Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, my GL1200i is as plain as they come, nothing extra, no radio, clock, air nothing. Every port in my fairing is just blanks. I was considering putting a radio and some speakers :cooldj:in it but man the hondaline stuff is $$$. I don't need the CB or intercom just the tunes. I was wondering if anyone had installed a standard car stero or Marine stereo in a plain wing? I've been watching ebay for radios or parts to slowly upgrade but again the $$$ for an 85 radio that might work isis too high to risk. The portable mp3 player may have to be the only way if you guys can't help. Thanks...
Jim :12grey: minus the antennas, radio and everything not standard...:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

I had to hodge-podge an auto radio/c.d. into my 86 Interstate. Sounds fine, but protrudes 2" from the factory posision, (looks horible). Also itwas a real pain to water-proof, and rig up a dust-cover. (coulda' been my lack of skills)

If you have access to a J.C.Whitney source, they used to offer bagman radio/tape players and clones. Not real inexpensive, but not perminent either...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Here is what someone suggested to me. I will be ordering one next week. Look at the radio bezel.

http://www.chrometoys.com/38.html

Kinda strange I also just bought a 86 GL1200 I with under 12k for $2,300 that is plane jane. Has no extras at all exept floor boards that im getting rid of and going back to the stock peg and pedels setup that i like much better! Interested in some floor boards and heel/toe shifters?

Pat

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You don't like the floor boards and heel toe shifter... I was considering the upgrade but I think I need tunes first...:cooldj: They look to be moving pretty well on ebay...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

And thats where they will be going to as soon as my stock setup arrives;)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Hi, do you still have the footboards and heel and toe shifter for sale?

i live in the uk but am willing to pay any postage costs.

i also have the standard footpegs if your interested.

thanks dave.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

WOW match making...That is what it is all about. Now you can save the ebay cost!!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I believe Sierra @ http://www.sierra-mc.com/Has both a marine and a fairing mount AM-FM-cassette. A little pricey but if it looks good..... For speakers I went to Best Buys and got some 4# Pioneer with mylar cones. I just sprayed a little scotchgard on the suspension rubber and for $49 Ive got decent speakers, I usually use the headsets for music so the speakers aren't critical for me.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

It is amazing to me that anyone would pay $260+ for a 20 year old hondaline stereo on ebay.:stumped: And the kicker is, it still has 4 days left in the auction! I may have to stay with my $38.00 MP3 player that is just larger thanthe aaa battery that fits in my shirt pocket.:cooldj:Now don't get me wrong, I understand a good radio is going to cost some jack, but I'm not paying 260+ for anything electronic that is 20 years old!:whip:

Jim's :12grey: without the stereo for now!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Wow thats the cheapest I have seen one going for, I guess if one wants to make a bike original it might be worth it.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Still 20 years old though.. Guess I'm not going to get over that...:baffled: Well maybe I'll talk my bride into a new wing...:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

That'll cost ya a bit more than $260 :) I keep looking at new ones, but now being retired I can't see myself ever getting one.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

If there is a will, there is a way! Keep thinking and something will come to you... :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Try that link for Sierra posted above. I have one ordered and should be here before the end of the week. Looks like it will work to me. Not quit the ideal setup the original radio is but atlest i have money left to buy a good radio and cb from ebay.

Heres what im talking about.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE%2DRMGL12

Pat

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks I'm going to order one also, I just looked at ebay for Marine stereos and found some nice inexpensive water resistant radios. 125 or so for new is all good! Hopefully I will have tunes within a couple of weeks!

Thanks again for the link!
Jim

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ok I ordered one, 10.30 shipping and handling...:whip: seemed high but oh well it should be here this sat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.