Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed a new J&M CB on my 1500 this morning and it was easier than I was thinking it would be. The only negative thing I can say is the Operation instructions they send need improving. The weather mode comes in strong and clear and I can hear others talking but not clear. This may be because of where I am located at. I need to go out and find out if it picks up while on an interstate.

For those that have one of J&M’ CB’s can you answer a few questions for me?

Q1, When I change the mode it goes to the weather channel. I hit the mode button again and it goes to “on” and then I hit the button one more time and it goes back to the CB.. So what is the middle mode for and what does “of” stand for?

Q2, The knob on top that is labeled as Max Volume but nothing happens when I turn the knob. The volume does not change.

Q3, Where the CB is now mounted is in the same location I had my cup holder mounted, where/how did you mount your cup holder once you installed this CB?

Any of you J&M CB users able to help me out?

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

red_bike wrote:
I installed a new J&M CB on my 1500 this morning and it was easier than I was thinking it would be. The only negative thing I can say is the Operation instructions they send need improving. The weather mode comes in strong and clear and I can hear others talking but not clear. This may be because of where I am located at. I need to go out and find out if it picks up while on an interstate.

For those that have one of J&M’ CB’s can you answer a few questions for me?

Q1, When I change the mode it goes to the weather channel. I hit the mode button again and it goes to “on” and then I hit the button one more time and it goes back to the CB.. So what is the middle mode for and what does “of” stand for?
The "on" is for turning the keypad beep tone on or off. You will notice that when the "on" is displayed, there will also be a musical note symbol with it. If it is on, everytime you touch one of the buttons on your unit, there will be a beep in the headset. If you turn it off, you will no longer hear a beep. It can be rather annoying for the beep all the time and I opted to turn it off. When the "on" comes on, you can toggle it to off using the "chl up" or "chl down".
Q2, The knob on top that is labeled as Max Volume but nothing happens when I turn the knob. The volume does not change.
That volume knob controls the aux input. Like if you have an mp3 player plugged into the 3.5mm aux cord that should have come with the CB. If one is plugged in, you can increase or decrease the volume of the mp3 player being played into your headset. However, if you didn't attach that extra cord, like you have found, it will do nothing.

Q3, Where the CB is now mounted is in the same location I had my cup holder mounted, where/how did you mount your cup holder once you installed this CB?
This I can't help you with because I don't have one. The only suggestion I can make is to possibly move the cup holder to the other side???
Any of you J&M CB users able to help me out?
One other thing in case you weren't aware of it, the regular inside volume knob pulls/pops out (To your left while sitting on the bike).You cancontrol how loud your microphone will sound in your headset and intercom volume if you have a passenger connected.

Did you also check the SWR's of the unit? The JMCB's can be rather finicky if you don't tune the SWR's on the antenna. It should be done at the antenna connection at the CB and because JMCB use standard cb antenna connectors, you shouldn't need any special adapters, just a regular SWR meter and a double pl-259 coupler like this:

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Ooops, my bad, looking at the JMCB-GL15 install directions, it doesn't show that aux 3.5mm cord.

I guess it doesn't come on your version. However, inside the boot for the 9-pin connector isa 3-pin connector and that cord would connect to that.

Here are the directions for the regular JMCB install and they have more info.

Also I forgot that the JMCB uses the factory intercom so I am not completely certain that those directions about the intercom/mic volume I gave youare correct. You may have to try it and see what happens. I have a JMCB-2003-DU on mine and sometimes forget that the GL15 version is wired slightly different. BTW, One thing I am pretty certain about though is no matter which version is being used, the head unit is the same and just uses different labels on the face and different wiring harness but the controls are identical.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Mike, I looked and looked for directions like that and could not find them. THANKS, this place has been great helping me with anything I have asked.
No I have not checked my SWR and really not sure how to do it.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Checking the SWR is not real difficult. HERE is a pretty good guide on the operation of an SWR meter. Difference being that, like I mentioned, should be done at the antennaconnector at the CB. One big thing to remember, you can always trim the antenna but you can't ever add to it. So be careful cutting off a little at a time andONLY if it is needed!!! And these antennas can be a bear to trim. Not easy to cut but can be ground down a little at a time. But before you go to trimming, make sure that you have a good ground first. A bad ground will give you really high SWR readings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.