Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everybody,

Once again, as a Goldwing rookie, I am asking for your help. I have a Garmin Quest GPS leftover from my Harley. I need to get it mounted properly on the new Goldwing. I have discovered two part numbers that look promising, but the websites don't tell many details about either. If anyone knows anything, please help.

Garmin has a motorcycle mount for the Quest. No details are given, but it looks like a cradle with wiring, but no definite way to attach it to the bike. Garmin part number 010-10610-00.

The other oneis a RAM mount, part number RAM-B-174-GA15U. It says it's for a Goldwing and the picture shows it clearly mounted in it's cradle, on a Goldwing, but I can see no wiring. I have written to RAM to ask about how it is powered, but they do not respond. I can see no power source. It looks like a very nice mount and just what I need, but I can see no way to get power to the unit. The Garmin mount has cradle and power wires, but no way to attach it to a bike. They do not appear to be compatible with each other.

I know that if I could see them, it would be obvious, but I hate to spend a bunch of money on the trial-and-error discovery system. I don't mind spending whatever it takes to get the job done right, but I don't want the expense or the aggravation of buying something that won't work. If anyone knows anything about either of these mounts, or can recommend any other good way to get the Quest onto the Goldwing, please give me your ideas.

I have the GoldwingGPS system, but there are many things that it cannot do, that the old Garmin can. I really need to get it on there.

Thanks for your help.....Thank you very much. You people are excellent!

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Rick, the RAM handlebar mount is AWESOME for my Quest, however you'll either run on the battery, or you'll need to purchase the power/sound cord from them as the cord that goes to the Quest power supply will not screw into the back of the RAM mount.

Last time I looked, the cord set costs about $100

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Rick, the RAM handlebar mount is AWESOME for my Quest, however you'll either run on the battery, or you'll need to purchase the power/sound cord from them as the cord that goes to the Quest power supply will not screw into the back of the RAM mount.

Last time I looked, the cord set costs about $100
I don't understand this. There is nothing that screws into my Quest. The back of the unit has a series of small copper strips that make contact with the corresponding small copper strips on the cradle when the unit is attached. There is no place to plug or screw anything in. I do not understand. Is there a power cord available from RAM? How does it connect?

Thanx...... Rick

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I do not know much about Quest, but on the Garmins the best mount is the one that fastens with longer screws into the handlebar controls. Part of the RAM secures to the Garmin and then to the actual mount. As for power and output cables, you route them however you wish and from where you wish and you have to devise your own way to neaten up and secure the cables.

I just run them down the inside of the handlebar, under the rear flat wiring cover, and where the cover does not totally secure it like at the unit, a wire tie or two does the job, then down through the front steering head area and up into the left pocket area for connection.

I would assume the Quest would be similar if the mount says it is designed for it. The garmin comes with a special mount that can be adapted to the RAM........so you will have to call them most likely, I am sure they make one for the Quest, they make a mount for just about anything.

Kit

Oh my brain went to sleep, as for the power cord, it comes with the unit of choice or not. Not from RAM, if the Quest does not have a power cord you will have to contact them and obtain one. Other companies such as kennady carry the interface cable to connect to the output of the unit and the input to the bike to maintain the functions of the electronics on the bike. Or if your GPS has an built in MP3 player you can just use the simple cord from honda for those functions through the AUX part of the bike.
Will lose some function that way, such as CB, radio, intercome and so on, if that is important to you. If you wish it all to function with an outside GPS the interface harness is required.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I have the Quest ram mount, the power cord attaches to the Quest mount in the lower rt corner lined up with the copper strips. The cord is screwed to the mount with a itsy bitsy screw on the bottom. You can but the mount / cord together, or get the coed separately. There are different mounts/cradles available, My preference for the wing is the one with a clasp over the top for security, I can supply pic's if you want. Cheers:waving::action::action:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
I have the Quest ram mount, the power cord attaches to the Quest mount in the lower rt corner lined up with the copper strips. The cord is screwed to the mount with a itsy bitsy screw on the bottom. You can but the mount / cord together, or get the coed separately. There are different mounts/cradles available, My preference for the wing is the one with a clasp over the top for security, I can supply pic's if you want. Cheers:waving::action::action:
Yes, I would like to see those pictures if you don't mind. I can't see any wires on the pictures I've seen, and when I do a search on RAM's website, it turns up no power cord of any kind.

Thanks...... Rick

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Ram sells a cradle but not the cord, you can find them on ebay or from garmin. I got mine from ( http://www.gpscity.com/topsearch-quest/c=all ). They have the best selection & should show you what you need. If not let me know. :waving::action::action:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I have the Quest also. The motorcycle mount from Garmin comes with the necessary cables, but not a good way to mount it, so you will need the RAM mount also. I can take some pictures of mine as well if you want, but I don't have my bike at work today, so it will have to be tonight or tomorrow.

