Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First off Hi,

Now to the issue. 82 GL1100 interstate, shorted out starter solenoid.

Four wires not counting battery and starter, you guys know the plug I speak of I am sure.

What I need help with is I want to replace this with the old style Ford solenoid and need to know where to wire in the four wires on the new solenoid.

I did search and found a three wire but no four.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum onaXR! I will dig around for that info. others might jump in if they already have the answers!

Have a multi meter ready because your going to be looking for voltage or switched power from the starter button etc.

It would also help if you knew what each post on the ford solonoid was for to make it easier to decide which wire from your wing would do that job. I will get back to you!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

Welcome to our forum, and now it is yours :D

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I don't have your answer either, but I will point out that at least one of the four wires has to do with the charging system. I learned this the hard way. I had managed to pull one of the wires loose just before heading of on a trip. About an hour down the road my Wing died, the bettery was completely dead. I remembered having been tinkering in the area of that wire and looke dit over and found it loose. Put it right got a jump and no more problems.

So for what it's worth..if you are going to make changes to the solenoid you want to mindful of that fact.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys, I know where the Ford relay stuff goes so thats ok.
Thinking hard about this, every wire that is coming out of the four prong plug is sending power somewhere else, right?
I will check here before I jump in this evn.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

Use a lawn tractor solenoid instead of the ford, it's smaller and has the proper terminals. Connect the battery and starter cables on the posts and the yellow/red to one small terminal, the green/red to the other. Connect the red/white and red together and to one end of a 30 amp blade fuse holder. Connect the other wire from the fuse to the positive battery terminal.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Dave are sure that last part is right red/rd-wh combo to + battery?? doesn't go to the battery side of the solenoid? I guess it really doesn't make much difference really and I may be thinking of a 1000.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Someone will correct me if i am wrong, but, I belive that the Ford selenoid has two large terminals, one for the battery and one that should lead to the starter and two smaller terminals. One of the smaller terminals is for the trigger wire from the key that activates the switch between the starter and battery and the other terminal is a 12v output for accessories, etc.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

onaXR wrote:
Thanks guys, great forum you have here.
great forum WE have here, you are now a member, & so it includes you as well!:waving:

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Dave are sure that last part is right red/rd-wh combo to + battery?? doesn't go to the battery side of the solenoid? I guess it really doesn't make much difference really and I may be thinking of a 1000.
Yes that is correct. Even though those wires are not connected to the pos terminal directly they are through the main fuse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.