Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to replace the stock horn on my 1992 SE. Ideally I would like it to be hidden like the stock one but I want loud. Any suggestions? If you mounted a horn that is visible but load, do you have a photo of how it looks on your bike? I want something that is make a cager sit up and take notice.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the horns on my 1200 with a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn. It is super loud. It is an easy installation on an 1100 or 1200 but a little more difficult on a 1500 due to lack of space. Check back on the forum and there are discussions about gl1500 horn placement..............

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Those GL 1500 replacement electric horns from CHROME WORLDclaim an out put of 130 db. What are the db's from the stock standard horns.?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Just fitted a pair of new Strebel Magnum Horns to replace of the duff OEM ones in a great place that I have found. Not only do they sound louder here but it also sorts out another problem that all of us 1500 wing owners have.

When we need to do an oil and filter change or change the spark plugs we have to pull the lower cowl which can be a bit of a pig to put back on. The problem is that if you have side marker lights fitted they tend to hit the horns and stop the cowl from going back far enough.

Remove the two OEM horns. No horns - No problem.

Anyway, where to fit the two new bigger and louder horns.

Remove the left hand pocket with the leather cover on and the right hand pocket with the lock on. Then take out each of the under boxes which have four screws. You will find that there is plenty of room in front of where these boxes sit to fit each of the new horns.

Now all you need to do is run two wires up from the existing horn wires to each of the new horns. Replace boxes. VOALA!!!

The new horns come with fitting brackets and wire connectors plus a small relay that is not needed as the OEM horns go through a relay.

Total cost about £40. Two and a half hours work. Bought my horns from Nippy Norman Ltd.

Keith Davidson.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Wolo Bad Boy was what I used. Not tractor trailer loud but at least a large pickup sound. $40 on ebay and no need to change relays. Two sound even better.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

How about we all get an alphorn

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

morram wrote:

How about we all get an alphorn
Ok, do you mount the horn dolly on the front or the rear?:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

GLGREZMONKI wrote:
I just replaced the horns on my 1200 with a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn. It is super loud. It is an easy installation on an 1100 or 1200 but a little more difficult on a 1500 due to lack of space. Check back on the forum and there are discussions about gl1500 horn placement..............
Thinking about the same horn for my 1100. I saw 2 boxes full of them at Direct Line the other day, 1 box each of the black and the chrome versions.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

The Stebel Nautilus horns are very loud, I have them on one of my other bikes. For the small size they pack a loud punch.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I mounted a Wolo self contained "Bad Boy" air horn on my GL1200 STD. I bolted it on the standard horn mount on the forks and mounted the relay on the other horn mount. Not bad and big help over the stock "Beep" I believe it's the tone not just the dB that makes a difference. IMHO big rig type tones at 110dB still beat a 130 dB beep type.

I looked inside my GL1500 fairing. I didn't see much room to work with and I was concerned that it would be muffled quite a bit. I looked at the Chrome World ones and have been tempted but really wanted air horns. I could mount them under the fairing or on the side but wanted more discreet. I've seen a number of guys that talked about going under the saddlebag but haven't seen a picture. I'm leaning that way right now. Put the compressor inside the right saddle bag, easy hookup for relay, horn power and air tubing. I asked Santa for a set of air horns and if he comes thru. That's where I'm planning to mount them.

·
Premium Member
61,466 Posts
imported post

Check out the horns on a BMW there small and sound like a Peterbilt coming.........

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I put a set of air horns on my 1500 :waving:

HERE Thats lil digger "racing" my bike :cooldevil:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
I put a set of air horns on my 1500 :waving:

HERE Thats lil digger "racing" my bike :cooldevil:
Looks like the bike is ready for a jaust!!! From either side!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Keith Davidson wrote:
When we need to do an oil and filter change or change the spark plugs we have to pull the lower cowl which can be a bit of a pig to put back on.
Keith Davidson.
I used to change oil that way butyou really don't have to take the lower cowl off to change oil and filter Keith, There's enough room to reach up and get the filter off through the opening in the bottom of the lower cowl. A strap type filter wrench will slip in to remove the filter if it's to tight to do by hand.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I saw a piece on that bike and it's horns somewhere on the 'net a couple years ago. I believe those are horns off a diesel locomotive.

Here's a picture of my 1500. I have Rivco rear mount air horns under the right saddlebag, the compressor is mounted in the inner wall of the right saddlebag. Plenty loud, several forum members can vouch for that.:cooldevil:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.