Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies GF backed into the front of my 83 wing and skidded it back about 10 inches but it didn't fall over. The bike was in 1st gear.

Now when I try to start it up it barely cranks without jumpers on it and it is still hard to start. When I finally do get it to run it runs rough and has to be fully choked. Wants to stall out and has to be revved high to take off. Barely got it home.
I think it may have turned everything when it skidded and jumped time because I hear chatter coming from the motor? but what else could have been damaged as well?
Someone please respond quick THANKS

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
sounds like it skipped a tooth- timing is bad, in gear, low gear no less, bike got jarred spun engine violently over- compression stroke- could be.
someone smarter than me will chime in

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
sounds like it skipped a tooth- timing is bad, in gear, low gear no less, bike got jarred spun engine violently over- compression stroke- could be.
someone smarter than me will chime in
+1

I would check the timming marks on those belts ASAP and dont start that engine untill you do so .. it makes sence to me as well that if the tension is not to its best and the impact from the drive to the engine I would say yes its possible .......

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
Yes, that is the main reason you should not turn a belt driven cam engine backward.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I would be working on an insurance claim. Just sayin...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not sure what damage was done.
But I ALWAYS park my bike in neutral. Rather it fall over and still(maybe) ride it home.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but does anyone engage the reverse thingy when parking the bike? This would of course prevent someone from moving bike. Another site, a wing parked and someone rolled their bike into another parking spot. One response was to engage reverse to prevent things of such. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
After doing a little 'net search I read that when a belt driven cam engine is turned backwards, the tension is not being taken up by the tensioner like it should be. Probably no damage but since you're probably going to take off the belt covers, you might as well replace the belts while you're in there.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but does anyone engage the reverse thingy when parking the bike? This would of course prevent someone from moving bike. Another site, a wing parked and someone rolled their bike into another parking spot. One response was to engage reverse to prevent things of such. Thoughts?

Why not just turn the handlebars to the left ALL the way and LOCK the steering.If they move it, it will only be in a tight circle.

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts

Yes I use reverse as a parking brake sometimes but that would have been a bad thing in this situation, but his does not have reverse.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I am Not comfortable in using reverse for parking I use first gear when park in light hill But still I hate it .....

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
if it was me that this happened to , i would start checking things out. like timing , cam belts.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Sorry bout the digress on this. do not go any farther till you check time on the cams. stop attempting to run the bike it will not fix on its own. Get your hands dirty and get back to us on what you find.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Sorry bout the digress on this. do not go any farther till you check time on the cams. stop attempting to run the bike it will not fix on its own. Get your hands dirty and get back to us on what you find.
that^
I winced when I read the OP got it running, then drove it home.
worse case? bent valves from firing on or off full compression.
I think the pistons and the adjoining rods are strong enough not to have blown a hole, or got bent, but I have it seen that happen automotive.
hopefully it wasn't backfiring like all hell when it ran. one........... maybe two teeth and he should be good to go

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Only way to bend a valve etc.. is for them to hit the piston, firing off time will not hurt the valves unless ran enough to burn the valves and seats.

If the pistons and valves have not hit each other then running out of time a bit will not have done any internal damage to anything.
I am concerned maybe they did hit though?

Yes, replace the belts and set correct timing before running it anymore! Then also do compression tests to see if any cylinders are low. If a valve has hit and bent it should show as low compression.

I don't like the sound of "when I try to start it up it barely cranks without jumpers on it " or the "I hear chatter coming from the motor" comments.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Lotsa 20/20 hindsight junking up this thread, I'm plus 1 on the checking of the valve timing stuff, it only takes an hour or so, !)@mn it could also be that the carbs got messed up a little and all it needs is a good blowout!

IMHO!!! Done much worse to mine and that's all it took!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Lotsa 20/20 hindsight junking up this thread, I'm plus 1 on the checking of the valve timing stuff, it only takes an hour or so, !)@mn it could also be that the carbs got messed up a little and all it needs is a good blowout!

IMHO!!! Done much worse to mine and that's all it took!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure how carbs could have got messed up any rolling backwards a few feet?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I'm not sure how carbs could have got messed up any rolling backwards a few feet?
+1 to both of your recent posts.

Wouldn't try starting it again until I checked the belts vs. the marks on the flywheel. I wouldn't pull heads if those are good, or after fixing, but I'd probably pull intakes and drop exhaust to look into the valves and cylinders. Just to see if anything looks weird, and for exactly the reasons you cited. The wrong kind of noise usually ain't good.

I'll wager a dollar to a donut one or both belts has jumped 1 tooth or more, especially if the tensioners haven't been set to spec within the past 5 years.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
When an engine with timing belts and tensioners is turned backwards it can and often does release the tension on the belts. Resulting in jumping teeth. In the case of goldwings they are an interfence engine meaning the valves will hit the pistons if out of time enough. Your description of starting and running sounds like a couple teeth off for sure, hope no more! Definitely start with checking belts, maybe no other damage was done. Have seen this happen with car engines that backfired and turned backwards,and one that rolled backwards on a hill in gear, it doesn't take much

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.