Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok bought this 85 goldwing bugandy,nice bike but the only thing is the guy painted with a very small paint brush the words FROG EXSPRESS ok so does any body know how i can get this off with out hurting the original paint.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

You can start with oven cleaner in an inconspicuous spot.
If that doesnt work, lacquer thinner in a inconspicuous spot.

If that doesnt work... very very careful wet sanding with 1000 grit followed by compound and polishing.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

well i will try all that ,but its right at the back of the bike just above the honda .thanks

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

1500 Grit paper WITH a block, then buff it up afterwards.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
imported post

Maybe worst case think of a cool decal you could cover it with. Even an American flag would probably look nice in that spot and no one would suspect a thing. Lots of ways to be creative if it comes to that.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ya that was the other idea i had put a decal over it but i dont mean to be rude but i think ill put the canadian flag or both.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

3m makes a really good plastic kinda wheel that hooks to your drill that does not hurt the paint but removes pin stripping, decals and whatnot as long as its not clear coated over

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

It may be one shot lettering enamel. Try mineral spirits or enamel reducer. Jay

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

If it's been there a long time, the rest of the paint around the striping/lettering will probably have faded a little. So, you'll end up with a ghost image of whatever you're trying to get rid of. At that point, the only way I know to get rid of it is to repaint. That's pretty much the only reason I haven't removed all of the pinstriping on my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

you can get some shop line reducer and it should remove it. want hurt the paint if you don't soak it. stay as much on the lines as you can. you shouldn't even have to buff it when your through. keep wiping with the reducer rag until it's gone. not thinner but ppg shop line reducer. easy does it.

if your not comfortable doing the reducer thing the only thing left is a flat block and fine sand paper 1500 2 2000. then buff it.

i have used the laq thinner before with great results but you have to be careful and go slow. it will eventually soften the paint if you stay at it too long. i have been doing this for a long time.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ah why not use a air hammer with the brake fluid lmao put your shoulder into it with a knurled chisle bit

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I removed some pinstriping and lettering from my old 85 LTD when I sold it. The striping had been on there for over 20 years. I used some laquer thinner sparingly on a rag and wiped it. The striping just melted off. Very easy. After removal, I applied some wax to the area and you couldn't tell it had ever been there. There were no ghost images after removal probably because the bike had always been stored inside my shop when not riding it so the paint had not faded.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

If the pin stripe is paint use a razor blade hold it gently against the stripe and drag it along the line you will see the paint from the stripe peeling up. Don't try to take it off in one pass just repeat the above step until stripe is gone then polish with a finishing compound... this will work Ive used this method to get a run out of a fresh paint job. Good luck

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

well guys i liked all the ideas you gave out ,ill start with the easyest first then to the most dangerous ,but i think ill leave break fluid and air hammer out,hope you dont mind.(peterbilt)lol. i'll let you know the winner

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Just add an LED running light over it.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I just successfully removed a whole lot of pinstripes on my bike using oven cleaner...leave it on for 5 minutes then wipe it off, repeat if necessary...don't get the cleaner on your chrome

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

did it do anything to the paint,can you see a ghost lines

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

doesn't affect the paint one bit...haven't noticed any ghost lines. the stripes were on the bike for 10 years.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Well, if that's the case and Rigid11 doesn't have any problems with his I just might get brave enough to try a spot on mine... Somewhere inconspicuous... Maybe the front fender. There's something about applying oven cleaner to paint that just makes me cringe though.... I'm not sure I can make myself do it....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.