Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, first time inside an alternator, brushes are not that worn out,deepestbrush insidehas been worn down by 4 mm. topbrush has been worndown 3mm. The brush that was worn down the mostwas stuck deeper insideits holder (sticky)when alternator was split apart, but this is the one that has been wore down the most of the two:shock:.Maybe I will change brushes but only based on the fact that in the book it says to replace in pairs, so maybe it is perfered to have the brushes the same length. It is tempting to leave brushes in their because there is 11 and 12 mm to the wear mark and 84,000kms on my 1500.I will be changing the rear bearing. For future info, maybe tomorrow?Could I spray some electrical cleaner of some kind in there and liberally to clean out brush holder to facilitate smooth movement of brushes. The slip rings are within service limit. Again maybe tomorrow wife will give me some money and I will run down to a alternator shop and they can replace brushes and rear bearing for this junior mechanic, I am an operator by nature.Decisions without experience, I do not usually listen to my wife but you guys mmmmmm, :clapper:that is different.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd replace the brushes since they don't cost much and you have the alternator apart anyway. On the other hand if it took 80,000 klicks to get 25% wear or less on them they probably will last at least that much again. It would be a good idea to take a close look at the sticky brush, make sure it's not sticking due to wear or nicks on the sides. Do clean them up if there's gunk.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hi JJ... Replace the brushes...

If one is sticking, it's probably due to jagged edges & wear like Exavid said. Also, they are made of carbon.. The brush itself will slide easily in the holder, but the dusty black stuff all around it is burned particles and if you look at it under a microscope, you would see that the little particles are very course and will cause the brushes to bind. Clean everything up with spray electrical cleaner and gently blow the insides of the alternator dry. Inspect the stator rings for deep grooves or excessive wear.. New brushes will not seat on deep grooves and cause overheating. Apply a small amount of bearing grease in the end cap and re-assemble. You'll be good forever:clapper:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys, I sat there staring at the inside of the alternator for a long time, contemplating my next move, feeling sorry for myself, and my way of getting my wife to fund my next move. I was onthe perverbial fence on this one, but you all are right and thanks for the push. I will call the alternator shop and ask them if they do wing alternators and change the brushes and one rear bearingfor me. Fora person to gain access to the stator coil and regulator/rectifier, does one remove the rear cover much the same way you removed the front cover, prying in the same places to remove the rear coverwithout damage stator ect.of course. The slip rings measure O.D. of 29.0mm and the service limit is 26.0mm (in the book). One of these days I will go for my first ride of the season, but if the temperature keeps on dropping, might be on the snowmachine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.