Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK the title is for the bike, so it is not a stolen bike, or else the inspection station would not have inspected it. but the last 3 numbers on one part of the bike are different from another part of the bike. and the title. I sold the bike AS IS, and now the guy is trying to say that the title is wrong, and dmv wont let him get a title. Yet, i had no problem what so ever with getting a title.and the only issue with inspection was because i forgot my insurance card. Any advice, i told him i would try and help resolve this, but he is giving me a hard time. and there is a slight language barrier. how many places is the vin written on the bike. i know the front fork. and someone said behind the headlight. anywhere else. Motor??or anything./ any advice would help. and if he makes a big deal over it, and it is a clean bike/title, he wouldnt really have any case.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

The official vin plate is on the steering neck tube, you should be able to spot it from the left side looking down the the fairing tunnel, with the steering turned to the right.

Any other vin marking is simply to identify a part to its original machine.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

ok, i'll have to go to the guys house and check that. also if a bill of sale was signed. that would help me as well correct. I dont know what his problem is. maybe he is looking at a part number or something. i believe the number he is looking at is on the right sideon the fork

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

scubasteve0324 wrote:
ok, i'll have to go to the guys house and check that. also if a bill of sale was signed. that would help me as well correct. I dont know what his problem is. maybe he is looking at a part number or something. i believe the number he is looking at is on the right sideon the fork
If he is looking at the numbers stamped into the metal of the right side of the fork section then he is looking at the factory serial number. The same number is used as part of the VIN number on the sticker on the left side of the same tube section.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ok i checked it, and there is a problem. have to go to dmv and find out what happened in the morning. i got the bike from the original owner. as far as i know he was the original owner. on one it has 2c02e2005246 thats the reg and title and insurance. and the bike is close. sc022005103. I'm hoping it was just a typo or something. any thoughts, questions to ask dmv in the morning?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

any thoughts on what could have happened somewhere along the line....the only thing i can think of is that one insurance company said something about my bike being a kit bike. which means rebuilt???but wouldnt they re stamo the frame, or is that not necessary. i'm confused

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

scubasteve0324 wrote:
ok i checked it, and there is a problem. have to go to dmv and find out what happened in the morning. i got the bike from the original owner. as far as i know he was the original owner. on one it has 2c02e2005246 thats the reg and title and insurance. and the bike is close. sc022005103. I'm hoping it was just a typo or something. any thoughts, questions to ask dmv in the morning?
Problem solved, pretty sure.... One site I go to shows the SC02-2005103 to be the frame S/N and the SC02E-2005246 to be the engine S/N. Some someone took the number from the wrong place on the bike early on.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Site shows it to be a 1980 model, even though you never mentioned that...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Your local friendly DMV will know. Be prepared for a few headaches. As with any Government Agency...

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The last 5 digits of the VIN are only sequential #s.

Bike needs to titled to the fork tube number, ONLY. On a 1980, there is no other VIN except the Fed Label, which is likely gone.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yeah, but if you don't know where to look, you may assume the number on the engine is the VIN. It is far more visible than the frame VIN in some cases.

The VIN plate is not gone, because he got the number off of it. Somewhere back in time, a PO or DMV goober put the wrong number on a title.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

being i live in nj & know how screwed up our "motor vehicle commision" is, i would just take in the current paperwork & transfer the title playing dum about which is the correct location to verify the vin # to as long as it matched at least one of the places.

if you try to change (correct) the title before you are done you will probally have a bike with no title (after they confiscate & void the current one) or you'll haveto get all kinds of inspections done to sertify it was a salvage that has been properly fixed & probally still have a salvage title reissued. it was the original dealership or a previouse owner since than that gave mvc the wrong info because under normal surcumstances mvc never actually looks at the vehicle, they just push paper so whatever it says they retype.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

Ditto that Crazzyrman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.