Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My rear brake caliper rebuild kit finally arrived and I started right in on rebuilding my gumbed up rear brake caliper on my 83' Aspencade- I got the old pistons out using compressed air (thanks for the tip forum members), got them cleaned up and got the old caliper all cleaned up.

But now that I'm putting it back together....I'm stuck! I hate to admit it but I can't figure out how to get the 2 rubber boots on sliding pin sleeve that's centered right below the two pistons. They have to fit into the grooves in the caliper and in the sleeve at the same time and on both ends.The new boots came with the rebuild kit, and I'll bet there's a trick to getting these dang things on without tearing them, I'm sure some of you guys have done this many times and dont have to give it a second thought. This is my first time with these.I've looked but am unable to find any previous posts on this problem.:baffled:

Also do you put grease on the sleeve before re assembling? Or just brake fluid?

Thanks to all for your input on this great site - It's a life-saver, and thanks in advance for your help with this problem

Max 5640

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Max 5640 wrote:
My rear brake caliper rebuild kit finally arrived and I started right in on rebuilding my gumbed up rear brake caliper on my 83' Aspencade- I got the old pistons out using compressed air (thanks for the tip forum members), got them cleaned up and got the old caliper all cleaned up.

But now that I'm putting it back together....I'm stuck! I hate to admit it but I can't figure out how to get the 2 rubber boots on sliding pin sleeve that's centered right below the two pistons. They have to fit into the grooves in the caliper and in the sleeve at the same time and on both ends.The new boots came with the rebuild kit, and I'll bet there's a trick to getting these dang things on without tearing them, I'm sure some of you guys have done this many times and dont have to give it a second thought. This is my first time with these.I've looked but am unable to find any previous posts on this problem.:baffled:

Also do you put grease on the sleeve before re assembling? Or just brake fluid?

Thanks to all for your input on this great site - It's a life-saver, and thanks in advance for your help with this problem

Max 5640
Here's the trick Max! Push the sleeve until one end is half way through the middle of the caliper, this will expose the groove the boot seats in. Put in the boot, push the sleeve the other way out through the installed bootuntil the groove on the other end is exposed and install that boot. By all means grease the sleeve with some high temp grease, it's all too common for water to get in and freeze the sleeve solid which results in a frozen caliper.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey, exavid! Thanks so much! That was perfect advice - just the trick! See, I knew you guys would know just how to do it. That must be why I keep hangin' around this site, you guys are great!

Max 5640

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Well done Max. It's nice when a Senior Guru helps out with problems. We only have two Senior Gurus here and they are first-class. :waving:

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

BenMC wrote:
Well done Max. It's nice when a Senior Guru helps out with problems. We only have two Senior Gurus here and they are first-class. :waving:
I'll second that. :waving::waving::waving:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.