Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 gl1800 that won't start. The reverse still works but the starter won't when trying to start the motor.
The owner said he pulled in to gas up and the starter was engaged. He said he worked the key and it stopped. Now it will not engage spin or do anything when he pushes the start button.
Bms

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
sounds like a bad starter relay and the starting circuit stuck open now its closed and wont reopen

·
Administrator
27,939 Posts
Starter relay "B" is probably bad and for sure replace relay "A" because it had to stick to cause the problem in the first place.

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I looked in the book for relay A and B, found them. I'll check them out.
BMS

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Not to highjack this thread BUT...

Can one jumper a relay plug to get by if in the middle of no where without a replacement relay?? My understanding(limited as it is) of a relay is it's just a coil/magnet that activates to release or close a circuit seems like the close it kind could be jumped in a pinch. If one knew which of the two holes needed to be jumped???

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
RB,

The direct answer to your question is yes, however you will be bypassing all of the safety circuits. That means you must make sure the bike is in neutral and not in reverse.

In reality it is a bit more difficult since the relays are hidden between the battery and the back tire. You would be better off to just carry a spare relay and do the replacement since getting to the wiring each time you wanted to start the bike would be a pain and a lot of current goes through those wires.

Henry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.