Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay here it is...... 81 1100 interestate...... was riding home tonight and it was acting up....... losing voltage so on.. pulled off to the side of the road..... a buddy was riding his bike and following me.. he pulled in.. we sat there and talked for a bit.. started the bike and the volt meter went up where it should be and bike was running fine... so we headed down the road....... about 5 miles down the road lost voltage again and bike running like crap.. pulled off the side of road again.. shut the bike down.. sat there for a few mins..... went to start it.. all dead.. no headlight no nothing.. was totally dead.... missed with it a bit and getting no where decided to try and push start it and see.. it started but still running very rough...... and volt meter reading nothing....... we made it home with the bike... shut it off in the yard again and totally dead....... went to down for a few mins........ come home and well i had left the key on.. and the tail light was on...... nothing else but the tail light... good and bright.. i turned the key off and back on and no tail light......... we did find that the ground wire is not tight so will tightin it up tomorrow and see if that gets me anywhere.. got a charger on the battery now so we hope.......... anyone have any ideas of where to start ??? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

sounds like it could be the stator/alternator, since the charge gradually dropped, or something else in the charging circuit -- rectifier/regulator. I'd check the latter. Once the battery is charged, you can check with an ohmmeter for voltage drop across the battery by turning ignition on, turning on signals, etc. Then, if you can get it started, check for charging voltage at battery as well. It should have about 14v+/- for charging. If not, then charging system is at fault -- either not regulating the voltage and overcharging (cooking) your battery, or not generating current back to the battery to keep it charged.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem with a CB125 many (many) years ago. The bike would run fine but after a while the lights would dim and the engine would miss. Stop the bike for a while and everything would be fine. It turned out to be the rectifier shorting out and treating the battery to a good does of ac.

Start with the simple things. Give the battery a good charge off the bike. Does it look OK? Does it have fluid?

While that's charging, check your connections. In the main I'd check the other end of the earth strap from the battery andthe alternator plug (If you've still got a plug, could be a good time to change it for a hardwired connector as a fault here can kill the alternator).

Put the battery back on, start the bike and then check the voltage across the battery terminals. If that's good, check the volts between +ve and the frame.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

Check the 30 amp main fuse. I ride a '84 Aspencade and had problems similar to yours last weekend. The fuse had a hairline crack in it that could barely be seen. I found that fuse was bad using a meter across the fuse...the crack was so small that it really couldn't be seen. It was connecting just enough for the bike to run, but getting weird guage readings etc. I did make it home OK, then there was nothing when key on. I think the fuse must have shrunk when it cooled off and finally broke the circuit all the way. I replaced the link with an inline blade type fuse holder and so far, all is good...Hope this helps...shydog

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Ditty to that, re: main fuse. I carry a few extra with me just in case.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Unlikely to be a stator problem, more likely to be a wiring problem. Check out the stator connector and replace it with crimped and soldered connections if that hasn't been done yet. Trace out the yellow stator wires to the next connector and check that one too. If any sign of overheating is present, that connector should be spliced out. Check your battery connections, clean and tighten and grease them. Take a good look at your fuses and the connections around the starter relay to the right of your battery for cleanliness and tightness. These are common areas of troubles.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

shydog wrote:
Check the 30 amp main fuse. I ride a '84 Aspencade and had problems similar to yours last weekend. The fuse had a hairline crack in it that could barely be seen. I found that fuse was bad using a meter across the fuse...the crack was so small that it really couldn't be seen. It was connecting just enough for the bike to run, but getting weird guage readings etc. I did make it home OK, then there was nothing when key on. I think the fuse must have shrunk when it cooled off and finally broke the circuit all the way. I replaced the link with an inline blade type fuse holder and so far, all is good...Hope this helps...shydog
Shy dog... your the man.. **** if you lived closer i would tell yea i would buy you a beer.. who knows may get down your way someday on a ride.. and have to get in touch with you and buy you one.. of ifn you get up this way..... did as you said and yep bike started and ran fine....... i owe yea.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

Glad I could help. Even though I've just had the Aspy a month or so, I had a '81 CB
900 Custom that had a similar starter relay. The 900 was a lot like GW's except for the in-line 4 cyl. engine (that 900 was fast). I had some problems with the link on it and put an inline setup on it and all was fine for several years. I've checked the Aspy and 3 stator wires have already been soldered, so I'm ahead in that respect.
I'll take you up on that beer sometime. I might come up there for a pheasant hunt
sometime...Take care...shydog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.