Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Would not work with my 1500, rear wheel is off the ground.

·
Administrator
57,515 Posts
I do that all the time with any bike that has a center stand,

only, the rear tire is not usually on the ground.

I just lean back in the seat, then swing my body forward fast and let momentum carry the bike forward off the center stand and go....

do it every time I take it out of the shop, lean forward fast, drop off center stand, and lock front brake.

hit reverse, and back out of the shop.

when getting fuel, I just release the clutch and drive off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pretty sure that's the ride off center stand. My 1800 won't do that. I can rock forward and go immediately, but not that easy nor back up onto the stand. The only complaint I've heard is it's makes it difficult removing you rear wheel without laying you bike down.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is a ride off centre stand, I have one on my 1500 & it also makes it very easy to put on the main stand,I kept the old stand if I need to swap it as it only takes 5 mins to swap back.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It's not getting off the centre stand that I was referring to. It's using reverse to put it up on the stand.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was lucky & got mine new for $100 from a used parts guy that didn’t realise what it was.
But it makes it easy to put on main stand just remember to leave it in reverse as both wheels are on the ground.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
I had one for an 1100 that was a self leveling stand but it had some missing parts. The legs retracted so you could put it down while sitting on the bike, it had a lever on the right side where you used your foot to ratchet it up and as it did it would compensate for uneven surfaces.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Maybe he should add 2 more wheels , A/C, roof, steering wheel and call it a car.
If you keep your training wheels on you'll rely on them and never become confident in slow turns or handling the bike at slow speeds.
Regarding the center stand, I only use it for maintenance and I don't miss anything else.
But to each his own.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe he should add 2 more wheels , A/C, roof, steering wheel and call it a car.
If you keep your training wheels on you'll rely on them and never become confident in slow turns or handling the bike at slow speeds.
Regarding the center stand, I only use it for maintenance and I don't miss anything else.
But to each his own.

I'm thinking its for the end of your Goldwing riding lifespan not the beginning.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I had one o my 92 Wing. As Bill in UK said, both wheels are on the ground so either leave it in reverse or put it in gear other wise you will find it on the ground.

·
Registered
121 Posts
First time I witnessed that 'trick' was 1976 at a Honda dealer where I was buying my first new road bike...1976 Honda 550-4 SuperSport. The mechanic did it while moving my bike out to the lot. The rear wheel on the '76 was off the ground so just give it throttle, let go of the clutch and rock the bike rearward. No special equipment needed, geez.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
After I put one on my 92 I went to the Honda shop for something. When I got there 2 mechanics were siting outside on their lunch brake, I put the bike in reverse and rode up on the stand, you should have seen the look om their faces, they never knew about a ride off stand, and I don't think I ever told them either.
Back in the mid 90's we went to Marysville Ohio and toured the Honda plant. Those guys who rode the wings off the dyno at the end of the assembly line rode them to staging area and did ride them up on the center stand, that was a sight to see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts