Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to all.
This is atually atwo part request for help and if it need to be moved to another forum someone please do so.
Mech problem. I have a '83 with 67k miles which I rescued from a 15 yr garage storage. I have put 2000 miles on it since the rescue and the bike is running fine, except for a loud ticking noise. I have heard this noise for 2000 miles and I can't figure it out. Checked the timing, valves, exhausts etc numerous times. I'm looking for someone in the SD area willing to take a listen to give me their opinion. This is my sole source of travel and I need to fix this. I think it's some kind of exhaust noise, but I can't verify that.
I know alot of you will want to send me suggestions to try this and that, alot of you already have and I appreciate that. I've tried them already. I really would just like someone to give a listen to the bike (take it out if you want) and tell me what you think. I am currently statying in a hotel so I do not have them means to work on the bike right not.
Which brings me to my second problem.
Two weeks ago I moved to San Diego from the bay area to start a new job. After over two years of unemployment, I had to take this opportunaty. I am in desperate need of an affordable week-to-week or month to month room for a month or so. I just need a room to keep about 6 bags of luggage and a safe place to park my bike at night. Im looking for cheap, not beautiful. I'm a quiet, non-smoking, no drugs professional working in the computer\IT field. The closer to downtown SD the better.
Anyone know anyone with a room to rent?
I received a ton of help here when I was rebuilding the beast, sure hope you guys (and gals) can help me again.
Thanks.
dvcruz

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I am in Oceanside Ca (North San Diego) and tomorrow will be at the Ride for Kids event off I5 and Manchester Ave. You can catch me there or today here at the house!

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

About the ticking noise. Can you isolate it to an area of the engine, like say left or right head?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Dvcruz
Did you do the rescue yourself?
Did you change the timing belts when you did the rescue? If a belt is off by a tooth or two you will have ticking. If that is the case, that tick could be a valve hitting a piston.
I'd love to help you out but am on an extended ride about. I'm back in NH at the present time. Should be back in Oceanside the end of October.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Rode the Ride for Kids today - it was a great day for a ride. Thanks to Unionjk for the invite and the suggestion that the ticking noise may be a result of me switching from the normal paper air filter to a foam air filter. That's an east fix to try.

JWayne - I've tried very hard to locate the noise and it always seems to be coming from dead center of the engine, like where the lower steering head bearing is. At times I thought it might even be the tach cable. So I kinda like the idea that I may be hearing it through the air filter because the location would sure fit where the sound seem to be coming from - right between my knees.

Newday777 - yes, I did all the work myself and I have very carefully check the timing belt adjustment (even had it verified by a second set of eyes). Let me know when you're back in town and if I haven't found a fix by then maybe we can hookup for a look and listen.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

It was nice meeting you today dvcruz.

Sorry I was so busy all the time.

I did not see Rocky there today even though he swore to me two days previous that he would be. I will have to chastize him some later. I also sent your Email and phone number to him with a description of your concerns, so hopefully you will hear from him soon too.

I thought the engine sounded somewhat normal, not as quite as a six cylinder of course, but not bad for a four banger. In my own case I also noticed a lot more noise in the cockpit after installing that foam filter, noise which went away after going back to the paper filter. The intake got a lot dirtier with the foam too, now is remains clean again.

I hope you can enjoy the bike for many years to come, I know I have enjoyed my 84, and look forward to doing so for a long long time yet.

If you ever need a place to work on her, and a jack and some tools ect. you are always welcome up here in Oceanside.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks unionjk, it was good to meet you in person and I had a great time at the ride. It was a well put together event and helping to raise over $58,000 for sick kids sure makes one feel good.

Don't worry about Rocky not being there, I'm sure I'll meet him soon enough. Thanks for your help there too.

I was thinking about the air filter during the ride and you may actually be right there. For the first 1000 or so miles, I don't think I really heard the ticking. But at some point, I replaced the filter and that might be when I first began noticing it. So, I'm gonna give that a try.

If I need a place to work on the bike, I'll may just have to give you a hollar. Most apartments I've been indo allow for any kind of vehicle work. Thanks for the offer.

Now if I could just find a place to stay that would really be a big help.

Have a good one!

Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.