Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Apparently I have misplaced my only key for my GW.:doh: The reason it is my only key, non of the locksmiths have the key blank to make one with. I can reason OK about that, since I doubt they would carry key blanks they haven't needed for so long.

Anyhow, a question. If I could get my hands on a Key blank, could the locksmith look up, by my frame number/registration number and cut a key from that information? I know they can do it for cars, but can they do it with motorcycles like my 81 GL 1100 Interstate?

If not, I'm looking at taking my lock out, so they can use it to make a key, provided I can get a blank key. Or I'm looking at buying a lock and key from some uused GW parts dealer. Can anybody pleasehelp me find a KEY Blank ? :baffled::crying::baffled:
Rockhound Rider :coollep:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

most locksmiths have them. you might search the board for the blank number. Unfortunately they are usually taller than the stock key. You will probably have to take off your ignition switch and usually the numbers are stamped on the barrel. JB

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Stray Dog! :clapper:I'll check with these places first thing in the morning,firstto see if their still in business, given the state of the economy on small businesses and to see if it is possible to cut the key also, using the resgistration number, off course that was a long time ago, a real long time ago and the guy was a brother inlaw and a locksmith, but he isn't in the picture now plus he went out of business due to a fire.

Thank again

Rockhound Rider :coollep:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

My '83 key (same as all GL1100) has the blank number Ilco X64 and HD74. I would be that the HD74 is the correct Ilco part number.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A local old time locksmith made me a spare ignition key from a Honda car blank that was just a tad longer before he cut it. Works perfectly on all locks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.