Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to trade into a 1000 located in central California. I am located in N.E. Washington.

You folks that pull some big campers etc. have any idea if my 87 would be up to the task of trailering the 1000 home? I have a cargo trailer myself and have made a couple of trips around the state with no problems, but I have only hauled about 425 pounds (gross) on the heavy side. The bike handled it fine with two-up, even handling the North Cascades Highway.

From what I find the 1000 comes in around 585 pounds and that would not include the weight of the hauler.

The whole questions comes up because we don't get many riding opportunities, so if it could be done with the bike it would count as a 'fun' trip.

It would be at least a 'little fun' to drive the cage down to acquire another wing tho......:baffled:

Thanking in advance for any input!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
There is a possibility it would do it but you could run into a local or state cop that says you are overloaded.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I'd not do it.

Not for that distance. In fact, not for 50 miles.

The trailer hitches that I have installed/uninstalled on GL-1200s aren't frame-attached, and instead, attach to the luggage frame.

Also you're overpowering your brakes by a large margin.

Use a truck.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I'd not do it.

Not for that distance. In fact, not for 50 miles.

The trailer hitches that I have installed/uninstalled on GL-1200s aren't frame-attached, and instead, attach to the luggage frame.

Also you're overpowering your brakes by a large margin.

Use a truck.
I am with Rusty, There is absolutely no margin for error and the last thing you ever want is the trailer controlling the tow vehicle which would definitely happen in this scenario.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I have pulled some 500# loads behind my 1200 and it is OK but definitely not for beginners. I have also pulled my daughters 250# scooter, and a 350# Cl350 in my trailer behind my Wing. now a GL1000 would weigh a lot more than either of those bikes. Is it doable? Sure, but definitely not advisable. If you do do this make sure that you have a very light weight trailer to haul the bike on.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
You're looking at some fairly hilly country enroute, that's going to be a load on the bike both uphill and especially downhill. You'd be adding another one and a half Goldwing weights on your brakes. Not to mention the results of what a panic stop would do to that combination and it's rider(s). I'd take the cage. It certainly can be done with the bike but for safety sake, especially if your SO is going along, I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
You also have to consider the Syskyos mountains. I got stuck a couple years ago in
April, couldn't make it over due to snow.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Pulling a load like you're describing is one thing, STOPPING in a straight line is another, especially if you're on a down hill grade. My advise as a retired long haul trucker with 3,000,000 accident free miles (yes 3 million) is DON"T DO IT. I live in Central California & will be willing to help you with delivery to Washington if needed....-Rich

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I think I would decline that much of a tow load. Getting going would be a crazy load on the clutch, that is a LOT of tongue weight on a skimpy frame, and braking would be scary. If you did it, going say 55 mph, and a guy pulls out in front of you, ...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Also, I had to GL1000's and I want to say they were over the stated weight.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
One way to look at it is that with that load it would be the same effect as riding your bike with less than half its braking power. Not to mention the problem of keeping things in a straight line if you had to brake or hit a little bit of sand or oil on the road. Redeye1620 is telling you the straight dope, keeping things straight in hard braking is difficult enough with a four wheeler doing the towing, on a bike it can be a real disaster if you should have a jackknife accident. To me towing a load half the weight of the bike is a reasonable limit, anything over that things can get bad very fast.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
The biggest issue actually isn't keeping it a straight line during hard braking. The biggest issue is when you have to use brakes at all when you are NOT in a straight line. That much weigh is going to push the rear end of your bike toward the outside of each and every curve. Eventually it's going to come around on you. And when it does there will be no way to correct it.

All that being said, I'd do it. But I'd tell anyone else it was a very bad idea.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
The more I think about it though....

There's a picture floating around the internet of a guy on a 1500 with a trailer hooked up to it and o n the trailer is a full dress Harley. The Swedish use the 1800 to tow cars. Stands to reason a 1200 could tow a 1000.

Again, I'd tell anyone thinking about it not to do it but...

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
The more I think about it though....

There's a picture floating around the internet of a guy on a 1500 with a trailer hooked up to it and o n the trailer is a full dress Harley. The Swedish use the 1800 to tow cars. Stands to reason a 1200 could tow a 1000.

Again, I'd tell anyone thinking about it not to do it but...
You also have to realize that those trailers also had their own brakes to assist in getting them stopped.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the input!!

I Have pretty much talked myself out of it with the bike a s the hauler. I'm almost on the same page as Broke Winger, and had to chuckle. I think it would be doable but my main concern is actually overdoing it on my transmission. I have 103000 on the clock, and the miles I've put on have been trouble-free. I don't want to gamble that away.

The trailer I was looking at is basically a piece of channel with axle, tires and a tongue, weighs in about 95 pounds, and carries the bike about 10 inches off the blacktop. Pretty low-slung. I thought about the installation of a surge-brake just in case...... But just because something is do-able doesn't mean I have to do it.

My bride commented on the headsets friday as we were coming down from a 5500 foot elevation pass "I don't think anybody we know would want to travel with us, we go too slow sometimes" The roads were wet, snow down to the fog-lines. Made me glad we waited until afternoon rather than pushing through the night before.

BW, I had not even thought about the 'tractor and trailer' being out of alignment when dynamiting the brakes (or even gradual braking, especially down-hill) That could cause a pucker-factor!

Redeye1620....thanks for the advise and the very kind offer. I will keep that in mind when I get this all ironed out, and see where I land.

Thanks again to everyone for the input and info.
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
So, you read all this, and that was your take-away?

It's really interesting how you process information.

:)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:ROFL:Now that got my curiosity up rgbeard.

Just to inform myownself, what is YOUR take-away from the information I recieved, and what would be the normal way to process these responses?:?

I've known for some time that I perceive things differently than 'normal' people. I'm not too thin-skinned, so enlighten me as to what I missed?:sadguy:

Ansimp....my apologies ahead of time for dragging this out just a bit further.......

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Like any information you glean from any source. What you get you decide for yourself the value of the advice. If none of it makes sense then discard it. If some things cause you to think about something you hadn't considered, then you may have gotten something useful. The end result is up to the person receiving info. Since some members here have had experiences with trailers both towing with bikes, cars and trucks. We all will have had different experiences with those trailers so our advice may well be different. It's up to the person asking what to believe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.