Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello again everyone. I need a worthy opinion on a problem I am having with my 82 gl1100. I apologize upfront for this bieng rather lenghty, I don't want to leave anything out.

The bike will run great, then start to sputter then quit alltogether. When checked, all plugs are fouled( dry, black, powder). Cleaning plugs and adding carb cleaner works for awhile, until it happens again. Here are the observations I've made, but I am not sure which one is important.

1. Happened just after I fill her up with fuel. First time it had syptoms of bad gas, but second time I filled with premium which I know was fine.

2. Happened just after a hill. I noticed she does not accelerate well into the hill, and if I let her lag (don't downshift), she starts showing symptoms just after.

My question is, is there any opinion on where to start, or is this best left up to a professional?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

When was the last time the carbs were synced?

Is this a bike that has at for a period of time, or has she been rode regularly?

Did you run the questionable gas all the way out before adding the known good fuel?

Have you tried putting some dry gas in the tank?

I had a very simular experience on Old Yeller (my 76). I had gotten bad gas, & it took a couple of tanks of gas (I only burn premium), some dry gas, a new fuel filter, & a set of plugs.:XI had gotten gas at a BP. Shortly after, I found out that BP stations are all independent (in the states anyway) & get their fuel where ever they want...........

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Frenchy, Is dry gas like Heet or STP gas treatment?

Or is it like dehydrated water?:)

Just curious.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I'll have to get a can to see exactly what it is, but it's purpose is to get water out of your fuel. Very popular in northern states where fuel tanks sweat from temperature changes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Never heard it called dry gas, have heard it called gas line dryer. Basicallythe stuff is ethanol or another alcohol compound.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I am not sure when the carbs were messed with, butit was being ridden. I drained the tank at a mecanics, and refueled. A couple of things I shoulda said.

1. There was about 80 miles between each incident. Plugs and filter were changed.

2. At about 60 mph, she seems to sputter lightly, but I can't really tell. Each hill was at that speed.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the vacuum line from the carbs to the vacuum advance?I could be backwards here, but I believe it's comes off the right (as you set on the bike) rear carb, & goes to the pulse generator. If that's OK, you may have a carb issue.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The line I think you are talking about (it's a little clear plastic line), it's really loose, and I don't seem to be getting a vachum from either end.

I have narrowed the problem. The fouling starts when ever as I go to about 60mph in 5th, or when I open up the throttle.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hello again,

I replaced the line, and the symptoms are still showing. Any time I open up the throttle, or go above 60 mph the plugs get fouled. Should there be a good vachum coming from either end?

Anything else it could be?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering if you're experiencing some fuel starvation. It seems that the problem is worse when the throttle is open. You might want to test the output of the fuel pump to make sure it's working properly. A search of the forum will provide a good bit of info on this. Have you tried new plugs with the proper gap? Other than that, it has all the earmarks of a carburetor problem and the only answer to that is to pull them off and to a thorough cleaning and adjusting. It would be worth your while to get a Clymer or Honda manual and give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:doh:Did you check the air filter?As for fuel, there was a great discussion a month back on the subject. You are better off to use regular gas, since the Goldwing is a low compression engine. Regular gas has a lower flash point. Using premium just waste gas, since it has a higher flash point. If you are getting pinging, go to the middle level gas.

Try a can of SEAFOAM which you can get at a Napa store. I have read numerous testimonials and it seems to work.

You said dry black powder. That may mean you are using too cold of plug, the gap is wrong or you might have an ignition problem like low coil output. I'm trying to think of everything short of yanking the carbs.

If all else fails, such as you added Seafoam, changed the plugs to a hotter range, change the air filter and check the coil output, then it's carb time. I bought my kits from Honda. I first tried to be cheap and get them off of E-bay and it was $80.00 flush down the toilet. Spend the extra and get the Honda Kits, as well as the diaphragms. If you don't have the tools, try and find a tech in your area that works on old Honda's. In the end, it may save you a lot of time and money.

Good Luck

Jerry

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

verybadmonkey wrote:
Hello again everyone. I need a worthy opinion on a problem I am having with my 82 gl1100. I apologize upfront for this bieng rather lenghty, I don't want to leave anything out.

The bike will run great, then start to sputter then quit alltogether. When checked, all plugs are fouled( dry, black, powder). Cleaning plugs and adding carb cleaner works for awhile, until it happens again. Here are the observations I've made, but I am not sure which one is important.

1. Happened just after I fill her up with fuel. First time it had syptoms of bad gas, but second time I filled with premium which I know was fine.

2. Happened just after a hill. I noticed she does not accelerate well into the hill, and if I let her lag (don't downshift), she starts showing symptoms just after.

My question is, is there any opinion on where to start, or is this best left up to a professional?
The symptoms indicate a rich mixture. For plugs to get "sooty" indicates an incomplete burn. This may be lack of air through the throttle bodies (someone indicated blocked air cleaner), wrong size jets, wrong float level. As all plugs are fouled it indicates something common to the carburetors which may be valves or timing. :?

Metholated spirits is good for removing water from fuel - one cupful to a tank will absorb most water and burn it in the process. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.