Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Isold my'96 GL 1500 a couple weeks ago 'cause I needed to pay off alota bills.I havea little left over andam still itching to ride. I am in the Phoenix area and have seen some GL 1000's 1100's and 1200's in the $1000 to $1400 range.

Is there anything in particular to check for when buying these models? Anyrecurrent problems? Any models to stay away from ? Which is the best mechanically. Is any model hard to get parts for ?

I would appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I can really only speak for my 83. It was rescued out of a guy's backyard after sitting for 6 years. It needed a total carb overhaul, but other than that everything else has been minor.

The stator on the 1100's doesn't put out much power, so you'll want to watch your power drain devices. Engine power on mine is pretty weak, don't expect much torque compared to your 1500. The bike likes to run at least 3500rpm.

I'd be more inclined to look for a 1200 and install the poor boy alternator conversion if the stator is fried on it. Remember, the more electronics and doodads on the bike, the more can go wrong. That's why I like my Interstate vs the Aspencade.

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I have the GL1100i you see in my avatar. It was a rebuild project also. I had little trouble getting parts through fleabay as well as other more standard sources.

There is a list available here on the forum of standard replacement parts. For example I replaced the timing belts. Standard belts from Honda or from most of the eBay sources were very high. I got NAPA replacements from the list for less than half what the others wanted. Gates and others have the belts also.

I really like the 1100 model but as stated you must watch the electrical output. LED lights help as they have very low draw. I did replace the standard Clarion I with a Clarion II in order to get the CB and Intercom but I don't think the draw is much more so no problem.

The 1100 has a reputation of being a hard engine to kill unless it is timing belts that break. It will take just about anything else you want to throw at it and keep on ticking.

The 1200s are nice bikes also and as stated you can add a generator for addition power if you need it.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Hi Yakawictz, Speaking from this side of the 'pond' GL1200's over here have corrosion issues, centre stand support and removable side member, make sure they are sound!!
These can be welded but you have to turn it upside down to do the job properly, tell tale sign is that the rear tyre is on or close to, the ground when the bike is on its centre stand.
Happy Shoppin'!!

I liked my Ltd, yes parts are getting hard to get hold of but the fuel injection was a dream to ride, and apart from having to get the injectors cleaned, I had no serious problems, but if you do buy a GL1200, rebuild the rear shox with heavey duty progressive replacement springs and new seals.- cheaper option than replaceing the whole units

Stu

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

I have ridden an 83 for 4 yrs . ITs been very reliable . I was totally happy riding it . Moma and I rode all over the Tenn/NC mountians last yr . Were about 500lb load . The 1100 never complained a bit . Always turned a steady 40 MPG .

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

I've ridden 1100's since the early 80's I've had no issues at all with them (other then minor maintenance). If I ever get any money I want an 1800 but other then that I'd say you can't beat any well maintained Honda product.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As long as they haven't been abused and aren't full of corrosion and rust any 'Wing can be a good reliable bike. I've owned several 1100s, one 1200 and my current 1500 not to mention my current project a neglected 1000. All except for the last were great rides and quite dependable. The 1200s are more prone to stator failure, though that's an easy fix with a new stator there shouldn't be another stator problem for another twenty years or so. The earlier 1000s and 1100s do rev up considerably more on the road, it doesn't hurt them but they aren't as quiet or torquey as the six cylinder. They don't perform any poorer for that matter, you just have to shift more and get used to a bit more engine noise on the highway. I really believe my old 1100 Standard could leave my 1500 in the dust performance wise though it wasn't as comfortable on long hauls. Just find a good clean example that wasn't beat up and any 'Wing will perform well and long.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I had an 81 GL1100 and had some problems finding parts. The good news is that they last forever. That is also the bad news. The only way to get parts is from somone who is parting out a bike.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,953 Posts
imported post

My GL12 has been a sweet runner since new. Very reliable and fast. Just remember, it's a sportbike.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I found a big difference between the 1100 and the 1500 Interstate. Different ride, alot more power and comfort.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I really don't see a lot of difference in power, in fact I doubt the 1/4 mile time would be much different with all the 'Wings up to the 1800. I'm positive that my 1100 Standard was faster in the 50-70mph acceleration range than my 1500. The 1500 does have a lot more torque so there's much less shifting needed but the difference in overall performance really doesn't seem all that much.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

i had an 1100 for a few years,then last year bought the 1200 fixed it up and there is a big difference between the two. seating comfort, more power rpm is less on the highway and less noisy!
changed rear wheels, a water pump and added AIR HORNS...lol

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I like my 1100 (and 1500).. haven't had a 1200... All said, any wing can get'r'done... Parts are readily available for all but the SEI/LTD (as already mentioned) and my 1100 is my daily driver and the 1500 the weekend tourer... But, I'll put about equal miles on each, .. I've installed an electronic cruise on the 1100 and since that it is almost a tossup for just the shorter rides.. (all else goes to the 1500) Go for it!!! but keep in mind the carbs may extract some $$

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Here are some 1/4 mile times for various Goldwings we had posted on the forum awhile back.

1975 GL 1000 12.95
1980 GL 1100 standard 13.18
1986 GL 1200 interstate 12.67
1985 GL 1200 LTD 12.88
1988 GL 1500 13.06
1996 Valk standard 12.37
2001 GL 1800 12.87
2004 GL 1800 12.71

Note that the GL1000 was only 24 milliseconds behind the 2004 1800. The largest spread between any two listed here is only 0.47 seconds. Notice also that the 1500 is the second slowest of those listed. My point is all 'Wings get moving fairly quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Here are some 1/4 mile times for various Goldwings we had posted on the forum awhile back.

1975 GL 1000 12.95
1980 GL 1100 standard 13.18
1986 GL 1200 interstate 12.67
1985 GL 1200 LTD 12.88
1988 GL 1500 13.06
1996 Valk standard 12.37
2001 GL 1800 12.87
2004 GL 1800 12.71

Note that the GL1000 was only 24 milliseconds behind the 2004 1800. The largest spread between any two listed here is only 0.47 seconds. Notice also that the 1500 is the second slowest of those listed. My point is all 'Wings get moving fairly quickly.
Sorry - that's 24 centiseconds or 240 milliseconds.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, you're right, I dropped a 0.:blushing:Mea culpa... Mea Culpa Maximia... OOHHH NOOO.. I screwed up.... Rending of clothes, tearing of hair (not much of that), sprinkling of ashes...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I am here in arizona as well, and 3 months ago purchased a wrecked 81 gl110I and with the wonderful help of this forum, and the awesome help from Bob's motorcycle parts yard. (16 th street and elmwood) i have now been riding for over a month. got new fairing, forks, wheel, tires, brakes, misc. parts from bob's and know how from here. I love my 1100 and after the reviews don't have any intention of changing from the 1100 until i can afford an 1800. if i need more power i will do the alternator conversion. Let me know if you need any help with anything as i am close.

Barry

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

get a 1200, 85-86 or 87, stay away from SEI or LTD models (might be not so cheap anyway)

interstate might be cheaper. any of them have reverse. if you can find a very cheap aspencade... for 1000-1500 bucks i highly doubt you will find one with all addons working properly (cb, radio, compressor) so go for an interstate, might be in better condition and less pain in the ass. most of the interstates are fitted with automotive radios so you can just swap with another one and will be ready to go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.