Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went and picked up my bike from the storage facility the day before yesterday and rode it home. Not really thinking much about it I was traveling at a pretty good clip (70mph +), no big deal. Yesterday I was doing some work in the garage and walked out into the driveway to go past the bike to get something out of my truck, and I just happened to look down at the back tire......

Guess I'll be adding a tire change to my "To Do List"...

I've ridden bikes for over 20 years and NEVER had a tire do anything like this. Guess I was just lucky.

The previous owner included two new Dunlop E3's with the bike, so at least it's just a matter of removing the tires/rims and taking them over to the Honda shop to have the new ones mounted/balanced and then reinstalling....

Doug

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Well I hope a new rear tire cost less in Illinois than it does in Florida. I just got a quote from my local bike shop....$180.00 for a Dunlop plus $50.00 labor.

Harold

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Jaymom wrote:
Well I hope a new rear tire cost less in Illinois than it does in Florida. I just got a quote from my local bike shop....$180.00 for a Dunlop plus $50.00 labor.

Harold
Actually that's not a bad price. Rear tire (assuming its an E3) from Dennis Kirk (online seller) is $143 plus a $5 fee and I would assume shipping would put it well into the $170 range. $50 for labor (if it's on the bike) isn't out of the range of normal.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well, luckily I already have a brand new set.

I just spent two hours removing the tires/wheels. Loaded them into the pickup, and drove over to the stealership which is about 10 minutes away, only to find it closed. It's been awhile since I've had any tires mounted over there (and they're the only ones around that do it). So, I forgot they're closed on Mondays.

Oh well... This gave me a chance to take things apart, and I'll be playing with the exhaust and changing the air filter anyway... Might even check the fitment of those GL1800 mufflers I got off Ebay. Then it's back to grinding on the flanges for my EFI intake.

Doug

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
imported post

Outlaw wrote:
Well, luckily I already have a brand new set.

I just spent two hours removing the tires/wheels. Loaded them into the pickup, and drove over to the stealership which is about 10 minutes away, only to find it closed. It's been awhile since I've had any tires mounted over there (and they're the only ones around that do it). So, I forgot they're closed on Mondays.

Oh well... This gave me a chance to take things apart, and I'll be playing with the exhaust and changing the air filter anyway... Might even check the fitment of those GL1800 mufflers I got off Ebay. Then it's back to grinding on the flanges for my EFI intake.

Doug
HMMMM...Would you please enlighten us this!....I for one would be intrested in EFI on my old wing.....Thanks

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/120779.html

This is where the discussion started. I'm about to open a new thread in the technical forum to cover the actual work. It'll probably be a week or so before I get around to it as I'm taking vacation this week and using that time to fabricate the manifold.

I just started this project yesterday, and I'm still working on it. The tire thing is a major distraction right now. I want to be able to keep riding the bike until I have everything I need. Will probably be tearing it down when it gets too cold to ride. So now is for everything I can get done without actually tearing the bike apart. And, of course, when I took the rear wheel off, I found out that it badly needs a rear brake job. Including a rear rotor ($$).... Nice. :thumbsdown:

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Jaymom wrote:

Harold
It costs about the same here in IL

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

I just had a flat in Co. near Montrose. The tire alone was over $200 with labor out the door was $304
No fun having one while on vacation. Glad I had towing insurance.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

341labrat wrote:
I just had a flat in Co. near Montrose. The tire alone was over $200 with labor out the door was $304
No fun having one while on vacation. Glad I had towing insurance.
I feel for you, the last time we lost a tire on the road it was in Ellensberg, WA. and the stealer there hit us up for $299 for the tire, $40 for labor, and then the tire disposal fee and taxes. Total was almost $370. Still it was cheaper than paying for a tire to be delivered, the hotel for 2 days till it got there then the cost of putting it on.

I've had 2 tires do strange things on me. An Avon Venom that bubbled in the side wall after just 3,000 miles on it. And the Dunlop Elite 3 that started separating just 165 miles into a 7,000 mile trip. The E3 cords had separated and were on one side of the tire while the tread was splitting and starting to pull apart. I got nothing out of either manufacturer for the problems. I have since gone "Double Darkside"

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Outlaw wrote:
This is where the discussion started. I'm about to open a new thread in the technical forum to cover the actual work. It'll probably be a week or so before I get around to it as I'm taking vacation this week and using that time to fabricate the manifold.

I just started this project yesterday, and I'm still working on it. The tire thing is a major distraction right now. I want to be able to keep riding the bike until I have everything I need. Will probably be tearing it down when it gets too cold to ride. So now is for everything I can get done without actually tearing the bike apart. And, of course, when I took the rear wheel off, I found out that it badly needs a rear brake job. Including a rear rotor ($$).... Nice. :thumbsdown:

Doug
Wonder how much Moly-60 you have on the drive shaft and final drive splines.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well, I got the tires and new brake rotor for the rear back from the dealer today. Put everything back together and installed baffles in my mufflers while I was at it. Grand total, not including the baffles (which I was planning on doing anyway) $347.00! That's without having to buy the tires.

Tires:
I can definitely tell a difference. The bike goes over in a turn much quicker and there isn't that "uneasy" feeling I was getting with the other tires. In fact I was getting the feel for it and felt like I needed to go faster in the sweepers. 90 degree turns from stop signs were much better too. (maybe I'm just getting used to the bike finally?)

Baffles:
WOW, what a difference! The bike starts easier cold, and is much better on takeoff. The stumble is almost gone, and there is quite a bit more low end torque. It's not perfect by any means, but much improved. In fact it's so much better that my planned 15 minute test ride turned into 1 1/2 hours and about 90 miles.:action: I'm still getting the surging, both at low speed and while it's idling. I'm guessing that's the slides in the carburetors. No big deal, I won't have to worry about those for long.

Doug

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Outlaw, Just a solution I and others have found... http://culleynet.com/?p=1491 http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/121687.html "Once down the path to the dark side you begin forever will it dominate your destiny!" Yoda, a long, long time ago!
[align=center]
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=left]I thought about doing that, but seeing as how I had two brand new tires just sitting there, I decided to use them. Maybe the next time. I like the idea of a run flat tire.
[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]
[/align]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.