Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was all set on thinking I needed a SHOEI RF-1000. I wanted a fullface ( you guys talked me into one ) and I wanted something that had good venting, as my current open face has no vents and gets HOT on a hot day. I can get the SHOEI for $260 in Black or $330 in AXIS Yellow to match my bike color.

Then, I ran across the GMAX GM68S. I found it online for $99 plus shipping. Has mucho vents, and comes with 2 shield ( clear and tinted ) as well as a chin wind cover ( which SHOEI wanted extra for ). I also like the idea of the blinkin LED's on the back of the helmet for night riding. Anything that helps a cager see me better at night, is a big plus to me.

See this review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/gmax/gm68s/

So which would you get, the SHOEI or the GMAX, and why?

I also notice mention of needing to wear ear plugs while riding. The GMAX is louder than the SHOEI I guess, but earplugs are recommened to be worn with either helmet. ????? I have NEVER worn ear plugs while riding, ever. Never heard of such until now. Do you guys wear ear plugs?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I can't comment on either except if it's possible, I'd want to try them on. I've tried different brands in the same size, and they're as different as night and day.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Fellow I work with has the GMax and loves it. I have the Gmax modular and love it as well

·
Just one of the guys
4,814 Posts
imported post

The simple answer is "Buy the one that fits the best". Really, it must be comfortable or you will regret spending the money. It should also be quiet but if it is kinda noisy earplugs can fix that. If it is uncomfortable because it does not match the shape of your head there isn't much you can do to fix it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I agree with trying one on to see how it fits first before ordering/buying!!

I have 3 helmets. 2 from the same manufacturer(HJC) One is a modular full face in a size L and it fits very well. I wanted an openface(3/4) helmet and I decided to check out the local stealers to see if the open faced helmets were sized the same. Good thing I did, because a size L was too small, so I ordered an XL and it fits perfect.(HJC AC-3) It's the quietest helmet I've ever owned.

My riding bud wears full face or a modular helmet all the time and rides an 01 BMW R1100s and always wears ear plugs. I've never felt the need to wear them myself.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I agree with trying one on to see how it fits first before ordering/buying!!

I have 3 helmets. 2 from the same manufacturer(HJC) One is a modular full face in a size L and it fits very well. I wanted an openface(3/4) helmet and I decided to check out the local stealers to see if the open faced helmets were sized the same. Good thing I did, because a size L was too small, so I ordered an XL and it fits perfect.(HJC AC-3) It's the quietest helmet I've ever owned.

My riding bud wears full face or a modular helmet all the time and rides an 01 BMW R1100s and always wears ear plugs. I've never felt the need to wear them myself.
I found the same sizing problem with the new HJC IS-33 helmets. Since I was adding headsets to them I only ordered 1 at a time from Bike Bandit. I knew I was going to have to move up 1 size from my medium half shell to accommodate the headsets.

When the first one arrived (a large) both my wife and I tried it on, found out it was a better fit for her and too tight on me so I then ordered a XL for me. It fit perfectly with the headsets installed. She wears a small in the half shell so for us it meant moving up 2 sizes in the new helmets to get a correct fit with the IS-33's.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I have had this helmet since last October. It is comfortable and the fit was very good. It started out pretty quiet, but after a month it seemed a bit noisier than I liked. I have had a bit of a problem with one of the vent slides coming off. It has good air flow. The fit and finish are not as good as some other helmets.

I think it is an excellent value, especially considering the price. The LEDs do seem to get attention. I would buy it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.