Side note, my Quest is on the blink now, has trouble finding satellites. :crying:

Edit - This is the cradle/cable assy I have.

John

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I have the Quest also. The motorcycle mount from Garmin comes with the necessary cables, but not a good way to mount it, so you will need the RAM mount also. I can take some pictures of mine as well if you want, but I don't have my bike at work today, so it will have to be tonight or tomorrow.

Side note, my Quest is on the blink now, has trouble finding satellites. :crying:

Edit - This is the cradle/cable assy I have.

John

What kind of mount do you use with this? I've found a mount that bolts to the handlebar controls, but it has no power. (RAM part number RAM-B-174-GA15U). Wouldthis power cable you have work with that mount? The mount already has a cradle, so I would only need the power connection.

Have you had any trouble with the connections? I read a couple of reviews on the GPS City website and some people were doing some serious bitching about intermittent connections on this unit you have. Has yours been any problem?

I have had no trouble with my Quest in 3.5 years, but my brother has had trouble with his. It would just lock up now and then. He ended up buying a different one. But mine has been perfect. They were identical.

Thanks....... Rick

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Del Que wrote:
What kind of mount do you use with this? I've found a mount that bolts to the handlebar controls, but it has no power. (RAM part number RAM-B-174-GA15U). Wouldthis power cable you have work with that mount? The mount already has a cradle, so I would only need the power connection.
Have you had any trouble with the connections? I read a couple of reviews on the GPS City website and some people were doing some serious bitching about intermittent connections on this unit you have. Has yours been any problem?
I use a RAM mount too, not sure of the part number, but it also bolts to the controls. The cradle is a Garmin brand and didn't come with the RAM mount. Not sure if the motorcycle cables will work with your cradle. If your cradle has the same connector then it might. I'll try to take some pictures for you tomorrow. BTW, the cable is not just power, it also has an audio jack to connect to your headset/intercom system.

I've not had any problems with connections. My Quest is 2 years old and just started having trouble finding satellites about a month ago, and it has gotten progressively worse. I just bought a replacement for it on ebay today, a Quest 2 since it uses the same cradle and has more memory.

John

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Perhaps the connection problem lies in the type of cradle, one has a clip over the top & one does not I do not think it would hold the unit as tight. I use the one with the clip over the top on my bike & have no problem. :baffled::action::action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Ok, the Garmin Quest comes (when purchased from the store) with a suction cup mount with a lighter plug adapter for use in the car.

RAM mounting systems give you the cradle, and a way to attach it to the bike.

If you want to run power to it, and pipe that nagging, insistent b!thcy voice of the nagivator into your stereo/intercom, you'll need this:

RAM QUEST POWER AUDIO CABLE BARE WIRE

Which will screw into the back of the RAM mount, contacting the 4 copper contacts, and wiring directly into your bike as you see fit, because you cannot take the one from the suction cup mount that comes with the Quest and use it in the RAM.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

OK, pictures are uploaded. You can see them here.

Here's some brief descriptions of the pictures.

1. Quest mounted and latched.
2. Quest mounted and latched from the left view.
3. Front of the cradle, unlatched. Note the latch lever with the red arrow on the right side.
4. Right side of the cradle showing the latch lever better.
5. Left side of the cradle showing cable.
6. Cradle back piece.
7. Back of cradle with cable plugged in.
8. Back of cradle unplugged.
9. Cable unplugged.
10. Cradle back with cable in holder.
11. GPS audio cable plugged in.
12. GPS audio jack unplugged.
13. RAM mount back. The diamond shaped piece is part of the RAM mount.
14. Cradle latched. Note the two pins sticking out on the right side, inside the cradle. These pins go into the two holes on the right back of the Quest to hold it in place.
15. Cradle latched from an angle view.

Hope this is helpful and answers some of your questions.

John

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

This is the system I used with what ever way you decide to mount it to the bike, there are a couple of choices. Since I don't use the suction mount, I removed the power cable from it, connected it to the holder & plugged it into a cig liter socket in the L pouch - still able to hear the speaker :waving::action::action:

Holder $10.00
- http://www.gpscity.com/ramholga15
Ball & plate $5.00- http://www.gpscity.com/ramb238
Post connector $10.00 -
http://tinyurl.com/5zqnvk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
OK, pictures are uploaded. You can see them here.

Here's some brief descriptions of the pictures......
Thank you, John. Those pictures were really helpful. Better than any I've seen on the websites where they sell this stuff. You obviously went to some trouble to post them and I thank you for your efforts.

Also, thanks to everyone else who contributed their ideas. I think I have located a setup that will work at GPS City. I did not know GPS City existed until you people told me. I think I am about to take a chance and order the components and hope for the best. I think it looks like it will work.

