Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally, I went to WalMart to get an AGM Battery for my 1200.

First off, theres no help in the automotive section this time of day, plus it's a Holiday.

So I have to go by the EverStart book that is there and the everstart computer gadget that find the battery for your equipment.

The books do not have the AGM batteries in them and the computer doesn;t either.

So I got the AGM, ES20LBS battery. It will start the 1800 based on what I had seen on line, but I can not find which one will fit the 1200. Demensionally it does fit, even smaller than the present battery by about 2" in width.

Its 225 Cranking amps and 18AH.

Will it work in the 85 1200 LTD??

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The WestCo AGM battery listed for the '85 Goldwing has 300CCA and is 22AH. I started my LTD with a MUCH smaller battery, out of a Vulcan 750. I don't know how long it would have run that way. The WestCo battery is $130. I put a Wallyworld regular battery in mine, for $35, because I already knew I had charging system problems, and didn't want to fry an expensive battery. I also wanted to be able to keep an eye on the electrolyte level. I would make sure your charging system is working right before you get an expensive battery.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I already got the EverStart AGM es20LBS. ($76)

I just put the acid in and it;s sitting, then I'll throw the charger (1.5 amp tender) on it till morning.

Based on what I can read, this battery, even though smaller in size, should do more than the original spec battery. Definitely more than the Sears piece of Crap that's in there now.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Battery worked great. It starts much faster than the old battery (which was just a couple of months old)(Sears).

At idle volt meter on dash was reading 13.9 volts. I have never gotten 13.9 at full RPM's let alone idle.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I hate responding to my own post but I would want to post something that may help someone else.

At low speeds, 20 to 30MPH my 1200 would buck, the engine sounded like it was missing on a couple of cylinders. After the battery install, I can't get it to do it. I can drive 20 to 30 and she just glides with ease now, no skipping or chugging.

I don't know what a low battery would have to do with that but since the new battery, this thing is even more awesome that it was just yesterday! Best $76 I ever spent.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Hard to say. The fuel injection is electronic, it has a lot of electronic sensors and an ECM, and low voltage could cause issues with all that stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I think you are right Jerry. All those electronics soak up a lot of battery power.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

JOBE05 you are experiencing internal battery condition that is good at least for now. A lot of older battery types lose the actual holding ability of the electrons and this will actually diminish the ability of the charging system to work in parallel with the battery.

With 2 systems in parallel you have the ability of taking power from each but with a battery its power comes from storage and that battery's ability to give up all that is stored.

But a lot of battery types become compromised usually because of materials and bad construction and a battery like this becomes like a dirty sponge, taking up less and less electrons and able to deliver less current than what its rating says it can.

And the ratings on these batteries can be deceiving, ratings by some companies are more a wish list than actual. If these batteries were actually tested they would not meet their rating or a standard, but we as consumers rely on manufacturers to be honest. As we see every where what we buy is often not what we get.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

So, if it's physically smaller, what did you do, shim it with something?
I think you could have found the correct battery somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.