crecent city and hiway 101. stopped at the somoa cook house in eureka for lunch. i was home about 5 pm, had 1800 miles on the odometer. thanks to all for the good times. walkabout:waving:
I have to get down there and do the PCH! I've only ridden it North of Eureka so far. Glad you're home safe and that you had a good time!

John

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
walkabout wrote:
i left manchester park at 0645 on 7-14-11 and rode i-5 to grants pass ore. and checked into a motel.  next morning cut across to crecent city and hiway 101. stopped at the somoa cook house in eureka for lunch. i was home about 5 pm, had 1800 miles on the odometer.  thanks to all for the good times.  walkabout:waving:
I have to get down there and do the PCH!  I've only ridden it North of Eureka so far.  Glad you're home safe and that you had a good time!

John
We rode 101 from Fortuna to Crescent City - it was a GREAT ride. I would highly recommend California hwy's 299 and 199 that intersect 101 also - both were very picturesque rides. Both are great mountain roads that follow rivers for a good portion of the route.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

An easy day's ride for Dave and I today (413mi), over to Spruce Creek Campground, 16 mi south of Dubuque, IA.Temps were cooler today ....... to start with, but soon climbed back up over 90 and humid! :sleepy:

Ran into a brief rain storm, complete with thunder and lightning. Blew a main 30 ampfuse feeding one of my fuse blocks. When I removed the side panel to investigate, I noticed that it had started to melt the fuse body, probably due to the extreme temps we've been running in. Installed a new fuse and all was right with the world again.

Rather a somber camp tonight, as Dave and I part ways tomorrow morning. :(A couple of 3 days shall see me reaching home temporairily, regearing for the M & G in Ottawa, ON., for the National Rally with my riding group on the 29th. Dave returns home to PA, so he can get back to his job on the 25th.

Dusty

dUSTY

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Although we outran the rain yesterday, extreme thunder/lightning/wind driven rain awoke us this morning. Thankfully I decided to erect a tarp later last night.:readit:

Dave just left for home during a slight break in the rain. I've decided to stay another night here and then head for north of Wausau, WI tomorrow morning, as I have time to spare and am in no rush. :coollep:

Dusty

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Here's you trail so far looks like fun, remind me when you'll be in Ottawa
, free camping in our back yard ( just have to dodge the golf balls.):waving:
Ride Safe :action::action:

Attachments

·
Just one of the guys
4,784 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Here's you trail so far looks like fun, remind me when you'll be in Ottawa
, free camping in our back yard ( just have to dodge the golf balls.):waving:
Ride Safe :action::action:
Good ol' Dusty, his tracks always look like a Picasso Painting, Kind of abstract and wandering.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Yep, the only glitch was on day 1 (the gap) when he wasn't sure how to turn it on. :(

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Discovered I wasn't holding the 'Track'button down long enough the first couple of days. :ssshh:

I'll be at the Nepean Campground on July 29 - Aug 1

I'll be hanging around there, chewing the fat as usual, Bob, so if you want, drop on by and we'll chew some more fat!

Sun has come out and I am hoping Dave ran into it shortly after leaving. I'm busy drying things out(muddy campsite)

He'll have quite the trip to remember!

With the extreme heat apearing this year and the fact that quite a few of my planned free/very cheap campgrounds are incinerated with the massive forest fires in the SW, I'm rethinking my route from Diamond Lake, OR. to the ES7 meet n greet for Labour Day. I'll just follow my instincts(maybe just 'Cherry Pick' a few of the sights I want to see)and have a great ride/time getting there.

Dusty

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

We have made it to Mackinaw City Michigan..Got to drive the bridge on the grids to the top then we could move over onto the pavement..Nice fun those grids...Weather has been extremely warm but the Bike holding up well despite the # 3 relay gone..Weather has been perfect for riding..only 1/2 day rain all the way home so far.

May stay 1 more night in Port Austin or just head home tomorrow...will decide in the AM...Calling for Thunderstorms here.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Looks like I'll be sitting out another day here, in Bellevue, IA.

