Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:waving: Hi guys! Gerhard here, been along time away from site but been quite busy! Guys a friend of mine rode on my GW and got hooked, Now he bought one and I advised him on the buy and now feel responsible for getting it into shape!!! The problem is with the carbs I think!! it has a mean flat spot as you rev it up and it stutters when you keep constant speed! Took the air cleaner and covers of and checked the plugs and vacuum hoses all seem fine, BUT when you rev it without the air cleaner it battles to rev and it makes like a mist of fuel out of the carbs........
If my brain works right this tells me it is flooding or over fuelling.....
SO PLEASE NEED URGENT ADVISE!!! what to do and where to look and what for!!!
GW's are not plentiful in South Africa and I've had bad experiences with so called GW experts ....SO I'd RATHER ASK THE GUYS I TRUST on this site and know i'll get the right advise...as I got when built my tow pac!!! Got a manual for the GW but really need straight advise????:bow::praying::praying:
One more thing ! I see the exhaust chamber has been removed and was replaced with two elbows ... so the exhausts are now separate from each other......

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
The engine management system is somewhat complicated on the 1500 with the 88-89's more so. If you have a dedicated manual for those years much better in the long run. There can literally be dozens of potential trouble areas and a good visual inspection of components is a vital step. Check to see if the TSB for flat spot was done, ECU and CCU will have the MT2 designations printed on them. A good first step is the confirmation of proper fuel delivery by fuel pump and petcock and possibly a compression test. Bike on center stand as always during tests.

Popping fuel back through the carb is not always a sign of richness it could have an ignition, compression or lean misfire fault.

Do not worry about the elbows replacing collector box.

I have put together a quick diagnosis routine that should aid the home mechanic in what direction they need look to for repairs. Start with the spark plug and ignition checks.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums.../426066-1500-fuel-mixture-diagnosis-test.html

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx! DriverRider! Why I say over fuelling is the fact that the bike idles perfectly, starts first time, got tremendous torque and power but has got this one hell of a flat spot, or call it stuttering before the next moment flying of like a bat out of hell!! Does it make any sense what i'm trying to explain??
The dealer said the bike has been standing for about 3 months.... but I think its longer seeing I've got a feeling it was imported from the states!! All 1500 GW's are imported so ! and mechanics with real knowhow on GW's VERY FAR and FEW between over here!! Don't even trust the Honda dealerships overhere.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
When road testing at what RPM does it buck at and does it do it in all gears?

When revving in neutral what RPM does it pop back or breaks down at?

Will slowly raising throttle by pass the problem or is it always there? What are the slides doing when popping back?

Reread third section and add spray to each carb intake when breaking down and note any difference.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well let me try and explain it like this< if you are in neutral and you let it idle its absolutely fine, then you turn the throttle and at about 1200 to about 2000 rpm it surges and wants to almost die, then when you pull away you have to give small little revs to get going and then open the throttle so as to not stall . So above 2000 rpm she seems fine. but like said after opening the air cleaner compartment the air cleaner was wet with fuel and that's when I found that if you rev it it makes pushes out fuel mist out of the carbs. If I just lightly try and blank the air vent or fuel pipe as named in manual it cuts out almost immediately.... does any of what i'm trying to explain make sense to you guys??

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just cleaned the carbs on my 88. My symptoms was some of the same. Mine had a flat spot somewhere between 1400 and 2000. Had to take of around 2000. rpm's. Would idle fine. But one thing threw me off. My temp guage would only go about 1/4 way up. And got bad fuel mileage.
Not sure of all your symptoms. First if you have the air cleaner out. MAKE sure your accelerator pump works! Second used compressed air to make both slides move up and down freely. (have seen one go bad and stumble). That you can do BEFORE removing them.
Mine had dark brown/black residue around the throats. You say spitting back not sure what to say unless just not getting enough fuel. Seen lean condition do that. BUT if has been sitting, have seen valves become sticky with old fuel residue on them and cause several running issues also.Just need to run clean gas through and be patient about it.
Just some things that I have seen to cause those symptoms.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
well let me try and explain it like this< if you are in neutral and you let it idle its absolutely fine, then you turn the throttle and at about 1200 to about 2000 rpm it surges and wants to almost die, then when you pull away you have to give small little revs to get going and then open the throttle so as to not stall . So above 2000 rpm she seems fine. but like said after opening the air cleaner compartment the air cleaner was wet with fuel and that's when I found that if you rev it it makes pushes out fuel mist out of the carbs. If I just lightly try and blank the air vent or fuel pipe as named in manual it cuts out almost immediately.... does any of what i'm trying to explain make sense to you guys??
Sounds to me you may have a sticking slider in one or more carbs. If it will idle then the pilots are ok. But as soon as you give it throttle your starting to flood it. If you have a stuck slider that is open when you open the other sliders on the throttle it feeds to much fuel for a few seconds. As the rpm comes up the motor is able to burn the fuel off. As you drop the throttle to maintain a cruz speed it starts to flood again because of the stuck slider.
You can check the sliders by moving them with your fingers by reaching into the throttle body of each carb. Of course your going to have to get to the throttle bodies first.

Sounds just like a good carb cleaning will take care of it. It may be that the bike has been sitting longer than you where told.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:waving: Hi guys and thanx for the feedbacks!!! Well I just took the plunge and removed the carbs.... Well to my surprises it wasn't difficult at all and then striped them down and cleaned them!! Checked the float levels and adjusted them as per manual to 8mm they were 10mm and found the one low speed jet blocked reassembled them and put tem back.. adjusted the carbs and boy what a difference!!!!!! runs like a clock and boy does it fly.... NO FLAT SPOTS nor Fuel vapour back blow!!! Again thank you gents:bow:Sorry all the jets are still stock standard as per manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.