Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Narrowing down my decision to get an '82 Interstate or '84 Aspencade, give me any thoughts that come to mind, thanks. Later.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I think that'll probably come down to personal preference and condition. I personally like the look of the 1200 a little better, but when I went shopping for mine I would have taken an 1100 if one had been available. I think the 11 would be easier to convert to a standard model if you so wished? I would take a look at the buyer's guide Steve put together on this forum, it has a lot of really good detail about the different models. I used it as a checklist when shopping and I got a heck of a bike because of it.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Remember too that the '84 had a rear wheel bearing race problem.

Ken

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Forgot to add: Had both... Like the dash and fairing layout on the '84 better.

Ken

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yeah, heard about the rear bearings. Owner of the 1200 said the rear wheel was replaced. Later.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

You could always split the difference and go for the best of both worlds!

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Have to say I love my 1100.. And dont really care for the looks of a 1200 fairing (front)

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

The 1200s are prone to have stator failure. Could happen on the 1100s also but not as common. Either of them would make you a good bike if it has been properly cared for. It is a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

I have both a 82 1100I and a 86 1200A. To me, the 1100 is a little more sportier than the 1200 versus the 1200's soft comfy ride. The 1100 is more like an old bike with it's dash layout versus the 1200A digital dash. The seating is also dirrerent. Try sitting on each and your might get a better feel of which you like. One caveat, the 1100 is impossible to get new parts from mother Honda. You are limited to used parts., but it wont be long before that's the 1200 also.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks guys.
I was just ok with the fairing on the 1200 at first but it's growing on me, kind of angled out like a shark.
As far as the seating position being different, they both seem fine to me.
My first bike was an '88 Ninja then an '81 CBX then a '95 Magna so seating on those were very different and I was fine on all. Still got the CBX. Later.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

The 1200 handles better and is more responsive to the throttle, but the 1100 looks more traditional IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

The 1200 is the better bike except for the poorly designed stator. But once you do the alternator upgrade that weak point becomes a strong point.

The 1100 is a good bike, but the 1200 has more power, handling, and amenities too.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I don't remember what model, and cannot find the thread, but I recall a factory mis-alignment issue of the final drive. I think it was the pinion/ring gear mating. I can't remember exactly.

A factory recall was mentioned, but again I don't remember the details. Thread was posted not too long ago about it and the fix. Something tells me it was 1200 related..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.