Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking to get a GPS and want it to have XM radio. Which units do you have and what are the likes and dislikes.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

The Garmin 550 has xm, and you can program your routes too. The prices are falling on this model now that the new 660 is out. I would check out e-bay.

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
imported post

The older Garmin 2730 also has XM with an FM modulator if you want that. It also has an external audio jack.

This is a discontinued model and mapping upgrades are no longer offered. But, the roads have not been moved since I bought mine, so.................

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
imported post

i think they will sell the last update, it just won't be current as of this year.

Mine is about 3 years old from the last update. I need to give it a shot at updating myself.

I prefer the 2730/2720/2710 series because they have major function buttons on the panel, versus the Nuvi series of which I own two of them. I think the Nuvi's are a piece of crap.

why? Simply because if you are about 4 to 8 levels deep searching for something and want to go back to the Main Menu, you can't without turning it off. You must keep clicking Back,Back,Back, until finally you get to the top level. I hate the damn thing and mine is for sale as of now.

I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip and no GPS has gained so much hate from me than the Nuvi series. Never again in my vehicles. I kicked myself 13 times over for leaving the 2730 in my truck and not taking it on this last trip.

The Nuvi's are okay, IF, all you want to do is enter a single location and go to that location. Do multiple searches though, and you will soon wish you had not bought it.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

I bought my wife a Navigon GPS for Mother's Day. I am very impressed with the 7200T model I got for Her SUV. It does not have XM but other Navigon models may have it. I think they are worth looking into. Great graphics, lifetime free traffic reports, voice activation, lots of features.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have never felt the need to own a GPS before. I seemed to manage to find my way quite well without the need for electronic devices. However, last week I read on another forum where a guy bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 for $86.00 plus shipping. Hesitantly, I went online and ordered one. Cost: $96.00 to my house. I realize that this unit does not have all the bells and whistles on it, but it didn't cost $200 plus dollars either. I, surprisingly, am quite pleased with what I got for my money. It helps manage traffic and does everything I need for it to do. I realize that if I used a Garmin 550 or equivilant, I would be amazed at how much more it is capable of doing. But for now, I am happy with what I have. I'm not into listening to music when I ride, I feel it would be distracting, and I do not fault anyone that does or wants more from the devices they purchase. I just feel that, for the money, I have a very capable GPS.

Bernie

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
imported post

The Nuvi's do a good job of getting you there. Used them for over a year now.

I'm just spoiled by the "instant access" of using a GPS that has front panel controls to instantly go to "Map" or "Find" anytime I want to.

The Nuvi is an excellent GPS for the money.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Thanks AZ. I wasn't trying to step on any toes. Just felt the Nuvi does a good job for the money. Maybe on day I will fully emerge into the 21st century, but for now I will plod along. Being a scrooge keeps me from really spending money I should sometimes!:dude:

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

you can't without turning it off. You must keep clicking Back,Back,Back, until finally you get to the top level.
No, you just press and hold the 'back' button. It'll go right to the beginning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.