Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garmin has come out with an update for these bikes. This is going to be the final update for this model they say. I did update once or twice and I did not really see any difference. To search for restaurants gas, hotel we use the cell as most riders do.
All installed GPS are crap. None comes close to what the phone can do.
However since this is their last update I wouldn't mind updating if someone can bootleg me a copy for a much lower price. I don't even feel guilty about it since Garmin robbed us with their low value/ high price GPS. Im not computer savvy so Id prefer someone to make a card for me. Anyone?

·
Administrator
24,819 Posts
That is a problem with the technology installed in vehicles, it becomes obsolete in a few years.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Especially when most of it is obsolete even before it is sold, due to extended R&D cycles and such.
Some of this is just starting to change as more and more things are being designed with the idea that nothing is perfect right out of the gate, so maybe it would be a good idea to be able to make changes down the road.
From little things like being able to update map data, to a full blown OS replacement. But you have to get out of the propitiatory walled garden mindset to make this happen. Things like OBD2 initially had to be forced by law, but eventually even the automakers came to appreciate the benefits of standards like the CAN bus. Of course now folks like John Deere and others have discovers the other edge of the digital doubled edged sword and it looks like some kind of right to repair laws are going to be needed. (People are just no damn good)

It would be nice if someday you could buy a Goldwing with just an open computer control system (either IOS or Android or if I'm really dreaming users choice). Then it would have Honda apps for bike control, audio, nav, etc. but you could load up third party apps to control those functions if you didn't like what Honda provided instead. Doubt I will live long enough to see that, but when I see what Tesla does with updates, I have hope. If people whine about a problem, bang next update it's fixed or at least changed to be less of a problem. I just got some fleet control software for our Ford trucks at work, and I'm amazed at all the things that can be changed, but Ford didn't provide any way for the user to access any of it.

·
Administrator
58,179 Posts
It would be nice if someday you could buy a Goldwing with just an open computer control system (either IOS or Android or if I'm really dreaming users choice). Then it would have Honda apps for bike control, audio, nav, etc. but you could load up third party apps to control those functions if you didn't like what Honda provided instead. Doubt I will live long enough to see that, but when I see what Tesla does with updates, I have hope. If people whine about a problem, bang next update it's fixed or at least changed to be less of a problem. I just got some fleet control software for our Ford trucks at work, and I'm amazed at all the things that can be changed, but Ford didn't provide any way for the user to access any of it.
we will never see this from Honda on our bikes

·
Pwhoever
3,084 Posts
I do my own updates now and have 2020.20 installed on mine. It's not real difficult to do as long as you have a Garmin GPS with lifetime map udates. I also have the 5.10 firmware too. The problem with the latest and final official update is that the mapset is 2017.10 which means the maps are from early 2016 which puts them at almost 4 years old anyway... Since this photo, I updated to 2020.20 and just learned that 2020.30 is now out from Garmin.

·
Pwhoever
3,084 Posts
Just to add, if you do your own custom mapsets, it is not without limitations as far as the 06-08. The 06-08 have a 2gb limitation. Since the size of the full mapset has grown, I now just make up 2 CompactFlash cards. First one, I put most of the lower 48 minus all of the west coast. 2nd, I do the west coast and overlap a few states then add Canada and Alaska. Both come in under 2gb that way.
Another limitation is that searching POI's by name cannot be done. If you have the address, you can still search by address. A workaround is to put in an OEM card temporarily and you can then search by name, save it as a favorite, and then put your custom mapset card back in. Then look into your favorites and route to it.
One last issue is if you try to plan a route that is more than several hundred miles and select to avoid highways, you will probably get an out of memory error. Just dont use the avoid highway option and it will work. Or just route to a shorter destination and once there, select another place on the route you want and so on.

Personally, I will still put the route into the onboard navi but also use Waze on my cellphone that's mounted on my left handlebars. It is a lot easier to zoom in to see what's ahead on the onboard navi to see twists and curves coming up or to zoom out to see my progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts