Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Need to know what options are available for me to flat foot my new to me 88 1500. Thanks Roger

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if you have boards , go back to pegs. so you wont have to reach over them. next you could have the seat foam reworked. wear thick soled shoes or boots. thats about it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I don't have to reach over my boards. It's a straight shot to the ground with the Marklands on the 1500.

Being a stumpy forker myself, I recommend, thick soled boots, trimming or custom seat and finally the thing that helped me the most was going to a 175/60-16 car tire which lowered the whole frame 5/8" in the rear end.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I don't have to reach over my boards. It's a straight shot to the ground with the Marklands on the 1500.

Being a stumpy forker myself, I recommend, thick soled boots, trimming or custom seat and finally the thing that helped me the most was going to a 175/60-16 car tire which lowered the whole frame 5/8" in the rear end.
yeah but--- when you SIT --- things kind of compress :ROFL::ROFL:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
Rudy wrote:

yeah but--- when you SIT --- things kind of compress :ROFL::ROFL:
Yeah. Like everything between my ass and the road. :action:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

have you lowered the ride hight with the rear suspension you do know its air driven

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Haven't tried anything yet. I don't have an OM and am trying to figure what does what. Yes I knew it has air ride but was hoping I could come up with something besides that as it rides so nice. Wouldn't lowering air pressure be a trade off for ride?
Wingsam41 - I had some black shoes very similar back in the early 70's. They'd probably work.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

air pressure want lower the bike much if any just the stiffness of it because of the coil over on the one side. or at least it didn't on mine.
seat mod is the easiest. you can take 2" out of it easy if that will help you.
you can lower the shocks where they mount but it's easier said than done. you have to lean the shocks and most times that makes it ride stiffer.
nice set of Harley boots most of them have really thick soles.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

There is 4ins of adjustment on the suspension it may be set at its highest and lowering it wont compromise the ride unless you have 2up and all the saddlebags /trunk loaded then you can adjust up and you still get the leg height you need as the bike will automatically lower when loaded put the bike on the center stand and with the ignition on press up and adjust buttons on the right hand side together until it reaches its max then off the center stand and sit on the bike hold it straight up and with the ignition on again press adjust and lower the bike will go down so see if your feet hit the ground ok look at the led on the dash and you will see how much air you have left in the system as you can see i have gone through the trouble of typing this so for the love of God try it and dont dismiss it wont work for you without trying first itmay save you a load of dollers thank you:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
There is 4ins of adjustment on the suspension it may be set at its highest and lowering it wont compromise the ride unless you have 2up and all the saddlebags /trunk loaded then you can adjust up and you still get the leg height you need as the bike will automatically lower when loaded put the bike on the center stand and with the ignition on press up and adjust buttons on the right hand side together until it reaches its max then off the center stand and sit on the bike hold it straight up and with the ignition on again press adjust and lower the bike will go down so see if your feet hit the ground ok look at the led on the dash and you will see how much air you have left in the system as you can see i have gone through the trouble of typing this so for the love of God try it and dont dismiss it wont work for you without trying first itmay save you a load of dollers thank you:waving:
I agree with that comment.
When I first got my 'wing, the PO must have had damn long legs or weighed a lot more than me, which is hard to comprehend. He had the suspension basically maxed out and I could barely get my tippy-toes on earth. Re-set the air pressure to about 18 pounds and now much better. Made a heck of a difference.
Easy fix if it works.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

if the air shock let's it down that's the way to go. either mine wasn't working properly or it was as low as it would go to start with. agreement easy fix if it works.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thank you,thank you! It was set on 27#, Backed it off to 15#, what a difference! I can't quite flat foot it but it will work. Again thank you, thank you. Not to mentio I learned how the compressor works. Roger

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Good man Roger now ride it like you stole it and dont be afraid to let it down another bit it wont compremise the ride

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

How lo of air can I run without hurting anything7

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Thats imposable to say as it all depends on the weight the bike is carrying as long as its not bottoming out dont forget on a smooth road you may need no air at all try-ill and error for your self as my demands would be different

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Add 2 inches to yor legs. ;)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks agnogel for your help. I'll experiment With the pressure. Think I'll go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
imported post

:readit: Let's add this up.

5/8" Car tire
2.0"Seat
4.0" Air suspension drop
==============
6 5/8"lowered.

Add some extra sole. . . 2 layers gets youabout 5/8"
We're at 7 1/4"

Gain another inch bydropping the tires air pressure.. . .:stumped:
8 1/4"

Need more?
About the only place left isextending the legs.

PAINFUL but it works. :NO:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.