Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to know what welding system mig tig etc. is best to weld gl1800 mufflers. I think they are made of a type of stainless steel know as austenitic steel. But i am not sure if this is correct. Can you use a mig with carbon wire or do i need stainless wire? I am modifying the gl1800 mufflers to fit my trike. I also could use gas torch with a special rod if one is available. I am a very amateur welder but have a mig with spool gun, DC tig, and oxy/acct torch I just do not know what process is best for this material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenitic_stainless_steel

A little light reading here
http://www.mceproducts.com/knowledge-base/article/article-dtl.asp?id=18
RICK

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

William is right, A car exhaust will be cheaper and there are some really nice chrome slip-on extensions available.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Way too late boys.
Its now a see if I can do it just for fun.
I have cut the enterence off till I hit the first internal baffle about 1.00". Then I plan to reverse the domed cap with the connector cut out and weld the cap on to the cut off end then weld the connector in the concave cap at the correct angle and position. This will make the muffler the same length as the stock mufflers. After reading the web stuff I now I do not have the ability to correctly weld this up so I think i will tac it in position on the bike and take it it to a welder who has the ability to weld it correctly.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

tig welder is the one to use,run welder at 30/40 ,you will distroy the chrome finish with in around 1 inch either side of weld,take your time and keep the heat as low as you can just enough to keep the weld pool active,not the easyist weld for beginner just make sure faces to be weilded together are clean ,stripped of the chrome finish and mated together as tight as possible,hope this helps,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.