Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 2008 with Navi and I get a lot of glare on the screen which makes it almost impossible to see on a sunny day. Do you know of anyone who makes a sun shade for it? I have an idea of how to make one but I would like to see if there is any all ready made.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Ok, I guess no one has any ideas Thanks anyhow.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

Go to a camera shop and ask for a shade for the back of some camera's, they come in different sizes and just stick to the back screen with double stick tape. Mel :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

I brought this same issueup earlierand it was discovered thatusing ploarizedeyeware was my particular problem.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Do you have trouble with the windshield then. I find that I am either too tall or too close and therefore the angle I view the screen at causes the glare. If I lean back or lower my head the glare goes away.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

Bob, I confirmed that eye wear was my problem and I use the term eye wear because all of my sunglasses are polarized and it was only when I tried a non-polarized set that I confirmed what was causing me to lean over and struggle to find a sweet spot for viewing the display.

I hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am going to try Fred H.'s idea as soon as I get a day that I want to wrench rather than ride.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Bikefix wrote:
I brought this same issueup earlierand it was discovered thatusing ploarizedeyeware was my particular problem.:gunhead:
Polarized eyeware should only affect a black and white screen. Color screens should be no problem. At least that is what my eye doctor told me. I just ordered some polarized prescription sunglasses. It's going to be interesting to see just how bad it causes gauge and nav viewing.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
Bikefix wrote:
Polarized eyeware should only affect a black and white screen. Color screens should be no problem. At least that is what my eye doctor told me. I just ordered some polarized prescription sunglasses. It's going to be interesting to see just how bad it causes gauge and nav viewing.
Yep, polarized prescription sunglasses was the culpret... Good luck!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
Bikefix wrote:
Polarized eyewear should only affect a black and white screen. Color screens should be no problem. At least that is what my eye doctor told me. I just ordered some polarized prescription sunglasses. It's going to be interesting to see just how bad it causes gauge and nav viewing.
Your doctor needs to go back to school. He is wrong.

Polarized eyewear will delete red LEDs to where they don't show up at all.

My polarized lens make the car radio display totally black. It uses red LEDs to provide display info.

My Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS has color, and the colors are vastly muted to be so dim as to be unusable. I have to lift my sunglasses to see the GPS. Aggravating. If I need to see that stuff very much, I switch to clear glasses.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
bbach wrote:
Bikefix wrote:
Polarized eyewear should only affect a black and white screen. Color screens should be no problem. At least that is what my eye doctor told me. I just ordered some polarized prescription sunglasses. It's going to be interesting to see just how bad it causes gauge and nav viewing.
Your doctor needs to go back to school. He is wrong.

Polarized eyewear will delete red LEDs to where they don't show up at all.

My polarized lens make the car radio display totally black. It uses red LEDs to provide display info.

My Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS has color, and the colors are vastly muted to be so dim as to be unusable. I have to lift my sunglasses to see the GPS. Aggravating. If I need to see that stuff very much, I switch to clear glasses.
Crap, another bad purchase by yours truly. They held up a card for me to read with non polorized and polorized sunglasses. There were images on the card that you could only see with the polorized ones. Thus, these are better, or so the sales pitch implied. Guess I'll find out.
Mainly though, I was trying to find some prescription sunglasses for reduced glare. However, I don't want to be blind with my gauges either.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

I can see the dash gauges in the car sort of. The neon glowing needles on the Pontiac Vibe my wife has show up pretty good.

The black and white gauges on my truck are pretty decent.

The old style black dash with red needles on my old 88 Dodge Shadow sedan are quite usable. No trouble there.

What I do appreciate about the polarized lens is the reduction in glare. That takes the stress off of my eyes and lets me drive without a lot of eye strain.

My particular frame is the RayBan wrap around that fits snugly against your face and around to the side of your face.

I feel that the wrap around lens distorts the view somewhat to the sides. I have a "driving in a tunnel" kind of feeling. If I concentrate on just running down a freeway, they are fantastic, especially on hazy, otherwise clear days.

But town driving where my eyes are always shifting from left rear to right rear to see what is beside me? Um, that gives me a "I can't really tell" sort of feeling. I can see the other traffic there, and it does not seem distorted, but my eyes are not comfortable at the extreme edges of my vision.

In the latter case, I will pull them off as I have 20/20 vision without glasses. My only problem is astigmatism, which isn't all that bad, just aggravating.

Old age did me a favor for the eyeballs. I used to be near sighted at 20/33 vision. Now I am 20/20 and it looks like it will stay that way. Just can't focus on anything closer that 47 inches though.

so, I ended up with 5 pair of glasses. Reading only, reading and computer, computer only, driving and dashboard, and sunglasses driving only.

Why 5 pair? Flexrap, use it or loose it money... End of year, did not use up my medical spending account. What to do? Oh, how about.......... tee hee...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.