Park Ranger came around the campground last night at 10:30, warning everyone of a severe line of intense thunderstorms heading for us, packing wind gusts of 70mph and heavy rains. Told us the bath house was the designated 'safe spot' of the campground.

Tent and tarp weathered the blow fine, but the thunder/lightning/rain has been constant since then. I hate packing a wet camp and the spot I am heading for next(Mountain, WI)has severe weather forecast there as well, so I might as well sit tight.

Dusty

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Nirvana - Land of Perfect Nothingness - Iowa :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Hey Dusty, if you look NW about 750 miles, I'm the guy waving from the step ladder!

Rest well. Sounds like you'll have a few long days ahead of you to catch up to your schedule.

Where are you linking into the internet?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Maybe if the cloud cover lifted, I could see you waving, Lawrence! :ROFL::raspberry:

The campground I'm holed up at(Spruce Creek Campground), has free WiFi, along with Hydro(electric to you Yanks :readit:) and showers for $15/night, along with a great view of the Mississippi, just north of the town of Bellevue, IA.

Not too concerned about my 'schedule', as I purposely built in a few 'slack mileage days', after Dave left for home. I can be back at home in 2 days if need be, before I head off to Ottawa for my riding group's national rally on July 29 -Aug 1. I can ride from here to Soldier Lake(Near Strongs, MI) in a little over 6 hrs and then a 9 hr ride home to clean and loose gear, to pare it down for the next 2 month long leg of my tour. I originally wasn't going to Ottawa, but the members of my Chapter were adamant that I attend. I reworked my 'schedule so that I could be there and then attend a Moto Campers M&G in Interlochen, MI on Aug 4.

Be careful on that ladder!!;)'

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Hi everyone. With the help of QDaddy, CJ and John I loaded the Valk on the trailer, then the grill and strapped everything down well. Drove a leasurily 2.5 hours to home, where it was, of course, raining. Screw it, stuff stayed on the trailer till morning, and unloaded it then.

I know, not very esciting, but my report gives me the chance to say how much I enjoyed being the unofficial campground host, meeting everyone and sharing a campfire or two.

Marty

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
I know, not very esciting, but my report gives me the chance to say how much I enjoyed being the unofficial campground host, meeting everyone and sharing a campfire or two.

Marty
And we can't thank you enough for being so hospitable. You're welcome at my campfire anytime.

Attachments

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

We are safely home in Kincardine Ontario Canada.

23 days on the road and 17,156 Kilometers or 10,291 miles round trip.

A very scenic and enjoyable trip despite the minor problems encountered.

Thanks to everyone for the enjoyable times. We had fun..

·
Administrator
20,581 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:
We are safely home in Kincardine Ontario Canada.

23 days on the road and 17,156 Kilometers or 10,291 miles round trip.

A very scenic and enjoyable trip despite the minor problems encountered.

Thanks to everyone for the enjoyable times. We had fun..
Glad you guys are home safe and sound! :claps::claps::claps::claps:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

4evermetric wrote:

Marty
Thanks for all you did Marty!! You were one of the big reasons this gathering went so well!!:claps:

As for the weather, Summer has finally arrived here in the Puget Sound region. Near 80 yesterday and 80+ predicted today. Until Friday, they said we had only had 78 minutes of Summer here. :ROFL::ROFL: Here's what Chinook Pass looks like in the Sunshine, what I was hoping to show those of you that rode with me when you were here. I took these yesterday.

Dusty, I'm glad you're playing it safe and staying put through the storms.

Hawgy & Huggy, glad you guys made it home safe and sound!

John

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Thanks for all you did Marty!! You were one of the big reasons this gathering went so well!!:claps:

John
John:

Last year your opening your home and yard to the NW group and including me in for one night, (a late night waiting for Motorcycle Pete I believe and watching a campfire) made me realize I missed the campfire and comraderie. So, wanted to pass along the hospitality for others like me who haven't done that sort a thing for a long time.

Marty

141 - 160 of 187 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.