Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 08 Comfort/Navi Goldwing. The safety feature on the navigation system makes it almost unusable. Can anyone tell me how to disable the safety feature? As soon as the bike starts moving almost all of the features are disabled. It cant even be turned on when your moving. Out of frustration I installed my Garmin Street Pilot 2720 from my 89 wing. According to the Service Manual there is a wire dedicated to the "speed sensor" in the GPS wiring harness, would this be the culprit? If it is can I simply snip the wire? :(

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Once upon a time Kit was driving down the road in his service truck and was trying to use a cell phone. I was concentrating on dialing a number on the cell phone, shoot the road was clear, no traffic, be ok. Sure!!

I felt the truck go off the road and bounce up about two feet, a mailbox was hanging off the right mirror. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: . And just twenty feet in front of me when I got control of the truck again was a car stopped turning left.

Taught me a lesson, one I do not think I will ever forget.

The GPS safety feature cannot be disabled. I am just glad I was not on my bike when I pulled the cellphone stunt. I can just see reaching down to the lower right panel and playing with those buttons while moving.......sure be ok, what can happen??

It happens fast, just one seconds inattention and things go wrong fast.

The GPS has been designed for safety reasons not to be allowed to function but only a little bit such as change the screen view or zoom off the handlebar button, I know of no way to disable it, the speedometer wire feed connects to the meter, the meter controls the function to the GPS screen, by a computer chip.....all tied into all the other functions, many have tried, many have discussed, but to my knowledge has never been accomplished.

Kit

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I don't answer or usemy cell when I'm driving my car, and its in my trunk when I'm on two wheels.

I'm sure they had good intentions when designing the safety feature, but I believe it goes to far. You can't get the GPS to start up by default. You have to turn it on every time. If your moving you cant turn it on. Thats like having to stop the bike and put it in nuetral to turn the radio on. My Garmin 2720 does several things with one push of a button. It comes on with the bike without pushing any buttons. The "Honda Navigation System" is also made by Garmin. The big screen is nice but stopping to turn it on is impratical.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well the Honda GPS will get you lost anyway. Just ask anyone who has used one. Look at my signature.......GPS Guru Not!! A friend gave me that and I intend to keep it!! It about sums up the Honda GPS sometimes. :D:DBut it is a good tool. Will always get you there, the main thing I always get disgusted at is the enter button. You stop to get gas or just stop and take off again, gee, I forgot to wait and punch the enter button!! It would sure be nice if they would fix it so the GPS simply resumes operation until told to change in someway.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

There has been a lot of discussion about disabling the feature that prevents a lot of actions while moving.

As far as I am aware no-one has been able to do it.

I have a theory which I partially tested, which is that the vehicle speed sensor is only a small part of the story.

I think what happens is that as soon as the GPS circuits in the Navi system detect movement, they themselves shut down access to the various programming functions. The vehicle sensor would only come in to play if the GPS temporarily stops functioning because of no satellite reception. The vehicle sensor would also be important at very low speeds when the GPS update rate combined with probable error is insufficient to confirm vehicle movement.

I think there are very few instances when the system would not have satellite information, on mine, even when it says poor reception, it still manages to get a fix.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

This subject comes up now and then. It seems Honda contracted Garmin to supply
the cheapest (not least expensive) :Dunit for the GL. I almost let my trusty Zumo 550 go. On trips it's a real life saver as it points out the next REST STOP as well as
many other points of interest while the Honda bearly points out the next town. The Honda unit just takes up space. I do run both, the Honda it set for open range and the Zumo is set for local.

I was really interested in the ABS feature and the GPS came along for the ride.

Longboater,

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I did something similar to that, but I have to pull the clutch while poking the buttons. I interrupted the speedo wires with a sealed relay, and control the relay with the switch. I installed the relay up behind the rh pocket, close to the signal wires. And, I only do it at slow speed. Actually, I don't use the gps that much.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Cheapest is right. My Street Pilot 2720 makes the Honda GPS look like a toy. The Honda GPS even came with outdated maps. The only good thing is the large screen. Honda should go back to 1 model and let people pick the accessories. The rest of the bike is great. Much improved from 89 to 08.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.