Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!! You guys that work on, or know about, RV Roof Top a/c units. how much Temperature Differential should there be? My unit is only doing 10°F differential between Inlet and Outlet temps.

mine is a Dometic 59530.(X)3(X)(X) and the compressor pulls 8.0 amps at full run, 120 VAC of course.
I just installed a new fan blade for the outside heat exchanger, old one was warped.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, it has always been extremely marginal.....

to keep it comfy during the heat of the day, you better have it running before the Wx gets hot.

I just never have known how much of a Temp Differential it is supposed to be capable of.

I will call Dometic later today and find out from them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
20 to 25 degrees differential. Ducked or non ducked ceiling assm.if ducked remove air filter and look into plenum check for any cross air exchange of input air mixing with output air.seal any leaks with silver ac tape.also low fan coils more air.high fan moves more air.the slower air moves the more cold it can absorb. Was RV tech for 25 yrs.retired for 3.aldo check mounting bolts if loose can pull outside air under gasket.bolts should be tightened to half gasket thickness.around half inch compressed.good luck

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well, when I first posed this question, the humidity was 85% and the trailer interior at 91*F

after the a/c had run non-stop for 3 days set on Auto at 74*,

I checked it again just before tearing down to head for Colorado.

ambient at 74* and discharge at 59*

so, when all of the humidity was gone, it started working about like it ought to.
that's about 15* and workable. here now, at Limon, Colorado the ambient 77 outside, trailer was still at about 80+ something, felt warm when we opened the door.

but after about 30 minutes the interior is 74 again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds good.dometic units are a sealed unit no pressure taps for recharging. Life expectancy 8 to 10 yrs.if you can clean condenser and evaporator with air pressure to reduce lint and dirt build up.it will help it to last.also blow off air filter or replace with every month of use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You got it all covered.check Airbus for leaks.maybe tape up plenum, factory install is done in under ten minutes on moving line.many retaped under warranty before sold.try it on low fan and see if it cools down any better.if your tatar has fan on or auto,set for fan on.in auto it has to get air recirculation started everytime it kicks back on.in on position air is already circulating and compressor cycles.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dad put a penguin AC Unit on his pop up camper. It would keep you very cool in hot weather.

I will definitely look into that.

This one, while it works is very marginal. Right now, the coach interior is 69,
the discharge is 59, and ambient is 85.

that is only 10°F differential.

We have to be very cautious to keep the door closed, and if opened, shut it fast. :frown2:
it appears that is also a Dometic product, and available in 13,500 and 15,500 BTU

but at $600 average cost, it will be a while before I splurge on that, most likely as long as this one continues to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts