Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ihave a 81 GL1100I with 63000 mi and 2 weeks ago i started to hear a noise from the motor it sounds like a baring going out on the backside on the left of the motor. can anyone help so i can get my knees back in the breeze

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

jdbeth,
Welcome to the forum!
Some of the gurus will have some help for you soon.
I really like the Harley vs Goldwing slogan!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hay thanks alot i am just confused with the bike about redy to pull the motor and put in my other one from my parts bike

:?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I think it is the staiter

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

jdbeth wrote:
I think it is the staiter

Welcome to the forum jdbeth!

Is the bike running and shifting OK? Does it make the sound when idling or only when moving. Sounds are hard to describe or diagnose over the Internet. Could be a synchro going out, water pump,clutch is back there too. Could be low oil level! Have you checked the output of the stator?

Try to pin down the source of the sound a little better and come back with a better description and we will go from there.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The sound is like a berring going bad. It does it when it warms up at times it is louder than others and if i give it gas it goes away for a bit then comes back

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Hi jdbeth

Welcome to the greatest GW forum on the net... I am confident these GW wonders can help you figure out your problem!!

If you ever get up around my neck of the woods give a shout and we can ride:waving:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

jdbeth wrote:
The sound is like a berring going bad. It does it when it warms up at times it is louder than others and if i give it gas it goes away for a bit then comes back

:baffled:

That sounds like it could be a rod bearing to me. What weight oil do you use? A heavy oil like 20-50wt. might help.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hay digby thanks for the offer as soon as i get it going ill do that.

the oil i use is Castrol GTX 20/50 I think I am going to start to pull the motor tonight

:baffled:ill let you guys know how it goes

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey jdbeth :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: Im suprised that a "Guru" has not come to your aid so far. :stumped: A lot of these guys take holidays around this time :jumper:so just hang in there and one will come your way very soon. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I got it fixed all I have to say is do not put Lucas oil in a goldwing the oil is to thick and gets alot of air bubbles in it when the motor is running and doesn't allow enough lubrication to the entire motor all you guy have been so cool and i will check in to this website everyday to talk with you all Like I say"WHY BE HEARD ON A HARLEY WHEN YOU CAN BE SEEN ON A GOLDWING"

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

Welcome jdbeth, glad to see you found the problem, funny though, on another post we were talking about the dreaded "Snake Oil" and one poster was putting 8 oz of Lucas oil treatment in his 1200 Aspy and loves it and has no problem! Humpphh! makes me wonder now:baffled:.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

jdbeth wrote:
I got it fixed all I have to say is, all you guy have been so cool and i will check in to this website everyday to talk with you all Like I say"WHY BE HEARD ON A HARLEY WHEN YOU CAN BE SEEN ON A GOLDWING"
Hey jdbeth :clapper: Well done and drop in often. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Welcome to the Forum. It has already saved you from pulling an engine. There is a lot of knowledge that members will share!:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

thanks guy this is the best room that i have came across you guys are awsome and i will be on daily later

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.