Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a '85 Aspencade...like new...low mileage. I'm replacing the front fork seals and bushings. I have pretty much removed everything necessary to slide the forks down. However, I'm at a loss as to the "air equalizer assembly". My Clymer manual shows no picture.
I believe I have removed the hex bolt where the "air equalizer" hose attaches to the upper fork bridge. But the manual refers to a air equalizer "set screw" which I cannot find in order to loosen it.

My immediate problem is that the fork seems NOT to want to slide downward, even with the upper and lower fork bridge bolts completely loosened. Is it the set-screw? Or is the hex chrome lid at the very top of the fork supposed to be removed first? Or is it just stuck requiring persuasion?

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The "air equalizer assembly" has no setscrew, only two o-rings and a wire clip under it.

Have you tried rotating the fork tube to break the o-rings loose?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Im guessing the wire clips are whats holding him up. I know the first time I did mine I missed those things for a few hours before I ran may fingers up and down the forks to find them.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Im guessing the wire clips are whats holding him up. I know the first time I did mine I missed those things for a few hours before I ran may fingers up and down the forks to find them.
The wire clips will allow the tube to move downward several inches before hitting the bottom bridge so I doubt that's the problem.:?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!!

I want to thank you guys for jumping in to help. As it turned out, not thinking anyone would respond so quickly, I went back out and found that, although the upper fork bridge only had one allen bolt, the lower bridge had two. I had only loosened one. As soon as I removed the other, WAALAA!!

After removing the "stop ring" on the upper portion of the fork, the fork came right down and out.

QUESTION...although the o-rings in the upper fork bridge SEEM undisturbed, should I order some and replace them?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
QUESTION...although the o-rings in the upper fork bridge SEEM undisturbed, should I order some and replace them?
If you run pressure in the forks it would be a good idea.
If not then why?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want to thank you guys for jumping in to help. As it turned out, not thinking anyone would respond so quickly, I went back out and found that, although the upper fork bridge only had one allen bolt, the lower bridge had two. I had only loosened one. As soon as I removed the other, WAALAA!!
I did the exact same thing. Then looked at the book and noticed that it said there were six bolts. I was trying to do it without removing the faring, but finally gave up and removed it for better access.

I also found it much easier to screw the fork cap on before putting the fork back on the bike. That way I could sit down with the fork and use my leg to help push the cap and spring into the top of the tube and turn the tube when I had the cap in place to screw it in.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.