Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the video on how to replace the air filter on my 2009 wing. Replaced with a new filter. Now I am trying to return the shelter to the correct position and I am having a tuff time getting the shelter into the correct position. Is there a tip or trick to getting the proper aliment....As close as I can tell, all cables are in the some location as found....so I'm not sure why it will not go back down into the normal position... I would be thankful for any input...or suggestions. Rocky

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Is it not going down far enough? or not lining up with fairing? I just finished doing my air filter several weeks ago ..there is not a lot of room in there ..check that all the electrical plugins are in there proper place again... more than likely a wire bundle has shifted.. the 2 big plugins the ones on top of the air filter had shifted on me .. ..another thing it could be is the fuel filler box ..I know frustration well ..just put the boot back on my swing-arm that had come off

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to not be going down on the right hand side. I found a muti wire connector on this same side. it appears to have no place to be connected to...I think it is the plug for the NAV system my bike is not equipted with. I can't remember if I dis-connected or not. I don't remember .... It is on the same side i'm having a problem with.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
There is also a cb plug on the right side... only used if you have a cb you can power up the bike see if the navi works

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
The shelters often get hung up on the plastic drip tray located under the petrol filler flap. What happens is the lip of the tray catches on the audio unit.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it on completely. I removed it this morning...secured all wiring down as best I could. I think the problem was the intake for the airbox on the right hand side. it was on and screwed down. I found it was not angled slightly down. little pressure and it dropped about an inch on the intake side.

The shelter went on with no problem, all screw points lined up. I will completely secure it in the morning after work...sometimes...I just need to slow down and get it right. ROCKY

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I got it on completely. I removed it this morning...secured all wiring down as best I could. I think the problem was the intake for the airbox on the right hand side. it was on and screwed down. I found it was not angled slightly down. little pressure and it dropped about an inch on the intake side.

The shelter went on with no problem, all screw points lined up. I will completely secure it in the morning after work...sometimes...I just need to slow down and get it right. ROCKY
There yea go ..on my bike the previous owner had modified these intakes and cut them shorter and also not installed the front part ..does not seem to make any difference ..one thing about working on these wings ..there is not a lot of room for error when you go to reinstall ..I like Fred Harrmons maintenance cds he goes into a lot of the things that can cause just this type of problem
good riding to yea

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
The first time is the most difficult... As mentioned, the gas tank drip tray is a common interference issue... I've found that I have to pull apart the rear bottom of the cowl to get it on the bolts on the side of the bike as well - that is also in Fred's videos... BTW, I just received Fred's videos as a birthday present and they are great... I knew some of the stuff in them but I didn't know a lot of the things in there... It's gonna make my life a lot easier and maintenance a lot, lot, easier...

Les

Les

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
sorry - double post

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing is for sure...in the past month or so I've learned alot about this 09 wing. i HAD A 97. I purchased the 97 new and sold it last July and purchased the 09. I love this new wing. Much better at everything compaired to the 97. The 09 arrived with 8,500 miles on it, Deep Blue Met color, and a few chrome pieces already added.

In the past 2 months, I took it apart and added MANY new items to make it mine.
J&L audio upgrade adding a MP3 player....did not have a cd player.
Iphone hook-up AND GPS
chrome spoiler with run,stop and signal, chrome luggage rack, under saddle bag chrome trim with run-stop LEDs
front rotor cover modified with TWO seperate colors LED's Amber and blue
Front little air intake on fairing and radiator vent also have amber and blue leds
under both saddle bags both amber and blue LED's mounted
Lights are controlled by a module switch block mounted on top of front brake res.
Each color can be switched on independent of each other. all blue on or all amber or all both colors .
K&N air filter installed
New bridgestones front and rear.
K&N oil filter with Amsoil 10-40
New gear oil im the rear amsoil

I welcome the birth of my New Goldwing from this day forth to be called " Dark Star" .

In a few weeks we (Rocky and his "Dark Star") will ride to Daytona Beach for bike week. I am so looking forward to the trip down and back. My first trip on DarkStar this year, The first of three trips planned this year. I will be solo so if someone else is planing to ride from Atlanta area....let me know...maybe we can get a group together and roll down to da beach !

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
One thing is for sure...in the past month or so I've learned alot about this 09 wing. i HAD A 97. I purchased the 97 new and sold it last July and purchased the 09. I love this new wing. Much better at everything compaired to the 97. The 09 arrived with 8,500 miles on it, Deep Blue Met color, and a few chrome pieces already added.

In the past 2 months, I took it apart and added MANY new items to make it mine.
J&L audio upgrade adding a MP3 player....did not have a cd player.
Iphone hook-up AND GPS
chrome spoiler with run,stop and signal, chrome luggage rack, under saddle bag chrome trim with run-stop LEDs
front rotor cover modified with TWO seperate colors LED's Amber and blue
Front little air intake on fairing and radiator vent also have amber and blue leds
under both saddle bags both amber and blue LED's mounted
Lights are controlled by a module switch block mounted on top of front brake res.
Each color can be switched on independent of each other. all blue on or all amber or all both colors .
K&N air filter installed
New bridgestones front and rear.
K&N oil filter with Amsoil 10-40
New gear oil im the rear amsoil

I welcome the birth of my New Goldwing from this day forth to be called " Dark Star" .

In a few weeks we (Rocky and his "Dark Star") will ride to Daytona Beach for bike week. I am so looking forward to the trip down and back. My first trip on DarkStar this year, The first of three trips planned this year. I will be solo so if someone else is planing to ride from Atlanta area....let me know...maybe we can get a group together and roll down to da beach !
I've owned my wing for a few years and still love the bike. You will love the mp3 player that plugs into the cd player..that is so slick.. have a great ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.