Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm planning to take a bus soon as I can, gonna cost me around $250

If anyone just happens to want to run out to San Jose CA, area and take me along I'll put that $250 into the trip instead of the Greyhound pockets.

You can pick me up in West Plains, MO LOL

Well, only 2k miles, figure it's worth a shot :ROFL:

·
Administrator
58,961 Posts
imported post

Ummm, I would fly on SW cattle car before I would ride a bus.

Go online and schedule your flight 4 weeks or more in advance, Should be about $222* from Memphis -or- St. Louis to San Francisco and you will have sandwich change left.

Best part of the deal? You get there the same day you left.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Yeah, go with the wings.

·
Administrator
25,564 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Ummm, I would fly on SW cattle car before I would ride a bus.

Go online and schedule your flight 4 weeks or more in advance, Should be about $222* from Memphis -or- St. Louis to San Francisco and you will have sandwich change left.

Best part of the deal? You get there the same day you left.
And it will probably take about 4 weeks to get there on a bus, at least it will feel like it. :waiting:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

hell i'll rid out there lmao.... no sniffin my neck or im throwing you into traffic lmao j/k on both

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Bus does not look to be too bad for this trip.
Depends on the day and time which schedule I'd get, but seems to be only 2 or 3 transfers of about 30 minutes to 1h 30m each maybe, just a few 5-15 minute stops where I should not even need to get off the bus, and 4 stops of around an hour each.
Not too bad for 2K miles, and yes it's about 2 days even.
Buses are supposed to have WIFI and power outlets now also, and seem to be better buses than when I road them a couple times about 18-20 years ago. Back then it was often a nightmare riding a bus any real distance.

I'll try to look into some flights, I like to fly, just don't like the prices often or all the extra fees etc.. and not able to wait the 4 weeks either for a best deal LOL

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Hey buddy, be careful carrying a lot of cash on the bus too. Lots o strange people capable of many weird things. Realize your a pretty big guy but be careful, good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Good point.
I'm not going to carry but a few dollars cash on me. I can always find an ATM somewhere.

I was just looking into Amtrack. A train may be an option also. Not sure yet. About the same cost as the Bus or not much more, depends when and which train I catch.
I used to like trains years ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

We took a train to Syracuse NY a couple of years ago, then took the rain back to Grand Central in NY city, stayed over a few days then trained it back to NC.

The trip to NY was fun, because it was the first time any of us had been on a train. The trip back to NY city was fun..... the trip from NY city to NC was the longest most uncomfortable ride of my life......... other than that dreadful bus ride from Orlando Fl to Providence RI back in 78.

Fly, you won't regret it. The soda and animal cracker are free also.....

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

I like the train idea, at least you can get up and walk around a bit.(they also have a club car).

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Double post.

Could never get page to load so thought it did not post, but it did.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well, I think I am back to the bus again LOL
Maybe a train?

I spent hours checking on a bunch of crazy sites for airline costs, most keep changing airports on me!

One site popped up with "WOW we found your fare for $300" and when I click to look it's from Washington DC to Costa RICA!! Not exactly what I was looking for LOL

Where do you guys look for airline deals when you fly?

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Hey Chromo,

Good luck on getting a good ticket out there on short notice. I usually use www.expedia.comwho search airlines for pricesand also compare them to www.cheapoair.comOne thing to know is that SouthWest does not advertise or use any other search engine then the one at www.southwest.com and make sure you're using the correct airport codes for the airports.

One thing, John had mentioned isthat you needed 4 weeks notice to get the best deal. While that may be true in some cases. I fly quite a bit and have found that the best deals can be sometimes had14-18days in advance. By that time the airlines are getting worried about selling the seat they have left and put some good deals out there. Then 10-12 days before the flight they really start jacking the prices up because they know that people looking in that time period really need to get there.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

What's in San Jose? New bike? I was there once many moons ago but if Original Joe's is still there make sure you stop for dinner.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I've done planes, trains, automobiles and buses to/from Colorado as my family lived there for many years while my job remained in Michigan. I definitly prefer the train over the bus!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I have met Chromo, he is good company and I wouldn't mind spending 2k miles chatting to him, if I could offer him a ride.:cheesygrin:
Sadly I would have to fly several thousand miles just to start the journey, but if I were a man of "independent means" I would do it just for the crack!! Sadly, I am not. :sadguy:

No truckers on the site going that way to deliver? :?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Chromo would be willing to provide you with crack just for giving him a lift!? What a guy!

Gota love those subtle differances between the Queen's English and the jibberish we speak in the Colonies!!
:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
Chromo would be willing to provide you with crack just for giving him a lift!? What a guy!

Gota love those subtle differances between the Queen's English and the jibberish we speak in the Colonies!!
:ROFL:

Ah yes, well, not quite the same crack, I am old school myself and so crack has a less illegal meaning. :littleangel::dighole:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.