Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 1982 Goldwing 1100GL.
I need your help – I’m looking for a spring plastic bolt that fasten the engine frame cover.
See photo attached.

I was trying to google it, but quite honestly, I may not know the right technical terminology to use for searching…
Do you know where can I find those bolts?

Thanks,
-Haim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
can you post a pic of the cover ?
some times if you check with some of the bike raceing shops they have fairing panle fastner clips. just maybe---

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It's hard to tell from your tiny picture but it could be the self-ejecting one here.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Ken nailed it, they are self ejecting quarter turn fasteners used to hold the Markland side covers on. You won't find them at a bike shop. Let is know how you fair with DFCI.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ken and Jack!

DFCI does have the fastener that I need.
However, they are asking so many technical questions (e.g. measurements) in order to determine the right fastener...still struggling with what they are asking me...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
i am having the same problem here. fastners , i have 2 sets of panels , 1 set of frames , need to make up another set of frames and find fastners for them. so i`ll be watching with interest.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Hi, I am trying to acquire these also. Called DFCI. They don not make these any more. They still have the molds. And quoted an absurdly high price. I then went to Southco. They make them still, but work trough a dealer network. I called two dealers. They would not sell to such small quantities. They said call McMaster Carr. They are quoting them now. I will post the results.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I have been looking for a set of covers like these if anyone knows of a set for sale let me know please:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
plastic covers

I have been looking for a set of covers like these if anyone knows of a set for sale let me know please:waving:
i have a spare set of covers only. no frames tho. if your still looking , shoot me your best offer + postage.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
i just up loaded pic`s to my gallery. have a look---

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Good news! I have found (I think) what will work in this location. I will order tomorrow, take delivery, then check fit. I will post location to buy including part numbers tomorrow. The main problem i have found is the low quantity I want.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Quarter turn fasteners for markland gl1100 engine covers

mcmaster-carr:

Standard catalog items:

93442a442 slotted panel screw (1) pack of (10 each) $12.14/pack - $12.14 total

93442a223 clip-on nut for panel screw (2) packs of (5 each) $7.45/pack - $14.90 total

93442a311 split panel screw retainer (1) pack of (10 each) $4.49/pack - $4.49 total

special order items: Minimum qty (100)

93442a999a self ejecting spring (1) pack of (100 each) $10.58/pack - $10.58 total

93442a999b self ejecting spring cup (1) pack of (100 each) $8.44/pack - $8.44 total

total cost: $50.55 (less shipping)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
were those retainer bits for the markland metal one`s ? or the plastic ones ??

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
The McMaster picture is for the metal ones, but if you pick the plastic ones, then pick CAD, the right picture will come up. A little misleading. That is why I did not look there first. The retainer is not made any more. But the one they offer works the same. You just have to grind off about 1/32 of an inch off of the tabs to get the catch clip to engage. The last two items were special order. I had to buy 100 of each to get the ten I needed. I have extras if you need them, 90 of them.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
bottona, post pictures of the extras you have, several of us have looked for the fasteners over time. I would just as soon buy from you as McMaster.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
me too. i`ll need 12 of each . going to have a spare or two , you never know when -------

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I need then when I got a set I just used a 1/4 -20 bolt with a stanless steel acorn nut on the outside, Then I know it wasn't coming off

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Picture of what I have is attached.

McMaster-carr buys these from Southco who actually makes them. Southco will only sell in large quantities (unless your willing to pay ALOT for these small qty's.

The first three are stocked at McMaster-Carr. I only ordered 10 each of each one of these, so I don't have extras to get rid of.

the last two are made by Southco also, but McMaster-Carr bought 100 pcs per item for me (special order). I couldn't buy a smaller qty. I have many extras of these two parts. send me your address and I'll share my extras.

The original D-shaped receptacle (shown at top of picture) has not been made by Southco for 20 years. they quoted me a price of about $150.00 per piece. they had to re-tool for it. I only have 1 of these.

I purchased the clip-on plastic nut (left part of photo) and installed. I had to grind off 1/32" off of each metal mounting tab on the steel frame to get the ramp to snap into the hole to securely hold the nut.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.