Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a 1985 Gold Wing 1200 CC Anniversary edition.

I have driven it approximately 300 KM. When hot I get pinging and engine noises like a loose piston? I had the oil/filter changed when I bought it. After the first 100 KM I had to add a little oil as it was down a bit. Yesterday when I returned from a 60 KM ride when I pulled it into the garage and turned it off I had oil smoke coming out from just behind the rad area. Also when it is hot, if I turn it off it seems very laboured to restart. Engine turns over slowly.

The bike has 83,000 KM ( 50,000 miles)on it. Looks and runs great. Am I in for an engine overhaul? If so, what might this cost me? Thanks for any help.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The hard starting when hot sounds like a starter motor problem. This happens quite often with 4 cylinder Wings, do a search on starter motor and you will find lots of posts. You might just have an oil leak as well, you will really have to pull the lower panels off and have a closer look.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:

I have driven it approximately 300 KM. When hot I get pinging and engine noises like a loose piston? I had the oil/filter changed when I bought it. After the first 100 KM I had to add a little oil as it was down a bit. Yesterday when I returned from a 60 KM ride when I pulled it into the garage and turned it off I had oil smoke coming out from just behind the rad area. Also when it is hot, if I turn it off it seems very laboured to restart. Engine turns over slowly.

The bike has 83,000 KM ( 50,000 miles)on it. Looks and runs great. Am I in for an engine overhaul? If so, what might this cost me? Thanks for any help.
Hawggy, on the hot re-starting problem? You could have anything from a weak starter per englishtedpost, to a cable connection problem, to a weak battery, to an ignition timing problem, to a tight engine problem, to ?

You might try cranking a hot engine with the kill switch turned off,, if that helps thecrankingthen your problem is probably ignition related, if it still drags while cranking your problem is either a tight engine, internal starter problems, a weak battery (try jumping it from a known good motorcycle battery, don't use a car battery),, or high resistance at the starter relay's cable or connections (try jumpingyour battery's (+) post directlyto the starter's power post to by-pass the relay & connections),, or a poor starter ground connection (take a look there & clean the connections)..

On your oil problem, maybe just a leaking oil filter container.. Clean the engine with a mild engine degreaser (caution: that engine is painted so don't use anything that will ruin the paint). Then run it a little & watch it for the oil's origin.. Maybe have to pull back the plastic to see where it is coming from (look at the oil light pressure switch as those are know to leak from time to time)..

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:

Hawggy, do you know if the electric fan is turning on when the engine is hot? What did the engine temp gauge indicate when the engine was smoking?

Is it possible that the pinging noise you heard was because you were lugging the engine?

At 50K miles I seriously doubt that the engine needs a rebuild, especially when you consider that most Wing engines can run up to 300K miles or better without being torn down and I know of a few that have over 500K miles on them and they are still running fine.

Your hot start problem could mean that a simple cleaning of the starter button switch is reqired. After 20 years of use this little switch can become so resistant to current flow that it just about shorts out when hot due to the load that the headlight places on it. Take this switch apart and clean and polish the contacts before you start tearing down the starter. After cleaning the starter button switch if it still doesn't crank properly, you'll need to remove the starter and check the condition ot the brushes, bushings and other internals.

Get back with more info so we can help you out.

Vic

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Hawggy, WELCOME to the Finest GoldWing Forum on the World Wide Web! :waving:

Start with the easy things first. Always start with the easy things. So many times, I have went directly to the harder things to repair only to find if I had started with the easy things, I would have found the problem.

For the cranking of the engine, pull your battery and take it to a local auto parts store and have them load test it. Most will do it for free. If your battery is bad, replace it and then see how your engine cranks.

For the oil, your oil filter is on the front of the engine, just below and to the rear of the radiator. Check the oil filter cover for tightness. if it is tight, get a small bucket (to catch the oil) and remove the filter cover and check the o-ring. I know when I did a recent oil change, the o-ring around the edge of the filter cover did not want to stay in place during re-installation. I had one hell of a time with this. If the ring is not seated in the groove all the way around, this can cause a leak. The oil will leak out an blow back on the engine and will cause the smoke.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The replies above cover most likely problems. I usually put a dab of grease around the fiter ring when installing and this ensures that the ring stays in place.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Everything 1984 GL1200 said... and before pulling the starter ... which is a pain , because you need to remove the muffler and exhaust ./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif..  Check the  hidden Ground strap , behind the black triangular engine mount piece, left side ........... It often gets quite corroded, and  gungy .. cleaning both it and the frame contact point  can make a  REAL  difference, as can cleaning with a tooth brush sized brass wire brush EVERY single  connection to the starter... both posts, all connectors, and electrical straps, etc, etc                                 A  complete engine overhaul is a way way down the road... do all the electrical checks first ..... Silverdave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks everyone fpr all the help.

A compression test was done and it appears it needs a ring job. The compression was low and after oil was squirted it it increased dramatically. Looks like a winter project in the making. too much for my abilities thus it will go to a repair facilty.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.