Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was riding today and my 1500 started ticking real bad. When I stopped , I can hear some kind of growling noise also. If you rev the motor the growling noise goes away. Also if you remove the #1 spark plug wire the ticking noise goes away. Need help ASAP.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Ok. The ticking noise is likely a leaky exhaust joint at the exhaust manifold.

The growling could be an alternator bearing or a timing belt tensioner bearing. At least those are my first picks with this little bit of info so far.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I pulled the air box cover and when I put my finger over the tube in the top right corner of the breather box, the growling sound goes away.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

It is normal for that hose to push air. It is normally muffled inside the air box and must not have been fitted correctly at the connection under the box.

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Not much info to go on for the ticking noise. Check your oil level. Use a long screw driver or short piece of broom stick handle held to your ear to pin point. A length of heater hose 5/8-3/4 works well for isolating external noises. Check that the spark plug is not broken and/or loose.

JD

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The ticking noise sounds like exhaust inside the secondary air system. I think I might need to pull the carbs and check out the Reed valves.The ticking and the gurgle sound started at the same time.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Check the molded vac hoses under the carbs. They get leaks at the bends

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I think I figured it out. The ticking is an exhaust leak, The air injection system has metal tubes that goes to the exhaust ports but they are rubber braided hoses that connect to the reed valve cases. I think that one of them maybe has come loose or has a hole in it. All the noise is coming from the top of the motor close to the carbs. The service manual says remove the carbs to gain access to the AICV and the Reed valve cases and hoses.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I pulled the air box cover and when I put my finger over the tube in the top right corner of the breather box, the growling sound goes away.
That would sound like your choke is engaged or not releasing.

When choked, passages are opened up an causes much more noise withing the air box. There is also a corrugated hose and heat riser the attaches to the air box. the hose can divert some of the noise, but the choke operation will give you growl sucking noise.

Make sure you choke is functioning properly.

Also, the engine also has reed valves.

Your tick noise description with the spark plug removed to mesounds like a rod bearing. To me, a rodknock and something withing the valve train is more of a tick.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

My suspicions were right, I pulled the carbs and the left fan and found the metal hose on the left front cylinder exhaust has slipped out of the rubber connector on the reed valve case. The only way I see to replace it is to remove the left intake.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I was able to push the metal hose back into the braided hose, I looked at the right side to see how it locks in place and had to bend the metal hose down a little to lock it on the intake manifold. Replaced a few vacuum lines and tightened the carb boots. Got it back together and it runs better than before. Quiet and smooth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.