Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I are traveling from the home in central NY to Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks and may take a bike rather than the car. I'm thinking of heading down thru Ithaca, Elmira and then towards Mannsfield PA and then head west/SW.

I dont like interstates and wondered if anyone could suggest some good secondary roads to travel.

Anyone know what Rt 80 is like thru western PA? I know Rt 80 from Rt 81 east to Coopertown in NY is a wonderful road...just the way I like it!

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

If you are talking about I80 in PA it has a LOT of traffic and a LOt of that is trucks, it is the main road into NY City from the midwest.

Head south, take Rt6 across Northern PA to Youngsville, take 62 south from there. In franklin pick up Rt8. Decent road surfaces, not too crowded, some nice scenery and hills. Plenty of small towns along the way to stop for services.

Another route would be Rt6 to Kane, then 66 to pick up Rt 68 near Clarion into Butler then 8 on into Pittsburg. I have not ridden this route but from the rest of the roads in that part of PA it should be a good run.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

You should contact Shooter. He took us from New Castle to Hamburg, NY on Hwy 62. It was an awesome road through a state park. Cut across NY to find 62 and take it south. You won't be disappointed.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Take as much of route six as possible. Go through Wellsboro and see the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. Continue to follow route six until coming to route 66 and go south towards Pittsburgh OR you could continue on route six to route 948 and follow to route 666:shock:then continue to route 66 and south towards Pittsburgh. Lots of beautiful scenery that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.