The mount bolts to the handlebar controls. Most, if not all of the pictures I've seen show it on the right side, but I can see no good reason why it wouldn't work on either side. If anyone knows why it won't work on the left side, please let me know, but I expect I'll buy it either way. I would prefer to have it on the left so I can use it while keeping my throttle hand where it belongs. I always thought that was a mistake that Harley-Davidson made with their fairing mount. It was on the right. I always wished it was on the other side. I had to either reach overhand, which is awkward, or set the cruise control to free my right hand, which is not always a good option. I could live with it on the right if I had to, but I'd rather have it on the left.

I will be very happy to get this problem solved. I like some things about the Goldwing GPS and I am glad I bought it. I would not want to give it up. But there are things that the Garmin can do that the Honda GPS cannot. The two major things that I do not want to be without are these: The Garmin has computer software for my home computer. (The Honda GPS does everything on the bike.) I can very easily work up routes in advance and download them to the GPS unit via USB. It is MUCH easier than creating a route on the bike, which is the only way the Goldwing GPS can do it. I can save these routes on my computer forever. Also, and this is the biggest thing, the Honda GPS will not save multiple routes. When you ask it to route you somewhere, it deletes the previous route. It can only do one route. The Garmin can handle numerous downloaded routes and you can pick any one you want while on the bike. This works great for road trips. I can do all the work in advance on my home computer, then download all the routes. A route for each day of the trip, as well as alternates in case something goes wrong or we just change our minds. It is extremely cool and the Honda GPS can't touch it in that respect. I LOVE the large screen on the Goldwing. Much bigger than the Quest. You can actually get some use out of the maps because they are big enough to see. It has other good features as well. I will be happy to be able to use them both.

I want to thank you all again for being so helpful. This forum has been a great discovery for me. I am a Goldwing rookie and I have learned a lot here. I know I have taken much more than I have given. I appreciate all the help. Thank you.

And by the way...... I LOVE this Goldwing!!!!!

Thanks..... Rick

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

You're quite welcome Rick. :) I'm glad it was helpful. There should be no reason it can't mount on the left. I personally just like it better on the right. I too wish the screen was bigger, but it's a nice little unit otherwise.

John

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I have the Quest also and mounted it on the clutch side using the RAM mounting system. Power and audio out is built into the mount. This is what I bought from GPScity:

1. RAM Mount Power and Audio Cradle for Garmin Quest

P/N: RAM-HOL-QP1U SKU: RAMHOLQP1

PRICE EACH: $73.95

2. RAM Mount Motorcycle Handle Base with Standard Arm Diamond Assembly

P/N: RAM-B-3091-238 SKU: RAMB3091-238

PRICE EACH: $25.95

The cradlehas aclip over the top and looks similar to p/n RAM-HOL-GA15U. However, mine hasa power cord built into it that I ran down to the battery and an audio out plug that you can use with one of those mp3 player cassette tape converters. Power to the Quest is automatic when the Quest when inserted in the cradle. The cradle has metal power strips that connect with the strips on the Quest.

This RAMmounting setup holds the unit securely but the location makes it difficult to see it and drive at the same time. I have to drop my head and look down. I've tried various combinations of short and long RAM arms without great success. Being able to mount the cradle in the center somewhere near the key switch would be ideal, I think. I'm looking for a mounting bar that goes across the handle bars and accepts RAM mounts. I may also try some kind of velcro arrangement next spring.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

JimsWing wrote:
I have the Quest also and mounted it on the clutch side using the RAM mounting system. Power and audio out is built into the mount. This is what I bought from GPScity:

1. RAM Mount Power and Audio Cradle for Garmin Quest

P/N: RAM-HOL-QP1U SKU: RAMHOLQP1

PRICE EACH: $73.95

2. RAM Mount Motorcycle Handle Base with Standard Arm Diamond Assembly

P/N: RAM-B-3091-238 SKU: RAMB3091-238

PRICE EACH: $25.95
Thanks Jim. I wrote to GPS City and they replied with two links. The Cradle and power cable is the same part number as yours. The mount is a different part number (RAM-B-174U), but it fits your description perfectly. It mounts to the handlebar controls and has the ball with a short link, and then the diamond shaped base. It appears to be just what you describe. The price was exactly the same. Maybe they just changed the part number. Or maybe it's because your bike is a GL1500 and mine a GL1800. Anyhow, it looks like it will work.

If the visibility is not that great, I guess I can live with it. I don't plan on staring at it all the time. I just want to be sure it doesn't block my view of any of the gauges or other important stuff. I have the onboard GPS on the Goldwing, but it doesn't do some important things that I've become dependent on. If I can just get the Quest on there where I can see it reasonably well, I'll be happy. I'll make it work. That's my job. I have until spring, when we ride to Michigan.

Thanks for your input.......

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.