Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost electrical power on this bike. When I turn the key on the radio turn signals and brake lights will work but no headlight or dash lights and nothing when I press the starter button. I have a good battery and have checked the fuses. I did some rear brake work on this bike and it was running fine, I can't think of anything I could have done but I am open to ANY Ideas.

Thanks Dannie

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
make sure the dog bone fuse is good .It may look good but have a hairline crack .

make sure your in neutral , make sure you havent accidently moved the reverse lever . It doesnt take much to move the micro switches .

the clutch lever also has a micro switch , perhaps wiggle the lever while trying to crank

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Radio and brakelights would indicate that your two manin fuses are OK... so that's a good thing

With the dash illumination out -- you'll be looking for issues with te TAIL/MAIN relay -- these are quite often at/past their service ratings an will have heat damage so a little bump can upset what little contact the relay may have been relying on (like moving the left saddle bag for brake work, which happens to cover the relay box..?)

Should be missing: position lights, marker lights, headlights, oil-pressure light, cornering lights, and other stuff depending on year and model

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I believe its the parking fuse that is out. left side fuse box. mine did the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas but still no power. I checked the parking fuse it was good and replaced the TAIL/MAIN relay with the one from the brake lights because I knew it was working, still nothing. I was hoping one of those would be the problem. Any other ideas? I have the older GLs down pretty good as far as working on them but the 1500 not so much.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
What year a model are ya workin with there? (a few things can be particular to bike)

Will your horns and turn signals work?

You should be able to get the 'Cruise ON' indicator to light, right? (key on & push in the Cruise switch)

Any luck getting a Neutral light?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry should have said it is a 91A. I do have the cruise light, turn signals and E flashers but no neutral light or horn(not sure if horn worked before I worked on it). Bike is in neutral.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...When I turn the key on the radio turn signals and brake lights will work but no headlight or dash lights and nothing when I press the starter button. I have a good battery and have checked the fuses. I did some rear brake work on this bike and it was running fine, I can't think of anything I could have done but I am open to ANY Ideas...
The lack of starter-turnover might be explained by having detached the Bank Angle Sensor(BAS) green connector, located beneath the seat and in front of the trunk. That said, it would not explain the lack of headlight or dash lights.

Try Jumping the larger terminals on Starter Solenoid-A (located just in front of the battery), with ignition turned On... Does the starter turn over?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...neutral light... Bike is in neutral.
Might be a bad Reverse Switch... try Twanging the switch's plunger, to release a stuck switch... you can often simply reach up with your finger (with side panel still installed) and reach the plunger.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Sorry should have said it is a 91A. I do have the cruise light, turn signals and E flashers but no neutral light or horn(not sure if horn worked before I worked on it). Bike is in neutral.
Cruise Light is a good thing -- rules out the BAS, the Cruise/Start fuse, and the IGN/CRUISE relay ... but nothing related to the headlight, or the dash lights which are in seperate areas.

I'll have to dig into a schematic or something.. I'm seeing the tail and start stuff as coming back to the 15A TAIL/METER/POSITION fuse and the current it passes through the MAIN/TAIL relay ... but the headlamps are not in that circuit (2 seperate relays, 2 from a 5A HEAD fuse and the other from 5A- HEAD RELAY fuse...) -- any "higher-up" than that ad we're at the ignition switch and the 30A Main fuse on Starter Relay A - but there are other things working off of the ign-switch to kinda rule that out (Cruise ON indicator, Turn Signals...)

Leme dig into a book (or toss around some other thoughts) knowing that the 15A TAIL/METER/POSITION fuse and the MAIN/TAIL relay are not in question... Speaking of, can you pull the #3 MAIN/TAIL relay, take a minute to inspect the socket that it came outta to ensure you don't have a melted or damaged pin, then turn the key on, and then re-seat the #3 relay?? Try to feel if you get a good "CLICK" outta the relay that you're using in there in the #3 spot...

It may also be interesting to try: Flip the side stad up, pull the clutch lever in and try to start it...-- generally, will work if the bike's "N" light is un-powered and the bike is not in reverse.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alex I have jumped solenoid and the starter & engine turn over I will try the reverse switch. Satin I will check the relay socket and will try the side stand up & start idea.

Thanks again Dannie

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alex I checked the relay socket and it was good and could feel the relay click in & out. I even changed relays again just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One other thing, when I pulled the fuse by the starter relay the plastic just fell apart but I have that jumped out temp. now so I do not thank that is a problem. I am open for any more ideas.

Thanks for the ideas so far Dannie

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
One other thing, when I pulled the fuse by the starter relay the plastic just fell apart but I have that jumped out temp. now so I do not thank that is a problem. I am open for any more ideas.
Let's not rule that Solenoid-A out so fast, as we just discovered that if that fuse/holder is cracked, then you can jump the solenoid and get starter to turn over (with ignition On), yet engine will not run: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-90-1500-broke-down-custer-sd-vacation-4.html

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again Alex I did jump across the large poles and the starter did turn over but engine did nor run. I did read that and had hoped that would be it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Check for continuity on the 30Amp Fuse, in Starter Solenoid-A... sometimes they have hairline cracks, or don't seat properly when installed.

So far as the #6 (Ignition) relay Clicking, that still does not indicate that the relay works... I know that you swapped it already, yet you might want to try another (preforably New) one to be sure of ruling that out.

Check the connector to the ignition switch, located at top rear of left side fan... If that comes loose, then the engine will not run while starter is being jumped as you did.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got another starter solenoid and still the same. I will change relays again and check ignition switch also.

Thanks Dannie

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I GOT IT!! I GOT IT!! it was just a fuse after all, I thought I had check all of the fuses but I just did not look at this one good enough. It was the fuse that went from the Main/Tail relay. Thanks everyone especially you Alex, I would not even have known where to start.

Thanks Dannie

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Great news!

Now hang on to that spare Solenoid-A, to keep in your roadside kit, along with some extra 30 amp fuses for same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.