Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I DO NOT KNOW IF ANYONE IS CLOSE TO THE BEACH GROVE AREA HERE IN INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA OR KNOWS A GOOD TRUST WORTHY PLACE TO TAKE MY WING BUT I AM IN NEED OF SOME HELP. I BOUGHT THIS 77 GL1000 AND HAVE PUT LITTLE WORK INTO IT TO GET IT RUNNING WHICH MADE ME HAPPY. IT RUNS FAIRLY GOOD AS IS BUT DOES NEED SOME WORK THAT I DO NOT HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO DIG INTO BY MYSELF. THE IDLE AND LOW END CARBS SEEM TO BE MY BIGGEST ISSUE. ONCE UP TO SPEED IT RUNS SO SMOOTH BUT GETTING THERE IS A BIT OF TROUBLE AT TIMES. I COULD REALLY USE A HAND GETTING THINGS IN ORDER BUT EVERYONE I KNOW ROUND HERE KNOWS NOT A THING BOUT OLD WINGS ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. AGAIN IF YOUR CLOSE AND COULD TAKE A LOOK AT IT JUST TO INFORM ME WHAT NEEDS DONE OR IF YOU KNOW A PLACE THAT CAN DO THAT FOR ME WOULD BE AWESOME. THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Probably needs a good cleaning and/or low speed jet adjustment. Lots of little parts in there that can get clogged with junk.

And typing in all caps is considered SHOUTING.;)

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Not near you my friend but while you are looking for someone who can help you, go to auto zone or napa and buy a can of sea foam. put half the can into a full tank of fuel & start running the bike. This will help clean out those carbs. Your low speed circut might be getting plugged up causing the bad low end performance.

You also need your carbs sinced. This is done with vacuum guages & sets each carb to each cylinder with equal vacuum on all 4 cylinders. this will also increase performance! I hope you find someone near you that can help!!!!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

so you say "if i haven't changed" well i have not changed them no. but would that cause the issues i am having. i tried sea foam but due to the fact that it is the low end i would almost have to let it idle forever right? well thanks for all the advice. one more thing was quoted 44 dollars a piece on the belts is that good price

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

To get it done right the first time you need to send your carbs to a professional. I recommend Pistol Pete. it costs a hunk but that way it is right. While they are gone get your tank cleaned out and if needed sealed. then fill with fresh Gas, replace the lines and filter and flush the pumpuntil clean. then yyou will be ready to install the carbs.

For belts you should be able to get them at Napa for around 25 or less each. I have heard of guys getting them for 18 or 19 but I can not find them for less than 24. Belts are critical. Use only a good brand name and follow the how too in the reference section very carefully to prevent destroying your engine.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

no it wouldn't, unless of course they are off a tooth.... however, in an old wing you often don't know the age of the belts... if they break you, at best, will be doing a valve job from bent valves, or at worse, finding an ebay engine

on these older wings they have a constant velosicty carb.... the carb top comes off and there is a piston that slides up and down responding to the vacum in the carb. this mechinism can get stcky.... when it does, the bike will hesitate on acceleration, and run a little rough at speed... it is fairly easy to clean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.